• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many birders don't own a car (1 Viewer)

how many birders dont own a car

been driving for 19yrs now. since started birding, occasionally dump the car and hit the sideroads. this way, u get to see more.

I don't have a car at the moment.
Disadvantages:
- I find the lay-out of the East Anglian railways frustrating... and I'd like to take a bike along which is usually impossible as there are always railway replacement buses.
- Getting somewhere early is impossible unless you travel the day before and find a place to stay.
- A car is a lot better than a bike in bad weather or after dark.
Advantages:
- No chance of getting overweight.
- I don't like driving that much.
- Not having a car saves a lot of money I can use to buy a ticket to a more interesting birding location and rent a car there. So I'm not saving the planet either...

I have a car, mainly because I don't like public transport and it is also inconvenient and expensive.

If I want to go to the Isle of Wight's best nature reserve at Newtown, it would take me a good couple of hours to get there on public transport, including at least one change of bus then a long walk, and I would get very little, if any, change from £10 or £15. In the car it takes less than half an hour, depending on traffic, and £20 of petrol lasts me two to three weeks, including driving to work and back each day (18 mile round trip) and the odd visit to Newtown or St Catherines (for example).

I'm not that keen on driving, I admit, but ditching the car is just not practical. Besides, I positively loathe bus and railway stations, they're often dirty, cold and unsafe and the pros of owning a car outweigh the cons for me.

One of Staffordshire's top birders, who will remain nameless, and has a life list nearing 500, hasn't got a car and has never had one. He gets lifts from other people.

it certainly affects your birding quite a bit up ive never felt its hindered me, it forces you (in a good way) to do a local patch a lot and quite often your at the same site for a long time walking around a lot (resulting in finding stuff you may have missed on a whistlestop tour). I rely on public transport and thankfully theres a bus that goes all the way along the coast. Also get lots of lifts which adds to the social side but unfortunately hitchhiking seems to be a thing of the past.

I always thought if I moved to Norfolk, which was being considered at one point, I'd make darn sure I'd be on the coastal hopper route ... it's an excellent service. Then I thought of all the inland spots that would be difficult to get to, even worse than Sussex .... last time in Norfolk, I waited two hours for a bus that never showed to get to Wells.... they only had two, one of which had broken down! Trips abroad have never been a problem, nor has it been when I've done Scotland and Western Isles. However, I agree it does effect your birding but only to the extent that your annual lists may be shorter for not twitching, or there are some species that will be difficult to get unless you car share. The biggest gripe for me is that a good proportion of the birding day is spent traveling and it's impossible to get anyway much before 8.30 am which is half way through the day in the summer! Fortunately, most of the Sussex Bird list is attainable by public transport, it's just rarities that others have found that end up being missed at times. Having said that, I haven't done too badly over the years.

and perhaps it's a timely point to say thanks again to VB who's generosity with her own car enabled me to sample the delights of IoW birding!!

At 46, I have never driven and never want to, just not for me I guess. I have been interested in Birds and Wildlife for well over 30 years now, has it bothered me...nope. Yes I have missed out on some great birds, but generally it never wrecks my days out birding using public transport and enjoyment of long walks. I am fitter than most my age. And I have a UK Life list in excess of 400. :t:

At 46, I have never driven and never want to, just not for me I guess. I have been interested in Birds and Wildlife for well over 30 years now, has it bothered me...nope. Yes I have missed out on some great birds, but generally it never wrecks my days out birding using public transport and enjoyment of long walks. I am fitter than most my age. And I have a UK Life list in excess of 400. :t:

Which begs the question, how many non drivers can match a life list so big.

Got a car after 19 years with a licence in 2004. Didn't take me long to become a 'car birder' after that! :-C
They can make great 'hides'!
And who invented car window mounts?, I'd like to talk to that guy - doesn't he/she know we've got an obesity problem here in Scotland!;););)

I hate driving, one, I'm no good at it, and two, my car (bless her) has to stall at least twice before she realises we're on a main road. Also in France, indicators are often replaced with one finger salutes which doesn't make it the most pleasant experience. When I lived in Wales, I never needed a car (never got one either -that's what happens when you return from your driving test with only one wing mirror clinging on), there was plenty of good birding on foot and variety within reach of public transport. In France, I can still see decent birds just walking along the river or in the forest around the city, but to get to places to see things like passage waders and ducks, a car is a necessity. Still, if I didn't have to drive I wouldn't.

There is a family car (this means that my wife also drives it). So, when I can use it is OK. In these circumstances I can visit more then one birding site in a birding day, which is great. Driving it is a good oportunity to visit some good birding sites around Bucharest (like Comana, Giurgiu county) - with the public transport would be a little nightmare. When i visit birding places situated at relative long distance from the city, I'm usualy together with my fellow birder Florin Chirila (birdforum member), also a good driver and a car owner.;)

Last edited:
I hate driving, one, I'm no good at it, and two, my car (bless her) has to stall at least twice before she realises we're on a main road. Also in France, indicators are often replaced with one finger salutes which doesn't make it the most pleasant experience. When I lived in Wales, I never needed a car (never got one either -that's what happens when you return from your driving test with only one wing mirror clinging on), there was plenty of good birding on foot and variety within reach of public transport. In France, I can still see decent birds just walking along the river or in the forest around the city, but to get to places to see things like passage waders and ducks, a car is a necessity. Still, if I didn't have to drive I wouldn't.

We were looking at a day trip to Besancon, which is less than 100 km from Bern (mostly to look at the Roman bits), but have you seen how long it takes? Six hours! Damn' sight less by car, but we haven't got one...
Within Switzerland, though, there's not many places that can't be reached by public transport combined with less than an hour's walk.

We were looking at a day trip to Besancon, which is less than 100 km from Bern (mostly to look at the Roman bits), but have you seen how long it takes? Six hours! Damn' sight less by car, but we haven't got one...
Within Switzerland, though, there's not many places that can't be reached by public transport combined with less than an hour's walk.

Tell me about it, I've got friends flying into Geneva in April - either I let them struggle for 6 hours on trains going all over the place except here, or I go and fetch them from the airport by car in 2 and a half hours (hoping I don't get lost along the way)

BTW the Roman bits at the moment are invisible under a huge orange blanket, or at least the most significant bit is.

Odd thing is, on the maps there is a train line running from Neuchatel in that direction over the Jura, but nothing seems to run on it...
Having said that, seeing how people drive here, I wouldn't want a car even if it was given to me. I can usually count on three cars going straight through pedestrian crossings of the twelve I cross on the way to work...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back