• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How many people here have had problems with their Curio focus? (2 Viewers)

b-lilja

Perhaps I was unfair in the other thread. Let's actually do a poll.

How many people here have had an issue with either the focus knob or laggy focusing?

Sample #1.

I'm not sure how much reliance one can place on a self selecting set of responses but FWIW I have had no focusing issues whatsoever with mine (10 months ownership so far and hoping I'm not tempting fate).

I've had a pair for about six months. They get almost daily carry/use during dog walks, bike rides, hikes, camping trips and the like. I carry them on a strap around my neck, sometimes tucked in a shirt pocket or just dangling. I've had no problems of any kind. I've got the black version - I'm actually surprised the metal bridge hasn't shown any wear yet.

I don’t have a pair of Curios myself but at the RSPB reserve where I volunteer, one of my friends has them as her only pair of binoculars and uses hers 4 days per week.
I mentioned the other thread about the focus wheel "problem" and she said that (during the year she’s owned her pair) she hasn’t experienced this issue.
She let me use them for 20 minutes.
I’m suitably impressed, although they wouldn’t temp me away from the 8x32 ELs I had with me

Not sure why we need another thread on the subject but...

My Curios were marvellous. No problems whatsoever for 10 months. There was no warning they had been behaving just as normal that day, I went to get them out of my bag and they had no focus knob.

I still think they are excellent binoculars. Things break. They are currently away at Swarovski getting repaired, when they are back I will carry on using them as my goto pocket binoculars. If they break again, I will send them back to be repaired again. That is what a warranty is for. I would rather they didn't break but it is far better than my Papillos which broke and were supposedly warrantied but nobody wanted to know.

I take mine out almost every day since a year back. Usually I carry it in a sock in my pocket and use a handstrap when I take it out.
So far I have not had any issues whatsoever.

I have my Curio now for almost a year and had no problem whatsoever with it, It is a very good binocular in my opinion as I also wrote in my test report., see the WEB-site of House of Outoor.
Gijs van Ginkel

Bought mine in May 2022 and use it quite a bit (at least a couple of times a week on average). So far absolutely no problems with the focuser (and incidentally also no problems with the orange rubber armor).

To be clear why I'm doing a second thread, I actually took some posts to heart and felt like perhaps my blanket statement was too harsh and the title wasn't explanatory. I thought I should be more evidence based and really find out how many focus issues people have actually had.

I did a quick search and so far four people have reported issues that I found: me, denco, mono, and scott98.

Considering how many people actually post here, not sure if that's a lot or a little or in the middle.

To be clear - I have owned many many bins and never had a failure. It has just been frustrating to be on a long expensive trip and have something give out like this. I posted a long initial review of these and said my main reservation was that they didn't seem that tough - frustrating to have one's impressions confirmed (fool me once and all that).

Last edited:
I had a Curio I received from the seller where the focuser was rolling around in the box when I received them. They were the orange ones, if that makes any difference.

I did a quick search and so far four people have reported issues that I found: me, denco, mono, and scott98.
I did report a problem but I didn't actually own them, I bought a demo pair and they arrived with a damaged focuser. If I wanted to keep them I would have been able to get a new pair. I liked them but decided I wanted something larger, like 7x35's.

Four out of the relatively small sample size of our group is a pretty high percentage and seems like an issue to me. I’ve looked over my focuser since this thread and everything seems good, but I’ll be watching it like a Hawk from now on. I imagine if that many get returned for falling off focuser, Swarovski is taking it to not and working on a design fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back