• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to set the default (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Blooking updates. Windows updated last night and has lost a setting. Can't remember how to do it.

Previously when I double-clicked on a picture it opened it up in my editing programme (Paint.net). Today it's opening in some app called Photos, which is no use to man nor beast as far as I can tell.

Trouble is I can't remember how to get that setting back; been trying a few things but can't see the option anywhere at the moment.

I can select it manually, but that's more time-consuming than the double-click!

grrrr.

How about if you type: default apps into your bottom left 'Type here to search' box (next to your 'microsoft flag start' button). Choose 'Default apps', should say 'System settings' just under it.

Then go down the displayed 'Choose default apps' list and select what you want (probably 'Photo viewer') and select the app (Paint.net) you want to associate as default from the list.

Make sense? Cos I've no idea what I'm talking about :brains:

Last edited:
Oooh.... thanks John.

Yes, it seems to have worked. The menus are not very informative as to what you should do, so thanks for your instructions I got there LOL.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow that it still works!!!

A similar problem: On the laptop my wife use there is an old installation of office (2007?). There also is a leftover from when we bought it, a newer office that has never been activated. It will not let me make the old winword the default program for *.doc documents. It will allow me to open the older Word and find the document from there.
Any good ideas to get back to having the older version as default?

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back