• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How you assess 10 x 30 IS II compared to 10 x 42 L IS WP ? (1 Viewer)

Ted Y.

Forum member
Canada
Is the optical quality so different to justify twice the price?

How about the stabilization? It is a small difference, but it is relevant?

The answer to the first question is yes. And you also get waterproofing that may or may not important to you. But you also need to take into account that the 10x42 is A LOT heavier.

The answer to the second question is no. I don't see much of a difference between the stabilisers of the 10x42 and the 10x30.

Hermann

I agree with Herman. All the Canon IS binoculars are good optically and the IS is about the same on all of them, but the 10x42 IS-L is the only one that uses Canon's best L glass. The Canon 10x42 IS-L is the only Canon IS binocular that is really the equal optically to most of the best alpha binoculars, and it has IS on top of that. IMO, it gives you one of the best handheld views of any binocular you can buy.

Last edited:
I agree with Herman. All the Canon IS binoculars are good optically and the IS is about the same on all of them, but the 10x42 IS-L is the only one that uses Canon's best L glass. The Canon 10x42 IS-L is the only Canon IS binocular that is really the equal optically to most of the best alpha binoculars, and it has IS on top of that. IMO, it gives you the best handheld view of any binocular you can buy.
"...best handheld view of any binocular you can buy".
So Dennis you've tried them all? Better than the Nikon 7x50 WX view?
;)

With the Canon weighing a mere 1210g :rolleyes: and the batteries lasting maybe 2 hours (depending on the temperature :unsure: ) you'll need couple of spares in your pocket, which means carrying (though not holding) about 1430g.

Notwithstanding the possibility of carrying 1210g using a harness of some sort, I'm hardly tempted. Having to buy copious packets of batteries, or faffing about ensuring three rechargeables for a daily outing.
And good quality batteries ain't cheap.

And birding binoculars for me need to be waterproof. Yesterday was a case in point, went out in lovely sunshine without jackets, not expecting rain, but we were caught in one of the heaviest English downpours that I can remember in the North of England. Shoes and clothes absolutely soaked, car aquaplaned, yet didn't worry for a moment about my Leica UV 10x32.

That's my 2c for today.

With the Canon weighing a mere 1210g :rolleyes: and the batteries lasting maybe 2 hours (depending on the temperature :unsure: ) you'll need couple of spares in your pocket, which means carrying (though not holding) about 1430g.
"The batteries lasting maybe 2 hours"? Is that based on personal experience? Any references?

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.
Having to buy copious packets of batteries, or faffing about ensuring three rechargeables for a daily outing.
And good quality batteries ain't cheap.
Three rechargeables for a daily outing? You mean three sets?

Sorry, once again, you don't know what you're talking about.
And birding binoculars for me need to be waterproof. Yesterday was a case in point, went out in lovely sunshine without jackets, not expecting rain, but we were caught in one of the heaviest English downpours that I can remember in the North of England. Shoes and clothes absolutely soaked, car aquaplaned, yet didn't worry for a moment about my Leica UV 10x32.
Good for you. However, you know Canon actually recommends soaking the 10x42s in a bucket of water if they get really dirty? They ARE waterproof as well.

Hermann

Hermann,
I was talking about the suitablilty of binoculars for birding, you having already answered the OP questions succinctly.
The last bit about waterproofing which was fired at the other IS bins, not the 10x42 (my bad writing).
Do you think non-waterproof binoculars are suitable for birding?

Do you think such a heavy binocular as the Canon 10x42 is suitable to carry for birding? I took my 12x50 Leicas out at the weekend and was constantly wishing I'd brought a pair of lighter x42. Age catching up with me I guess.

It's some years since I tried IS bins and rather than point you to reviews which say the batteries last about 2 hours and which may be out of date I'd rather ask you, how long do the current AA type batteries work for? How long do the latest rechargeable batteries work for? Do you carry spares?
I can only imagine it's like preparing & using DSLR kits

Do you think non-waterproof binoculars are suitable for birding?
I only use non-waterproof binoculars when I can be sure it's going to be a dry day nowadays, and I wouldn't buy any non-waterproof binoculars for birding. That's why I'm not interested in the Retrovid, for instance.

However, I remember the times when almost nobody used waterproof binoculars. In the early 1980s most birders in the UK, for instance, used porros like the Swift Audubon or Zeiss Jena Jenoptems that were not waterproof, or Leitz Trinovids or Zeiss Dialyts that weren't waterproof either.
Do you think such a heavy binocular as the Canon 10x42 is suitable to carry for birding? I took my 12x50 Leicas out at the weekend and was constantly wishing I'd brought a pair of lighter x42. Age catching up with me I guess.
Suitable - yes, provided you use a harness., especially when birding in difficult terrain. Ideal - no, lighter is always better IMO. However, the advantages of the stabiliser are such that I put up with the weight (and the hassle of using a harness). I just did a few long hikes in the Scandinavian mountains, and the big Canon worked well for me. BTW, I'm not young anymore either.
It's some years since I tried IS bins and rather than point you to reviews which say the batteries last about 2 hours and which may be out of date I'd rather ask you, how long do the current AA type batteries work for? How long do the latest rechargeable batteries work for? Do you carry spares?
I normally use the black Sanyo Eneloop rechargeables, never alkalines for obvious reasons. They last a minimum of 3-4 days of birding with my use. I carry a spare set, usually Energizer Lithiums, in case I run out of juice.

Hermann

Herman,
That's encouraging about the Eneloop battery life I have to say, 3-4 days is more than acceptable for my use.
Here's the review which I found pretty positive, except there's no getting round the weight (and the battery lifespan which you have resolved):

I agree absolutely about waterproofing. Don't take my Nikon E11 much beyond the back garden these days.
I recall in the 80's & 90's travelling light, we used take plastic bags in our pockets in case it rained, quickly wrapping the binocular (or camera kit).

Andy

The summary says it all! Nice review by Kimmo.

"With three reservations, the Canon 10x42 L IS is the best 10x binocular currently available. If you get an optically good sample, can deal with the weight issue and learn to live with the uncomfortable eye cups, the Canon will offer unparalleled image quality even without the stabilization feature. On top of this, stabilization brings so much added value in so many situations that once you have got used to it, you might find it very difficult to be satisfied with traditional binoculars again."

The heaviest binocular I remember seeing anybody carrying outdoors in England is a Swaro 10x50EL weighing 999g.

The Canon 10x42IS weighs 1219g !

(See Binoculars Today website) It is surely not designed to be carried far, certainly the vast majority of birders will consider it far too heavy.

I'm guessing most astronomers would want a 50mm objective size, larger exit pupil, and larger field of view than the Canon10x42 offers, and anyway generally observe using a tripod for complete control.

So what market were these Canon 10x42 IS aimed at?

The heaviest binocular I remember seeing anybody carrying outdoors in England is a Swaro 10x50EL weighing 999g.

(See Binoculars Today website) It is surely not designed to be carried far, certainly the vast majority of birders will consider it far too heavy.

I'm guessing most astronomers would want a 50mm objective size, larger exit pupil, and larger field of view than the Canon10x42 offers, and anyway generally observe using a tripod for complete control.

Well, based on the number of posts you have made about it in a very short time, it has definitely piqued your interest :D

Check Cloudy Night's sometime. The Canon 10x42 IS-L because of its flat field and IS is considered one of the best hand held binoculars for astronomy. Its view is unrivaled on the night sky. I would imagine boaters would use them also, and anybody that wants the advantage of a stabilized view. For birders because of their weight they are probably used more in static birding situations where you are not doing a lot of hiking, but with a good harness they are really no problem to carry. I also use mine to spot game like wolves and bears in the huge open areas and river valleys of Rocky Mountain National Park and Yellowstone National Park.

The Canon 10x42 IS-L because of its flat field and IS is considered one of the best hand held binoculars for astronomy. or birders because of their weight they are probably used more in static birding situations where you are not doing a lot of hiking, but with a good harness they are really no problem to carry.
At present I use the Canons for just about anything, including for hiking. I resisted using a harness for years because of all the hassle, however, I now find harnesses work pretty well once you get used to them. Yesterday we did a 9 mile hike in the mountains, and sure, I did feel the weight a bit, but it was fine.

Hermann

takitam: Yup, it has actually, now I know batteries will last a reasonable time.

Hermann has unquestionably stated their worth to him and how he deals with the weight. Coming from an experienced forum member, I listen.
Dennis from what I understand has implied he uses it mainly as a car binocular.

The Canon is not the heaviest binocular-with-harness a forum member has used for birding (FL 8x56 @ 1320g). I've carried one weighing less at 1134g for birding bandolier style and (one time) even tried a heavier 9x63 at 1340g. on a short trial walk. My current go to bin is a regular x42, but, hey, I have no doubts the future is electronic.
The Canon are rare, stock in Leeds, Norwich, so I'll make a trip next time we go to our London flat.

I'm interested to know how any other owners make use of it, especially in preference to other binoculars?

Well, I remember seeing birders carrying a Zeiss 15x60 over here. I also remember one birder who carried a smallish binocular+the Zeiss 20x60S (over the shoulder) and a scope ... 😀 Henry used to use the 8x56 FL, not exactly a lightweight.
I agree, for many birders it will be too heavy. And I will certainly switch to a lighter pair if I feel it would work for me better in a particular situation.
The birding market.

Hermann

@CharleyBird @Hermann Regarding the battery life, it must be the weather, because with regular use I get 2 - 3 months of battery life with my Canon 12x36 IS III with "normal" (Energizer and the like) batteries. So much so, that I bough some Eneloops online (like the ones I use for my speedlight), but while the Eneloop came I bought a packet of batteries and have not been able to use the Eneloop so far (due to the incredible longevity of regular batteries).
Obviously, it will depend on how many hours in the field you use them, but I usually go birding for several ours, and the Canon IS III 12x36 have seen no less than 180 days of use in one year, getting that average 2 - 3 months. Battery life was in fact one of my main concerns, but I greatly overstated it. Now I have the Canon IS II 10x30, I've been using it for more than one month and it looks like it's going to follow on its bigger brother's steps.

@CharleyBird @Hermann Regarding the battery life, it must be the weather, because with regular use I get 2 - 3 months of battery life with my Canon 12x36 IS III with "normal" (Energizer and the like) batteries. So much so, that I bough some Eneloops online (like the ones I use for my speedlight), but while the Eneloop came I bought a packet of batteries and have not been able to use the Eneloop so far (due to the incredible longevity of regular batteries).
Obviously, it will depend on how many hours in the field you use them, but I usually go birding for several ours, and the Canon IS III 12x36 have seen no less than 180 days of use in one year, getting that average 2 - 3 months. Battery life was in fact one of my main concerns, but I greatly overstated it. Now I have the Canon IS II 10x30, I've been using it for more than one month and it looks like it's going to follow on its bigger brother's steps.
How would You compare those two IS binoculars (10x30 vs. 12x36)?

Regarding the battery life, it must be the weather, because with regular use I get 2 - 3 months of battery life with my Canon 12x36 IS III with "normal" (Energizer and the like) batteries. So much so, that I bough some Eneloops online (like the ones I use for my speedlight), but while the Eneloop came I bought a packet of batteries and have not been able to use the Eneloop so far (due to the incredible longevity of regular batteries).
Thus far I put in fresh Sanyo Eneloops after 4 days of birding (8-10 hours a day in temperatures between 8 and 16 Centigrade), but admittedly more because I heard the stabilizer may act funny when the Eneloops get depleted. I never ran a set of Eneloops dry yet, so I may well have been far too conservative.

As an aside: I never use normal batteries (alkalines) at all anymore. I had too many cases of alkalines leaking over the years.
Great information. Thank you.

Hermann

takitam: Yup, it has actually, now I know batteries will last a reasonable time.
I'm glad to hear that you are willing to try them and hope you will like them. These bins have some limitations, for me that is mostly size as they take a lot of space in the case, and the eyecups which are a bit of a pain to set up. Otherwise, they are wonderful and offer better and more enjoyable view than anything I have tried among premium binoculars. I find it interesting that it took over ten years for birdforum to show any serious interest in them. I used to be one of the 'traditionalists' stating that any electronics in binoculars is a big no-no... but then I tried them and changed my mind completely.

They are a compromise in some areas but viewing quality and pleasure aren't one of them. 10x30IS II would be my close second choice. They are perfect for someone who needs bins as a tool, much more compact but you can see almost as much detail. Stabilisation works equally good and they were easier to use for me because of the eyecups. The only issue is having to keep the button pressed all the time. 10x42L is for optics afficionados who want the premium quality view and a better quality product overall. In the end, I chose the latter but could be happy with either of those. Keep in mind I just use them for general observation from time to time, (they were nice to have in the zoo for some staring contests with animals ;) and I plan to learn something about astronomy in the future.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back