• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How you store and transport your binoculars (1 Viewer)

joe101

Hey how do you guys store your binoculars at home and transport your binoculars when traveling ?

Last edited:
We have a lightweight plastic box with a detachable lid that has our 'birding' kit in it. The bins go in there inside their field cases. The box also has maps, ID guides, waterproof stadium blanket, etc.

If we go out in the car for a day out, we just put the box in the trunk along with the usual gear (boots, jackets, etc...), plus the camera kit.

I haven't travelled by plane with the bins, but if I did they would most likely go in my hand luggage. Though if I were going on a trip by air that needed a pair of bins, I would also be taking camera gear. So a new Peli case would have to be part of the cost of the trip.

Peli cases are excellent and would serve well for storing and day tripping. Hmmm, may have to get one anyway..... :)

Hey how do you guys store your binoculars at home and transport your binoculars when traveling ?

The bins are stored at home on a high shelf in a relatively dry environment inside the house. Depending on the mode of transportation they could end up in the back of the car for short trips. For air and ocean travel they are in a small carry-on bag with all the other stuff that should not be checked in luggage. A Pelican case strikes me as overkill if you have the bins with you.

Last edited:
It would not be overkill when you are trekking in the rainforest and have to do river crossing and boating up rapids

It would not be overkill when you are trekking in the rainforest and have to do river crossing and boating up rapids

If the binoculars were modern roof waterproofs it sure would be! A float strap or harness is all you need on the river or ocean.

I have an 8x20 Zeiss in a case on my belt or in a pocket pretty much all the time. This is also my primary "travelling" binocular as its size is so conducive to easy carrying.

My full sized bins lay around on counters and desks in my home, ready to be grabbed should some bird, rabbit, deer, moose, etc. wander around my yard.

If travelling with a full size bin, then I always keep them close at hand (in a backpack or briefcase, or around my neck, etc. You never know when you will see something that you want to view closer. A bin in a box in a trunk just won't do. Of course, I live in what most people think of as the wilderness so; opportunities to see things may be a bit more common for me.

A word of warning re:driving with binos round your neck.Most seat belts have pre tensors in case an accident ALWAYS put your binos on top of the seat belt otherwise when the pre tensors operate the binos are pushed into your chest and could cause injury.In addition check out the instructions for the airbags,these could also cause injury if they hit your binos and push threm into your chest.Be safe out there and enjoy your birding Eddy.

In the summer, when we need to park in the sun during lunch, we leave our optics/cameras in the trunk in an insulated cooler, as a vehicle's interior temperature can reach 150 degrees F (65.5 C) in less than an hour -- close to the maximum storage temperature for binoculars.

Mike

Last edited:
round my neck, they never leave my side nor does my camera. I would feel lost without both. I dont have a mobile I hate the damn things so these are my comfort blanket

In the summer, when we need to park in the sun during lunch, we leave our optics/cameras in the trunk in an insulated cooler, as a vehicle's interior temperature can reach 150 degrees F (65.5 C) in less than an hour -- close to the maximum storage temperature for binoculars.

Mike

Nice idea , I used to do that with film

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back