• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

There was a Sandwich Tern fishing offshore last night, about 200 Great-crested Grebes on a flat calm sea. My first Swallow went through this morning.

There have been plenty of Willow Warblers about and today I saw and rather belatedly added a Sand Martin for the year.

Last edited:
Two Wheatears and a male Whinchat on the front garden wall this morning. The Wheatears, true to form for the first in, as opposed to from the garden, where Greenland-types. The Whinchat was the first of the year.

About half an hour ago I saw a Red-breasted flycatcher. Unfortunately it was being transported to the bird observatory on Hilbre in a bag, so not really claimable.

I think I'd be pushing it. Quite few Terns about yesterday, including my first Arctic Tern of the year. I woke this morning to think I had an Osprey heading for the house. Once my eyes started focussing properly I realised it was a Heron struggling to gain height.

Two Whitethroats and a sprinkling of Willow Warblers yesterday. A Bonxie and and pale phase Arctic Skua today.

I must get on with the decorating.

I forgot yesterday's female Scaup and Arctic Tern. All Aythyas are rare here, but Scaup is much the commonenst. Rather quiet today, just two Willow Warblers and a small movement of Swallows.

The sea is surprisingly busy though, probably 150 Gannet, a Kittiwake, 90+ Sandwich Terns and a few Common Terns. ALso two dark phase Arctic Skuas.

Today I was astounded to see 7 Mute Swans fly over the tide line. They are less than annual and this is much the highest count ever!

There have been dribs and drabs of migrants through May. Mostly Willow Warblers and Whitethoats, but also a few Spotted Flycatchers, Sedge Warblers, a single Reed Warbler and a fem (presumed) Greenland Wheatear that tried to get in through the patio window.

Not sure if it was a late spring migrant or an early returning bird, but there was a female Whitethroat in the front garden this lunchtime.

There are Manxies streaming past in parties of up to 50 tonight. I've not been counting properly, but reckon I've seen more than 300 and had I been watching full time I'd be past 500. A few Kittiwakes and Gannets with them, probably 50 of each.

There have been juv Peregrines on the beach for the last few evenings, there are the first returning Sanderling of the autumn (35) and slightly against expectations, the Swifts have managed to fledge a juv.

Last edited:
Lots of Manx Shearwaters moving again, 145 in less two hours from 10. 7 Fulmar, 35 Scoter, 26 Kittiwakes and about 100 Gannets too. 6 Sanderling and a Peregrine on the beach.

Hoping for a Balearic Shearwater, perhaps later today - some of the Manxies are close enough to see their eyes!

An extra smart Ad Mediterranean Gull today. It came off the beach after and flew inland just past the office window. The first returning (Red) Knot too, living up to their American name.

Six adult and one 1st Summer Kittiwakes mixed in with the 70 or soSandwich Terns on the beach in the high tide roost today. Non-breeding birds in the the summer gull roost is a not unusual phenomenon, but its just about the only time of year I see Kittiwakes on the beach.

Sea looks promising this evening, but not lot of activity on it. 5 mins scanning about produced 5 or so Gannets, 20 Sandwich Terns, 10 Common Terns and Arctic Skua and a very fluttery Manx Shearwater that got me briefly excited.

Looks like there are some sprats close inshore today. 60+ Gannets and 20 Kittiwakes in a feeding flock. Plenty of Terns too, 120 Sandwich Terns, 50 Common Terns, my first Arctic Tern of the Autumn, and the highlight a Black Tern, which passed through. Further out there are a few Manx Shearwaters and Fulmars and at least three Arctic Skuas.

Heat haze is getting up - I'll have a longer look this evening.

The first returning Bar-tailed Godwit was on the beach yesterday, as well as a really blotchy partial leucistic Oystercatcher... I bailed out to Manchester on a Hippo hunt before I got chance to go through the gulls/terns properly, but there were two Ad Mediterranean Gulls on my first sweep.

So far today, two interacting Peregrines on the beach as well as two stonking summer plumage Grey Plovers. Will try to count the terns/gulls today.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back