• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (1 Viewer)

Thanks again - the boy is making a strong case to watch the football at present....

Won't even try and compete with those pics by the way - it is a Rhode Island Red isn't it?! ;)

Its currently too rough and drizzly to see anything. I'll wait for the sea to come to me a bit more before trying too hard.

Nice weather for a Sooty! Saw what might be the last Swift of the year having no trouble with the wind!

Not a single Skua today. One Storm Petrel three or four times (or three or four SPs) but since it kept ditching, I suspect one! Two Turnstone, 35 Gannets and 15 Manx Shearwaters. 6 or so Little Terns fished in the gutter on the incoming tide.

That's a really small Woolies Des, no room in the window display for my posterior.

There must be some "proper" photos of this beast by now. Its very approachable. I marched out to stop two people with dogs from flushing the waders, and its didn't move.

Attachments

• bf.JPG
    bf.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 292
Starting to blow quite hard here (and from the best direction - W)

A seawatch 9-10am produced a lot of common birds and a couple of local rarities. Loads of Auks moving West, 475 Guillemots/auk spp - nearly all of the close birds were positively ID'd as Guillemot, 2 Razorbill and one Puffin. Also moving west were 1 Manx Shearwater, an Arctic Skua, 195 Gannets, 115 Kittiwakes 45 Common Terns, 2 Arctic Terns, 6 Sandwich Terns, 45 Common Scoter and a Tufted Duck

Looking good for tomorrow - I'm expecting more Tubenoses and Skuas if the wind holds.

Another 255 Common Scoter this evening and a Leach's Petrel close into the promenade (over the sand). Clearly I'd been looking too far out earlier. Lost what looked to be a LT Skua too.

Still blowing well here.

Irish Sea:
West veering northwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8. Rough or very rough. Squally showers. Moderate or good.

Mystery photograph time. I don't have any pics of this where it is readily identifiable :)

8 Leach's Petrels, 12 Red-throated Divers, 195 Common Scoter, Eider, 2 Wigeon, 19 Manx Shearwaters, 7 Arctic Skuas, 15 Gannet 40 Common Terns, 3 Arctic Terns, 6 Guillemot, the Puffin again and 20 Kittiwakes this morning. (plus what looked to be a juv Sabs at 10.03 that I got onto way too late to see enough to claim) oh and the mystery bird!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 124
Its got its arse towards you in the first pic. It cleared 2000 roosting large Larus spp off the beach, when it arrived, so effectively, I was looking for an Osprey when it lurched into view!

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back