• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hoylake Bird Observatory (3 Viewers)

I was part way through typing an entry about how I'd missed a third new bird for the house and nearly messed up a skua ID, when I got a call to say I had another chance.

Apparently about 1.30 6 Grey geese landed on the beach between Hilbre and Bird Island and orange-legs could be seen from the island. They then got up and flew along the north Wirral Shore. Unaware of this I was driving back down the prom about to turn into the house, where I was surprised to see a skua flying towards to me, having caused havoc in the Gull roost. A heavy bellied dark phase juv bird - big wing flashes - it had to be a Pom.

I pulled up the drive and nipped in for some optics. The skua landed on the beach and poceeded to vomit profusely. I suspect that it had been gorging itself on the dead seal that has singularly failed to attract and ivory gull so far. I decided to take a wander out after it. A bad plan, since when I got close enough on the pack ice to see it, I was so cold I couldn't work the camera or see much through streaming eyes...though what I could see looked more like an Arctic Skua. I came back into the house, went upstairs and managed to operate a camera from inside the office! It still looks like an Arctic!

I was about to write this up when I got a call to see the 6 geese were heading my way. I went out into the back garden, and sure enough 6 grey geese came straight at me (with the sun behind them). They turned, and it became clear that there were two species, 4 Pinkies and two slightly larger and longer-necked birds. I was waiting for them to go over, so I could get some light on them, but they turned inland and dropped.

After an interesting cross-country off road experience, where I failed to find them, I eventually located a flock of about 20 geese half hidden down a dip in the middle of the Carrs. At least two of them were White-fronted Geese.

137/197

Attachments

• SANY0059.JPG
    SANY0059.JPG
    311.5 KB · Views: 189
Two flocks of Pink-feet Moving east y'day. One of 32, and a second flock of 16 that could have been anything in the goose department but I'm assured that they were pinkies as they went past Red Rocks

18 Aythyas on the sea between Hilbre and Bird Rock were, I'm assured from Hilbre, Scaup. They'd have to have been ID'd on probability without back up! Also 128 (out of 151 Dark-bellied Brent Geese on Red Rocks and Bird Rock, with the missing birds presumably behind the latter. Quite a few RT Divers about and a good wader roost 8-10K Knot

18 Aythyas on the sea between Hilbre and Bird Rock were, I'm assured from Hilbre, Scaup. They'd have to have been ID'd on probability without back up! Also 128 (out of 151 Dark-bellied Brent Geese on Red Rocks and Bird Rock, with the missing birds presumably behind the latter. Quite a few RT Divers about and a good wader roost 8-10K Knot

Photo below Jane. ;) Re-count revealed 19.

Attachments

• Scaup 041210.jpg
    Scaup 041210.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 185
If you look at the thumbnail...... from about 6ft away from your computer, that is how they looked from here.

Try counting them then!

Nice wader roost again though being harassed by a stupid Spaniel with a brain dead owner!

I had to virtually climb on the Obs roof to get enough height to get this shot. We counted anywhere between 18 - 20 but as tide receded they showed a bit closer (to us!)

A female Tufted Duck quite low THROUGH the garden was new for the year. A good 60 Geese along the tideline were presumed Pink-feet.

That's 138 for the year

There was no wind today and the beach was very cold. As a result the sea froze as it came in. There was a nice wader roost, which remained undisturbed by birders and dog walkers. These photos were taken without magnification, so i expect the guys with big lenses got some mouth watering shots.

Out to sea, there were many duck/grebes/divers. about 30 Scaup, 12 Goldeneye, 20 Red-throated Divers, one Great Northern (new of the year) and a high three figures of Great-crested Grebes (which I didn't count). I failed to locate the expected small grebe!

139 for the year

Attachments

• SANY0007.jpg
    SANY0007.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 131
  • SANY0014.jpg
    SANY0014.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 132
  • SANY0017.jpg
    SANY0017.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 142
There was no wind today and the beach was very cold. As a result the sea froze as it came in. There was a nice wader roost, which remained undisturbed by birders and dog walkers.....

Monday was the same. The waders were very flighty up to high tide then settled and hardly moved for about 30 minutes - about 3/4 very close up to the wall and the rest about 200 yards towards Red Rocks. Birds were in a long line with the depth varying from 30 to 100, mostly Knot. Did several counts and ended up with:
890 Bar-tailed Godwit, 25,500 Knot, 2,000 Dunlin, 2 Golden Plover and 1,500 Grey Plover, very few Sanderling and no Oystercatchers. When counting Knot I find it really helps to be close AND above them in order to get a good count - otherwise I invariably under-estimate them, these were really closely packed.

West Kirby Marine Lake completely frozen over today so no ducks.

139 for the year

Have you noticed the colour ringed knot in the right hand photo from yesterday? Most of the ringed knot have two rings on each leg plus a flag. You can make out two white rings and possibly a green or light green flag on the left leg - but that's all.
I saw both legs of two CR knots on monday but one disappeared before I was certain of the ring combination - but clearly saw green over green flag over green on one leg. The other was too far way to make out and when I got closer it had put one of it's legs up which it didn't show again whilst I was there. I've got a database of 18 colour ringed knots now recorded either at Thurstaston or Hoylake and seen by several different people (not just me!). They were ringed in Ellesmere Island, northern Norway and the Wadden Sea - fascinating stuff.
See http://www.deeestuary.co.uk/news0610.htm

A flock of 45 Skylarks came in off the sea this morning - the first obvious weather movement of this species. (I also saw another substantial flock come in off the Mersey at Rock Ferry in the afternoon.) Also 3 Jackdaws

There is a Moorhen on my Dad's bird table, but alas not mine - though the stream is still running and proving very popular.

Small numbers of Fieldfares, Redwings in the gardens, a Blackcap coming to gorge on Chicken food and Skylarks still moving.

There are Woodcock prints in the garden this morning, to go with the still warm but headless one dropped by a Peregrine... its got to get on the house list soon.

I might go for a beat round the bushes later

Happily the Woodcock has just flown through the front garden and ditched in next door's garden. I have photos and will put them here later

140/198

Attachments

• SANY0011.jpg
    SANY0011.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 130
  • SANY0013.jpg
    SANY0013.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back