• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Extinction. (1 Viewer)

Cris

I found a website that talks about hummingbird extinction it says that there are an estimated 328 species yet few in the world are aware that twenty-eight (28) species, or nearly ten percent, are threatened with extinction. I had no idea that any species were indangered (let alone threatend with extinction). It makes you wonder what is making them endangered? It also says that 8 of those 28 species have a 50% chance of being extinct within 10 YEARS :eek!: . WOW to think that in ten years these species of hummers might be gone, wow what a sad thought.

Heres the link to that site http://www.hummingbirdsociety.org/hottopics/endangered.asp

Cris:
No North American species of hummingbird is on any threatened or endangered list. The species they are referring to are all tropical mountain species that are threatened primarily by habitat loss. What can we do about it? Start encouraging responsible environmental practices from corportations that do business in Central and South America.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

Even if they are not a North American species they are still something i would like to go see one day. But to think that i might never get a chance to see them well i say THAT STINKS...

Anyway the hummers here in North Florida are doing just fine here ive seen at least 2 males and 2 females. I hope they stay here for a LONG LONG TIME. But i know they wont as soon as i know it they'll be gone for the LONG winter.

Cris said:
Even if they are not a North American species they are still something i would like to go see one day. But to think that i might never get a chance to see them well i say THAT STINKS...
QUOTE]

Cris, I second that emotion! Unfortunately, this dire outcast is not restricted to just Hummingbirds but to all birds, or, for that matter, to just about all life forms. We are just at the leading edge of a massive homogenic extinction event and save an unforeseen elimination of most or all of humanity it will just get increasingly worse.

Sad.

One particulary sad thing is a hummer which lives only in patch of woodland 300 m wide. This forest is destroyed - hummer is gone :(

Cris said:

Anyway the hummers here in North Florida are doing just fine here ive seen at least 2 males and 2 females. I hope they stay here for a LONG LONG TIME. But i know they wont as soon as i know it they'll be gone for the LONG winter.

Cris:
I agree with you entirely. I put the note about North American hummingbirds in there only because, in my work, I know what happens when a note like yours hits the internet - people in my position start getting calls from people worried that our hummingbirds are in trouble and what can they do about it.

Good to hear your hummingbirds are doing well.

Mark
Bastrop, TX

One example that I have been watching over the last few years is the Honduran Emerald, which is endemic to the small country of Honduras and was only rediscovered about 15 years ago. The main area for this species is the Aguan Valley, which is an area of dry thorn forest. There is a dirt road that passes through the valley, but there are currently plans afoot to upgrade to a metalled road. The World Bank has said that they will not give the money until a full assessment has been made of the emeralds. Until then, nobody had ever even heard of them, but now there are big signs up saying how proud the locals are to have the emeralds in there area. This is of course complete hogwash; they just want the money for their road and they are chopping down the thorn forest just as fast as they ever were.
When I first visited the site in 2000 I went to the best known location, just outside of Olanchito. This has now been cut down to make a new farm. I was later shown two new areas that COHDEFOR, a Honduran conservation organisation, knew of. When I visited in December, the best of these had also been completely chopped down. The Honduran Emerald is in very great risk of exinction.

Tom

Last edited:
i hope i'll get chance to see it before it becomes extinct. i'm going to Honduras next summer. one of my favourite species is the marvellous spatuletail (Loddgesia Mirabilis) which lives in a few valleys of northern peru. it is getting rarer because the locals believe the hearts of the males are an aphrodisiac :C i've seen the similar hispaniolan emerald, endemic to the island of hispaniola in the caribbean. the males are spectacular

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
see also the Birdlife website for info on the critical Black-breasted Puffleg in Ecuador

Tim
Yea, I have yet to see it and i've been to the right place twice, unfortunately both times at the wrong time. Black-breasted Puffleg is endemic to one small tract of forest around Yanacocha. About 150-200 are estimated to exist in the world today. I believe it is the most critically endangered hummingbird in the world at the moment, though there are a few in the "critically endangered" list from birdlife international that haven't been seen in so long that they may very well be extinct unfortunately.

The andean hummingbirds of S. America are some of the most stunning birds in the world. I would encourage anyone who hasn't to go to Tandayapa in Ecuador and visit some of the surrounding areas as well such as Guango Lodge, Bellavista, Yanacocha, etc to really gain a true appreciation for the worlds hummingbirds. One major thing we CAN do is to visit these places. The only way that habitat gets preserved in these areas is by the realization that tourism dollars are just as valuable as coffee or cocoa dollars.

I would second the motion to recommend a visit to Tandayapa

For Tandayapa see the Tropical Birding Homepage. Daily visits by 15+ species of hummingbirds.

Black-legged Puffleg had a hard hit when about half its habitat burned up when they put the Oleoducto (Oil Pipeline) through.

cfagyal said:
Yea, I have yet to see it and i've been to the right place twice, unfortunately both times at the wrong time. Black-breasted Puffleg is endemic to one small tract of forest around Yanacocha. About 150-200 are estimated to exist in the world today. I believe it is the most critically endangered hummingbird in the world at the moment, though there are a few in the "critically endangered" list from birdlife international that haven't been seen in so long that they may very well be extinct unfortunately.

The andean hummingbirds of S. America are some of the most stunning birds in the world. I would encourage anyone who hasn't to go to Tandayapa in Ecuador and visit some of the surrounding areas as well such as Guango Lodge, Bellavista, Yanacocha, etc to really gain a true appreciation for the worlds hummingbirds. One major thing we CAN do is to visit these places. The only way that habitat gets preserved in these areas is by the realization that tourism dollars are just as valuable as coffee or cocoa dollars.

South America got a few hummingbirds which might already be gone.

Aim thinking of the Bogota sunangel which, if it’s ever will show to be valid is a Colombian extinction and haven’t been reported for a very long time.

The same goes for the Coppery thorntail from Bolivia which hasn’t been recorded since the late 19th.

Turquoise-throated Puffleg is just another hummer which may no longer exist, there haven’t been any confirmed sightings of this bird since the 19th.

A few subspecies might also be gone and many other are at risk.

On the flip side I've seen more sheer numbers of hummers at their northern ranges in the last couple years than ever before. Caliopes seem especially numerous and Black chinned are making inroads in larger numbers.

One tactic to do a little bit from afar is make an inquiry with a tourist outfit via the Internet about a threatened species. Indicate that you want to see a species in the wild. This alerts local tourist operators and guides that their natural flora and fauna have a value. If you plan a trip to Central America, etc. then make a point of letting them know your money will be spent at a locale based as much on the birdlife as the quality of the beaches.

Try Colombia for Hummingbirds

Hidde Bruinsma said:
But also hummingbirds thought gone for decades can be found again. The latest is the Dusky Starfrontlet (Coeligena orina). A bird which was known only from one specimen of an immature male, considered to be a subspecies but was rediscovered in 2004 and proven to be a distinct species. Details at: http://www.ornithomedia.com/infos/breves/breves_art1_1.htm

Last November we visited Colombia, a country that can also benefit from tourism, but suffers from a bit of a reputation. The country is safer now, and there are tours available, from Carl Downing, Kolibri Expeditions, Jurgen Beckers, our guide Sergio Ocampo (Sergio Ocampo [[email protected]]) and perhaps others. My feeling is that with a good local guide, staying in safe areas, it is a fine country for birding.

Some of the hummingbird feeders there transcend anything I have seen in Ecuador (been to Bellevista in Tandayapa), Brazil (Been to Hotel Simon in Itatiaia), Costa Rica (Monte Verde), Arizona, (Madera Canyon), or Peru (Machu Picchu Pueblo). This is partly because of the huge numbers of Steely-vented Hummingbirds that get coming to feeders, but there is a great variety too. Dr. Mazariegos estimates that some 4000 hummingbirds visit his feeders each day, and it is something to see.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back