• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird Hawkmoth (1 Viewer)

Hi, Colin.
I enjoyed looking at the St Helen's wildlife website. Your aims are broadly similar to mine--recording the wildlife in an area--except that I've not found any other enthusiasts in mine (and St Helen's is a lot bigger than Hurst Green).
If you type the (url](/url], but in square brackets, codes round your url it will automatically create a link--just in case you want to make it easier for others to reach your site.
http://www.sthelenswildlife.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
The photos of the hawkmoths are excellent. But I was amazed to read that the convolvulus hawkmoth has a wingspan of 100cm (sic)--what a monster! :D

Last edited:
Surreybirder said:
Hi, Colin.
I enjoyed looking at the St Helen's wildlife website. Your aims are broadly similar to mine--recording the wildlife in an area--except that I've not found any other enthusiasts in mine (and St Helen's is a lot bigger than Hurst Green).
If you type the (url](/url], but in square brackets, codes round your url it will automatically create a link--just in case you want to make it easier for others to reach your site.
http://www.sthelenswildlife.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
The photos of the hawkmoths are excellent. But I was amazed to read that the convolvulus hawkmoth has a wingspan of 100cm (sic)--what a monster! :D

We really breed them big up here! I'll change it this evening, it should have read 100mm of course, which is still pretty big for a moth!

Thanks for the advice. Hopefully the url will now work.

Colin

Thanks for the welcome Red Kite. I wouldn't describe myself as a serious birder. I was raisedwith an awareness of nature and anything that flies catches my attention. I work in the aviation industry so I guess even work fulfils my like for the sky and the freedom of the air. I developed a love for Butterflies and moths very early on and my mother was very interested in birds. Nowadays I simply look out wherever I am, nothing serious but it keeps me happy. My caught specimens from the late 60's and early 70's adorn the home but nowadays I wouldn't dream of getting a killing jar!! What was I thinking at that time? I suppose our views were different.

Hi Birdman,

Many thanks for this posting, I was testing a new macro lens today and because of this thread recognised a Hummingbird Hawkmoth in flight at Totnes. See what you mean about fast.

I didn't waste film trying to capture it in flight, but a few minutes earlier I photographed an unknown actually resting which I'm not sure but may have been the same one. I take it they do rest occasionally, but hopefully I'll know tomorrow when I get the slides processed.

Tony

Hi all,
Have never seen a LIVE Convolvulus HM,but DID see a dead specimen(found in a nearby garden)when on that pelagic late last month:stunning!
Harry H

I saw a hummingbird hawkmoth in our garden today (4th) and got some sort of a pic of it.
Not as good as when they are flying!

Attachments

• hbhm2.jpg
    hbhm2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 151
Hi Surreybirder, you did really well to spot it were you searching for something or track it from in flight?

I agree its a hell of a job to photograph it in flight and I bow down to those that manage to. I tried to follow my spotting with the lens and gave up.

As Harry said it really is stunning.

For those that have spotted it, here is the link for finding your local moth recorder.

http://www.angleps.btinternet.co.uk/recorders.pdf

Tony

Last edited:
Tony, I have to admit that I was following it before it landed. (I wouldn't have been able to ID it otherwise!) Thanks for the link to recorders, too.
Ken

Hi Ken,

I know what you mean, I only recognised the one I saw because of the way it was flying and hovering. ;)

Tony

Thanks to this site for helping me identify a Hummingbird Hawkmoth in Ballsbridge, Dublin, Ireland. I was in a meeting in an office four floors up when I noticed what I thought was this very large bee flying across the flower box outside. Most of my colleagues thought I was mad as I ran back to my office to get my digital camera shouting 'There's a hummingbird outthere!'

GauGau's photographs were great as I don't think I go one clear shot even though the camera is quite sophisticated.

Could anyone identify the plant in GauGau's shot as it was the same one this Irish visitor was hovering over? They are such great things to see I'd love to plant the same shrub in my garden on the off chance that I'll see one again. Thanks again

Gaugau has labelled the photos with the plant name - Ceratostigma Wilmottianum, the 'Hardy Plumbago.' Actually, 'hardy-ish' would be a better name as it needs a bit of protection from the worst of the winter weather and a free-draining soil is also an advantage

Hi GauGau,
Excellent pictures of the Hummingbird Hawk Moth, strangely I saw a single specimen at Honeysuckle in my garden in Low Westwood, Co. Durham yesterday morning, (26.09.2003) in fairly cool conditions.

Bye the bye, I had a massive female Convolvulous Hawk Moth emerge last evening from a pupae. The larvae was found on a footpath at Blackhall Rocks in south east Durham, last month, it was then fully fed and 'went down' two days after being found. This is the first ever record of the Convolvulous Hawk breeding in Co. Durham.

Harry Eales.

Hello all,
This monster landed on my grapes last month - it's the biggest moth I've ever seen and was good enough to hang around while I ran for my camera. Am I likely to see an Elephant Hawk Moth here in France?

Jen :hi:

Attachments

• conv.jpg
    conv.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 155
Gaugau - your pics are fantastic. I know this isn't the plant section but does anyone know what these flowers are? They had HBHMs all over them and I'd love to plant some in the garden to encourage them.

Jen :hi:

Attachments

• hbhm.jpg
    hbhm.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 163
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back