• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Safe and effective cleaning fluids for greasy smudges on glass surfaces (2 Viewers)

I avoid cleaning unless I have to and use zeiss glasses wipes when I do and don’t rub hard. Seem to clean smears off and are cheap (glasses and phone screens get dirty far quicker than optics tend to). Avoid dousing in water or solvents unless you’re sure they won’t penetrate in or damage the paint (eg acetone).
Thought Bills favourite cleaning recipe was a mix of ammonia and rubbing alcohol?(“windex”)

Peter

Mayday, Mayday. I ONLY recommend the 1930's WINDEX GLASS CLEANER! The new Windex has so many other things in it, I cannot recommend it. It may be a great "all-purpose" cleaner, But I have heard that is not nearly as good for optics as the original!

If you look up “Make your own Windex” the internet recommends something like;

One cup water.
One half cup isopropanol.
Two or three drops Dawn Dish Soap.

Use at your own risk.

I use lens pen with graphite for traces of grease. It is very effective! I steam a little with my breath until a layer of distilled water forms on the surface of the lens and then wipe (yes, the condensation is distilled water!!!). If the traces are old and persist, then I moisten them with neuphalin or even with wet eyeglass wipes with gentle movements. Of course, I use the air pump every day at the optic to remove abrasive microparticles.

I agree with Sman, Ethanol, or isopropyl is very good, definitely no Windex or any modern day window cleaner.

Looking forward to Neil English (Dipperdapper) new book coming out December, I’m 100% confident there’s going to be a lot of excellent information there. I’m preordering , making sure I get a copy early. For others interested.

New Binocular Book: Now Available for Pre-Order! | Neil English.net.

Paul

"... definitely no Windex ..."

I mean no harm or useless contension, but can you give us a good reason why Boeing, NASA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, the US Navy Opticalmen, Tele Vue Optics, and others prominent experts ... do? It seems that on some forums inexperienced opinions outnumber facts 20 to 1.

Last edited:

I mean no harm or useless contension, but can you give us a good reason why Boeing, NASA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, the US Navy Opticalmen, Tele Vue Optics, and others prominent experts ... do? It seems that on some forums inexperienced opinions outnumber facts 20 to1.
I didn’t know they used windex. They most likely know more than me, because mine is an inexperienced opinion 🤪.

I don’t like using windex because of how the product works/dries.

I also say if you read some opinions on other topics here , it’s a clear indication that most opinions on most sites are from the inexperienced. 🙏

Paul

I don't like Windex either. I've always had streaks after cleaning my car windows and assumed more Windex was the answer, but I never could get them streak-free. I switched to water and white vinegar and now there are no more streaks!

I don't like Windex either. I've always had streaks after cleaning my car windows and assumed more Windex was the answer, but I never could get them streak-free. I switched to water and white vinegar and now there are no more streaks!
And you blame the streaks on Windex instead of the technique? I wonder why those who clean optics PROFESSIONALLY, like those I mentioned in #26, don't have that problem? Perhaps it's because they read a little deeper and don't use the Windex sold in stores TODAY, but the original 1930s, Harry Drackett formula I alluded to and published.

And you blame the streaks on Windex instead of the technique? I wonder why those who clean optics PROFESSIONALLY, like those I mentioned in #26, don't have that problem? Perhaps it's because they read a little deeper and don't use the Windex sold in stores TODAY, but the original 1930s, Harry Drackett formula I alluded to and published.
Bill , then you answered your own question. Yes , it does appear we’re blaming the non 1930’s windex for the streaks 😉.

I just read a blurp on things to not clean with windex.

Prominently mentioned was car windshields.

Last edited:

I mean no harm or useless contension, but can you give us a good reason why Boeing, NASA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, the US Navy Opticalmen, Tele Vue Optics, and others prominent experts ... do? It seems that on some forums inexperienced opinions outnumber facts 20 to 1.
I wonder where you get that info. I happen to work with optics at one of those institutions and can assure you neither I nor anyone else I have seen use windex to clean optics. We do use the windex foaming glass cleaner to clean non-optical surfaces but never anything in a light path. Interestingly I also remember recently you claimed that acetone was the optics cleaner of choice at that same list of institutions.

I wonder where you get that info. I happen to work with optics at one of those institutions and can assure you neither I nor anyone else I have seen use windex to clean optics. We do use the windex foaming glass cleaner to clean non-optical surfaces but never anything in a light path. Interestingly I also remember recently you claimed that acetone was the optics cleaner of choice at that same list of institutions.

Oh oh. Diatribe ending with "AND HOW MANY BINOCULARS HAVE YOU SERVICED???" heading your way as we speak...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back