• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummingbird question (1 Viewer)

Mel M

United States
Hi- I live in North Texas and in the last 2 weeks my hummingbirds have stopped coming to my backyard. It is very hot right now but it seems early for them to have left. Has anyone else noticed this?

Hi, Mel and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. Don’t live in North Texas, (I did grow up in the Dallas area) even with the heat the birds will be finding a lot of natural pollen and insects right now to feed on. That could be one reason, also (you probably do this already) make sure to change the sugar water even more often than usual due to the heat.

Hi Mel and a warm welcome from me too.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

The heat is a driver. I lived in Cleburne before and fed there. I suggest people spend on at least one good Pennington feeder. And 10 dollar tree feeders placed in different types of spots around your place. Some shade, some sun. Some in open. Some sheltered. And multiple sides of structures because they are so territorial. Doing this will teach you their habits at your specific location.

We since moved down to Austin. They aren't here yet for 2024, but will be in the next month. Then through Waco and up to ya'll!

Merlin app is good for that. You can use it to view locations south of you as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back