• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I want to learn Digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Knight said:

First, note that I don't have much experience in this area, so treat this advice with caution! It occurs to me that the scopes you list are all 60mm object - reading through the posts it lookes like something around 80mm would be better - more light to get better exposure values.

Don't know your camera, but it seems that the key camera issues are
1/ filter thread to connect to the eyepiece via adaptor
2/ LCD that can be moved to ease viewing at variou angles
3/ remote shutter release - release shutter without touching the camera
4/ responsive controls - not much lag to release shutter and auto focus etc.

Having said that I have been using a Olympus C40Z - which only qualifies on point 3, it has a IR remote, and I get pictures.

The scopes I use are a Yukon 6-100 100mm (so 100mm object) this is a very stange low cost scope. Pictures possible but some odd effects with colour fringing. Also use a Meade ETX90EC astro telescope, so its a 90mm object. This is much more promising, using a clamp that fits onto the scope and into the tripod socket of the C40Z. The eyepeice I use has a rubber eyepeice that unscrews, so you can get the camera lens close to the eyepeice lens. Zoom a little to get rid of vignetting, and off you go!

As you have the camera best would be to find the scope and try it - just handhold the camera into the eyepeice and take some pictures. Bit difficult over the internet, but I would want to have a look through any scope before getting the money out!

Hope this helps.

Mel

Well i did a bit more searching these last few days and i came up with this scope as my first choice , it has a 80mm optics. I will give them a call today and one of the questions im gonna ask is what there return policy is .
I have another question wich is better strait or angled?

PS ;i would have loved to try a Meade ETX90EC but its kinda out of my price range for now.

http://lirelanature.com/modules.php?name=ProductList&op=BrowseItem&ItemID=404&newlang=english

Last edited:
Hi,
I prefer the angled scope for digi.
Stéphane from "Lire la nature" will give you a good service for the scopes.
Remenber that the scotting scope is for a long term use. The cameras change each 18 months.
Claude
Trois-Rivières

Knight said:
Well i did a bit more searching these last few days and i came up with this scope as my first choice , it has a 80mm optics. I will give them a call today and one of the questions im gonna ask is what there return policy is .
I have another question wich is better strait or angled?

PS ;i would have loved to try a Meade ETX90EC but its kinda out of my price range for now.

http://lirelanature.com/modules.php?name=ProductList&op=BrowseItem&ItemID=404&newlang=english

Hi limicole2 ,i am waiting for some camera adapters for my scope , i should get them sometime this week i can hardly wait to get them. I tried taking pictures without the adapters its almost impossible hehe . Heres what im getting from Stefan at Lire Nature.

ScopeTronix 2.5" Uni-T Adapter STUNIT25
ScopeTronix 55mm to "T" Step Ring STR55T . |=)|

BenBirding said:
Are you satisfied with them? Do you have any pics for an example?
Hi i did not get my adapters yet ,should have them by next week i hope. Will post a few picture if it works . I will let you know as soon as i get all my gear toghether |;|

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back