• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ichthyaetus audouinii (Payraudeau, 1826) (1 Viewer)

Taphrospilus

Ichthyaetus audouinii (Payraudeau, 1826) OD t.8 (1826) - Annales des sciences naturelles - Biodiversity Heritage Library
Je dédie cette espèce à mon excellent ami, M. Audouin.

https://api.pageplace.de/preview/DT0400.9781472982698_A39484113/preview-9781472982698_A39484113.pdf
Audouin’s Gull Larus audouinii Payraudeau, 1826 [Syn. Ichthyaetus audouinii]
Jean Victoire Audouin (1797–1841) was a French naturalist, born in Paris, where he studied medicine, pharmacy and natural history. He was appointed assistant at the Musée National d’Histoire Naturelle in Paris (1825), later becoming Professor of Entomology there (1833). He also wrote a work on the natural history of French coastal waters; Récherches pour Servir à l’Histoire Naturelle du Littoral de la France.

Prof. Jean Victor Audouin (1797-1841) French entomologist, ornithologist (Ichthyaetus).

Björn recently reported that Mearns & Mearns 2022 have him as:
Jean-Victor Audoin (1797–1841), ... "... French zoologist whose main interest was entomology."

Birth reconstructed Visionneuse - Archives de Paris p. 100 of 100 (Cound't find the more complete record).

Many times it is reported that he died in Paris e.g. in his obituary t.11 (1842) - Annales de la Société entomologique de France - Biodiversity Heritage Library . But this isn't true as he died in Saint-Mandé, Val-de-Marne, Île-de-France. There seems a second obituary published 1850 by Milnes Edwards Catalogue de l'histoire de France which I haven't seen.

Death record État civil p. 206 of 246

I couldn't find him in Léonore. Conclusion not Victoire but Victor is the correct name. I assume death year 1847 Verzeichniss der Schriften über Zoologie welche in den periodischen Werken enthalten und vom Jahre 1846-1860 selbständig erschienen sind, mit Einschluss der allgemein-naturgeschichtlichen, periodischen und palaeontologischen Schriften is simply a typo without having seen:

Edwards, H. Milne: Notice sur la vie et les traveaux de J. Victor Audouin. Paris, Bouchard, Huzard, 1851. 8. (8 pag.)

He is also honored in (not birds):

There seems a second obituary published 1850 by Milnes Edwards Catalogue de l'histoire de France which I haven't seen.
The work referenced there seems to be a separate printing of :
(The printer is the same: Mémoires d'agriculture, d'économie rurale et domestique / publiés par la Société royale d'agriculture de Paris | 1850 | Gallica )

'Victoire' is a woman's name. Sometimes you can see a feminine given name among multiple given names given to a man, so I guess it might not be fully inconceivable for a man to be called 'Jean-Victoire', but I strongly doubt this man would then use 'Victoire' as his everyday name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back