• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID Gull UK (1 Viewer)

Actually, this looks like a Herring Gull to me. Bill shape, head shape, pattern of greater coverts, and pale mantle all point in that direction.
There are probably more photographs of this bird ? It would also be nice to know when exactly it was photographed.

I agree with Peter, this looks like a Herring. Some female GBBG can have a bill size/shape like this but in combination with the headshape ( the latter varies though), and large looking eye points in the Herring direction. However, as Peter suggest, are there more pic?

JanJ

I think this was the same gull, it was next image in the camrea half second later,

Image taken 8 June 2009

Attachments

• gull29x6.jpg
    gull29x6.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 115
Second photo shows a different bird indeed (look at different pattern on crown, greater coverts, median coverts - with a number of moulted outer ones in the second bird - and different colour of lower mandible, for instance). It looks like either a Caspian or Yellow-legged Gull; in this case, I find it a bit difficult to decide between the two without flight shots. Plumage looks better for Caspian perhaps, but bill shape is not typical.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back