• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help - Poland/Ukraine border, Carpathians (1 Viewer)

Maybe. My last artwork that I've just finished in the meantime--before reading (cross-hatched purple = overexposed area; solid yellow = shadow resulting from the direction sunlight + the bird's contour; red = branches). I think some branches have ill-defined, see-through borders because they are a bit to the front, so there are some differences in focusing (which might well turn out to be a wrong assumption).

If it's a passerine, which species could be so white and chunky?

Much of it is, admittedly, speculation. I can't see any alternative, though, which is not to say anything can be ID'ed confidently.

While it may not be it, this looks like the best/only shot so far, i.e. it's hard to make it into anything else.

(drawing its left leg was a bit of cheating, though)

EDIT: I should think it doesn't look good for Snow Bunting (even if we interpret the picture differently). A coniferous forest in the mountains would also be wrong habitat for it.

Attachments

• 20231123_204654.jpg
    20231123_204654.jpg
    697.4 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231123_205913.jpg
    20231123_205913.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231123_152241.jpg
    20231123_152241.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Can't get away from bird in image #1 being a large bird - Common Buzzard for preference (or possibly Goshawk or even other large raptor). Can't quite make into an owl myself.

Agree with possible Sparrowhawk on image 2- we can safely rule out Ostrich here on habitat/location?

EDIT: Image #1 - if it is a passerine, where is it perched? Something in the foreground, otherwise it is a giant passerine, as there are no apparent branches in the foreground for it to be on?? (The apparent eye/bill of a passerine part of the branch in front of it)

Last edited:
Spotted Flycatcher would be almost two months late, unfortunately

Maybe a big raptor

Thanks for the suggestions.

Would not a certain plumaged male Stonechat (neck stretched, black head turned to right rear) be a convenient solution, and quite plausible too?
I think the lichen on the branch below show at least some of the relative smallness of the bird.

cheers,
G

any photo of such a plumage/sketch of the bird's head position?

EDIT: wideish white collar + no orange being my main concerns assuming the bird were looking at us face on

It's a hard photo - what is what in the foreground, background or midground? Guess it's heavily zoomed in with the bird on dead branches in the foreground, across a bit of a valley/dip with trees in the background? Would be interesting to see more blurry photos/wider angle of the area.

(Changing my mind slightly - could also be a smaller raptor (Sparrowhawk) etc.)

original, adjusted, adjusted & cropped

BTW, interested what the field impression was

EDIT: feel free to post a better post-processed, or even sharpened version given that the OP agreed to posting such versions of the original

Attachments

• 100568628_1687117508137970_7580309345464745984_n.jpg
    100568628_1687117508137970_7580309345464745984_n.jpg
    832.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 100568628_1687117508137970_7580309345464745984_n.jpg
    100568628_1687117508137970_7580309345464745984_n.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20231123_152241.jpg
    20231123_152241.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 38
Spotted Flycatcher would be almost two months late
There is no date (or do you know something we don't?). It's certainly not November (state of foliage).
pale breast with small reddish spot
There is no reddish spot. Are you looking at the original?
[checks watch] I get the impression this thread is populated by people who've just come back from the pub... (I'm just envious 🍺)

Last edited:
Maybe someone can tamper with colour balance in a more effective way.

Agree we don't actually have the date.

In my version, the greens are a bit too vivid and the contrast is overdone. Some members really have more dexterity with those tools. I do wish for some faint yellowish wash, but I'm not holding my breath.

Any other photos that Hennig could manage to secure from the photographer (and field impression if present) plus the date may, but not necessarily to the full extent, make it easier.

Anyone has Topaz DeNoise bought/in trial version? It's quite frequently used on Gallery pictures here.

Hey there! Just wanted to share that, according to the photographer, the first bird is about the size of a bunting. Thanks for your help!

My first impression was that it was a Spotted flycatcher, because of its relatively big head, posture, etc. I have just written to the observer to clarify the details. I think the photo is from late Spring or Summer but will clarify. Colors... maybe imaging artifacts...

UPD. Observation date - 29 May 2020

Last edited:
Hi there!

I definitely see a passerine here, and the first thought that popped up in my head was "flycatcher", maybe Pied or Semicollared, but then the upper head colours don´t fit (which should be black and not - as in this case - white).

Fabian

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back