• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID of Bumblebee (1 Viewer)

Peewit

Once a bird lover ... always a bird lover
hi there

I came across this very large Bumblebee in my garage today

What species is it - it had been suggested by someone it is a Buff Tail Queen due to its size. Is this the correct species?

Thanks in advance. :t::-O

Regards
Kathy
x

Attachments

• IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_2608.JPG
    IMG_2608.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 48
Hi there

Slim on the ground in last post.....this 'queen' bumblebee remained stuck in my garage for two hours. So hence the enlarged picture of her.

She had weakened to a point, so I gently managed to entice her onto a spoon, and placed her outside on the lawn in the sun. I looked 10 minutes later and she had gone.

So all was well with her :-O:-O

Regards
Kathy
x

Agree with queen Bombus terrestris.

Thank you for your answer.

I see it is the Queen that has the buff rear end and the workers have the white rear end.

Never knew that the Male/females of the species had different colouration :t:

Regards
Kathy

I must read my bumblebee book as I thought/presumed they were solitary bees. Just goes to show - need to read all posts on here:)

Last edited:

I see it is the Queen that has the buff rear end and the workers have the white rear end.

Regards
Kathy

The workers are females too!

The workers are females too!

Oh right did not know that. :t:

Do not know much about Bees and Bee species. o:)

Need to read up and understand what they are all about.

I do have a Collins book, Complete Guide to British insects - Michael Chinery, and got it last year. Useful for a beginner like myself

Regards
Kathy
x

Oh right did not know that. :t:

Do not know much about Bees and Bee species. o:)

Need to read up and understand what they are all about.

I do have a Collins book, Complete Guide to British insects - Michael Chinery, and got it last year. Useful for a beginner like myself

Regards
Kathy
x

I too have that book, brilliant book, also have Field guide to the Bumblebees of GB & I, must read more of it, nice guide to have - but where does one stop on buying books??

<snip> - but where does one stop on buying books??

In my case probably when I'm 6-feet under.

Incidentally, the buff tail of the queen is a feature of the British form of B. terrestris. On the continent the queen's tails are white same as the workers.

Last edited:

Regards
Kathy

Hi Kathy,

The Bumblebee Conservation Trust have a good website with an ID chart of 6 commonly seen bumblebees seen in gardens and a host of other info which you might find of interest. (I've no connection with the BCT)

http://www.bumblebeeconservation.org.uk/bumblebees_id.htm

:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back