• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id please the first female duck is tufted duck or greater scaup? (1 Viewer)

Hello,

just a question about the right bird: I have looked at it several times on different screens now and I see:
  • a slightly purple sheen to the brown colouration
  • dark brown back is nearly black
  • eye seems colourless=with less yellow (but also darker than the other two Ducks)
  • a square-rounded head without a tuft
  • an indication of the right s-shaped high reared flank-line
  • a sharp demarcation line between darker breast and paler breast
  • yes and speckled white undertail-coverts
  • it seems a smaller bird in relation to the other two Ducks, but its facing slightly away. So a foreshortening effect surely adds to this feeling
Yes, every mentioned feature is within variation for a pure Tufted Duck and surely whishful thinking, but, yes, I think, it might be Ferruginous x Tufted Duck hybrid.
I have seen a similar bird many years ago, and as it had a smaller, squarer white patch on the belly than an ID-book Tufted Duck, I identified it as a Ferruginous x Tufted Duck hybrid then. Therefore, I hope for others to take a closer look at this picture again, as the bird is easily missed:

Because the left bird seems also interesting to me:
I hope this doesnt come out as an offense, as I was distracted by the asked for left bird. Yes, it might well be a Tufted Duck (= I havent confident arguements against this), but I see
  • a bulky and larger bird (yes size illusion, the far bird is larger and the nearer one smaller)
  • the right, evenly curved flank-line (I posted this before: Club300 Germany)
Yes, I see a bump at the rear head too. And yes, I see the relative small head and the lack of a larger, spatulate bill, too. But this is within variation for a Greater Scaup and the bump looks strange positioned for a Tufted Duck (is Lesser Scaup a possibility in Indonesia, the presumed location?)

I hope this doesnt come out as an offense, as experienced members have identified it as a Tufted Duck, but as you know, I am interested in ID-topics: I hope for more pictures and the location. And yes, if forced I woud say its a Tufted Duck, too (and when I write I am biased by other comments I should better write: I learn a lot here, thanks!)

I see what you mean Alexander. If both these female birds are Tufted Ducks, then they are right at the two extremes of variation within the species on several characters. I keep looking at this photo and going back and forth between seeing a pair of "normal" Tufties and a possible Scaup or hybrid on the left, and a pair of "normal" Tufties and a possible Ferruginous hybrid on the right.

Some photos of Tufted x Ferruginous hybrids here: Ferruginous Duck x Tufted Duck (mostly males, the females shown look darker than this bird, but hybrids are variable...)

While Aythya hybrids are a lot commoner than most others, it seems pretty unlikely that both these birds are hybrids (or a vagrant and a hybrid). Location would be helpful in determining which of Scaup x Tufted or Ferruginous x Tufted is more likely! It may still be that two contrasting "extreme" female Tufties is the statistically likelier option though...

I see what you mean Alexander. If both these female birds are Tufted Ducks, then they are right at the two extremes of variation within the species on several characters. I keep looking at this photo and going back and forth between seeing a pair of "normal" Tufties and a possible Scaup or hybrid on the left, and a pair of "normal" Tufties and a possible Ferruginous hybrid on the right.

Some photos of Tufted x Ferruginous hybrids here: Ferruginous Duck x Tufted Duck (mostly males, the females shown look darker than this bird, but hybrids are variable...)

While Aythya hybrids are a lot commoner than most others, it seems pretty unlikely that both these birds are hybrids (or a vagrant and a hybrid). Location would be helpful in determining which of Scaup x Tufted or Ferruginous x Tufted is more likely! It may still be that two contrasting "extreme" female Tufties is the statistically likelier option though...
Steve/Alexander, the location is Bung Boraphet, Nakhon Sawan in C Thailand Log in to Facebook Greater Scaup is an accidental to Thailand (2 records as of 2018).

Grahame

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back