• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this Bird - Costa Rica - La Fortuna / Arenal Hike (1 Viewer)

mamin888

My wife and I went on a hike on the outskirts of Arenal / La Fortuna with hopes of finding Toucans and Howler Monkeys. We found plenty of Toucans, but no Monkeys unfortunately. I also came across two raptor-looking birds who were difficult for me to identify. Please see the pictures. My apologies for the poor quality but the overcast and distance made it very difficult to get a good shot. Any idea what these could be? When I looked up Merlin Falcons I believe their call was identical. Unfortunately I couldn’t get the call on video. What do you guys think?

866501D5-F60D-4A03-96EE-062141F690DD.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2388.MOV
    13.4 MB
  • B3A0BDB1-C02F-4828-8C97-A995727424D3.jpeg
    B3A0BDB1-C02F-4828-8C97-A995727424D3.jpeg
    552.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2389.MOV
    10.2 MB
Don't think this is do'able on these images, there are a few large options including two Amazona sp at Arenal plus White-crowned and Red-lored although, the still image seems to show a dark throat unless it's artefact so maybe Brown-hooded?

Last edited:
Thank you both for your replies. I really do not think they were parrots. The more I search, the more I’m convinced that these were Merlin Falcons

I'm afraid not. If you could say what features lead you to think they are merlins, we may be able to point you in the right direction. The major things you should be looking at are head-shape, bulk of body, and tail-shape.

This is your image, I changed nothing except increased the saturation of the colors until the sky turned blue and the leaves turned green. As you can see, you have photographed a couple of green birds, i.e., parrots.

(The apparent purpleness at the edges of the branches is not surprising, that's chromatic aberration from the camera lens.)

parrots.jpeg

Very cool! Thank you!! I tried adjusting the saturation on my phone but couldn’t get any color to show, not sure how you were able to do it, but very cool. Thanks again everyone!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back