• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID this hawk? Southeast TN USA (1 Viewer)

lwood114

Hi,
I am wondering if someone could ID this hawk? (I assume hawk?)
Not a great picture but maybe?
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC00478.jpg
    DSC00478.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 168
maybe you could throw out some other details for us to work with alongside the pic. How was the bird acting? Was it soaring or actively flapping? Did you snap off any more shots?

I doubt if cropping would do much good with an image size that small. I don’t think the hawk’s identifiable from this photo.

Hi, I am wondering if someone could ID this hawk? (I assume hawk?). Not a great picture but maybe? Thanks!

The image is of the proportions of Short-tailed Hawk; there are ample images available on the Web of the general aspect shown in your picture, but it would be way out of its limited US range!
MJB

Hi,
The small birds and squirrels ran, scared when it flew over the house. Shortly after it flew over the house 2 turkey vultures flew over. It didn't flap its wings much, mostly just soared. Totally scared all the small animals off my back deck. I never heard any sounds. I got several shots of it but I think this one is the best sadly. It was so far away up in the sky by the time I got out there to get its picture. I cropped the picture more hoping you can see it more closely. It seems to have a lighter color body and darker head and tail. Thanks for trying to ID.
Laurie

Attachments

• DSC00478.JPG
    DSC00478.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 104
Red-tailed Hawk would be the default raptor here and it's possibility should be eliminated first. Could this real short tail be a photographic artifact? Can the wings be lightened? Maybe we could see if there are patagial bars?
Bob

Last edited:
Red-tailed Hawk would be the default raptor here and it's possibility should be eliminated first. Could this real short tail be a photographic artifact? Can the wings be lightened? Maybe we could see if there are patagial bars?
Bob

No sign of a belly band. And the wing shape looked very pointy in the original view. I was leaning red-shouldered until I noticed that stubby tail. That put me at short-tailed, or a photographic effect making the tail of a red-shouldered look short (which would be a trick).

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back