• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (2 Viewers)

seggs

Alrite!
thought i would start a new thread about my local area..
not to take any shine off the great durham thread but to be able to put more detailed reports on here for all to see..and hopefully some other local lads or visitors might contribute...of course main reports will still go into the durham thread.
here goes...
today dull and overcast morning....visited trow and leas mound area first..
walked my normal route from the car park around the quarry edges, no little owl showed and only a few wrens sounded.Then i was pleasantly surprised when a goldcrest appeared near the bush area of the quarry.
walked over to the bay areas ..a few oystercatchers ,redshanks and turnstones in the bays...1 shag and 2 cormorants fishing near the shore..and 7 eiders off frenchmans bay..a few fulmars soaring along the cliffs here also.
the leas mound area only had a few brave meadow pipits flying up and piping and a pair of linnets starting to set up territory..a female kestrel hunted here.
walked back down the path and 18 turnstones feeding on the grass beside target rock...and 20+ redshanks resting on the rocks on trow point...
3-4 jackdaws along the cliff line..
rabbits along the quarry more bold now.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_5748.JPG
    tn_IMG_5748.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 395
  • tn_IMG_5732.JPG
    tn_IMG_5732.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 335
  • tn_IMG_5780.JPG
    tn_IMG_5780.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 302
  • tn_IMG_5756.JPG
    tn_IMG_5756.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 338
mount pleasant next

went in search of the firecrest again, walked around the wooded area a couple of times before heading down the old mineral line a pair of l.t.tits in the wooded area at the bottom and a weasel ran over the path.
2 cock yellowhammers sang.
the horse fields had loads of thrushs including 20+ redwings and a pair of mistle thrushs.
back at the fircrest area again...i stood and waited on the small path and listened...sure enough a high pitched call sounded 20 yards ahead of me..
followed it and located the firecrest, watched for about 2 minutes before it headed off into the dense hawthorn not to be seen again by me on this visit..
had a another look around 3 pair of bullfinch, 2 pair of goldfinch and a pair of goldcrests(which i thought at first might be the firecrest again but no)..along with blue and great tits,robins,wrens,pheasants and chaffinch.
so its 4 out of 6 times for me with the firecrest..;)

Attachments

• tn_IMG_5859.JPG
    tn_IMG_5859.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 277
  • tn_IMG_5879.JPG
    tn_IMG_5879.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 273
  • tn_IMG_5897.JPG
    tn_IMG_5897.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 251
went in search of the firecrest again, walked around the wooded area a couple of times before heading down the old mineral line a pair of l.t.tits in the wooded area at the bottom and a weasel ran over the path.
2 cock yellowhammers sang.
the horse fields had loads of thrushs including 20+ redwings and a pair of mistle thrushs.
back at the fircrest area again...i stood and waited on the small path and listened...sure enough a high pitched call sounded 20 yards ahead of me..
followed it and located the firecrest, watched for about 2 minutes before it headed off into the dense hawthorn not to be seen again by me on this visit..
had a another look around 3 pair of bullfinch, 2 pair of goldfinch and a pair of goldcrests(which i thought at first might be the firecrest again but no)..along with blue and great tits,robins,wrens,pheasants and chaffinch.
so its 4 out of 6 times for me with the firecrest..;)
not on you bike yeh and where is photo of firecrest;)

boldon flats and marine park

on the way back today stopped at the flats..
2 canada geese, 3 greylags and the pink footed goose flew in with 2 greylags.
10+ redshanks,3 dunlin,15+curlew and 3 snipe...60+ wigeon, 30+ sleepy teal and a few pair of mallards..lapwings displaying..2 stock doves..
a lbb gull amoung the usual gulls
and a 2nd weasel of the day darted thro- the grass
the water level here has dropped big style looks like the sluice gates have been opened.
marine park
still alot of maintenance work going on here, half the lake still drained.
apart from the swans..3 pochard only one female..and 10+ tufted duck..
the park area had all the usual robins,wrens,blue and great tits,dunnocks..etc.
and a pair of herring gulls were getting intimate!

Attachments

• tn_IMG_5838.JPG
    tn_IMG_5838.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 269
  • tn_IMG_5907.JPG
    tn_IMG_5907.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 242
  • tn_IMG_5915.JPG
    tn_IMG_5915.JPG
    68.1 KB · Views: 246
  • tn_IMG_5919.JPG
    tn_IMG_5919.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 247
Thought I'd put these picture on again of the Yellow Browed Warbler from Jarrow Cemetary taken on 08.03.08, seeing as this is the local board! o:D
If the little blighter had co-operated they would have been great!
Also, an unusually pale black G.S.Woodpecker in the cemetary on the same day.

Joanne

Last edited:

Great report Steve,sounds like you've had a good day.Some nice shots too, unlucky with the firecrest maybe next time :t:

Thought I'd put these picture on again of the Yellow Browed Warbler from Jarrow Cemetary taken on 08.03.08, seeing as this is the local board! o:D
If the little blighter had co-operated they would have been great!
Also, an unusually pale black G.S.Woodpecker in the cemetary on the same day.

Joanne
hi joanne
well done on the warbler shots...seen the bird a few times here but did not manage a single good shot..don,t know if the bird been seen lately.

Great report Steve,sounds like you've had a good day.Some nice shots too, unlucky with the firecrest maybe next time :t:
hi pete
this little belter can be a real pain to find ...many have still not picked the bird up..sound can be the real key at times to finding it..
the best of a bunch of naff shots taken a few weeks ago

Attachments

• tn_IMG_3015.JPG
    tn_IMG_3015.JPG
    35.6 KB · Views: 345
Hi,
bit late but yesterday at the Lea's i saw, 1 SEO, 2 Kestrels, 1 Stonechat, 6 Eiders, 1 Shag, 5 Fulmars,7+ Skylarks. Quite an enjoyable trip out my first time there. The SEO views were amazing! Shame not to have seen the Little Owl.

Cheers

Geordie

Hi folks, back online after suffering from a dodgy computer for the last day or two...... Steve, the new thread is a great idea by the way - nice one mate ! :))

Not too much to report as I could only manage an hour or so in Trow & the Leas late afternoon, I was hoping for a Wheatear as there's one due north any day now ;-)) but had to settle for a pair of Grey Partridge instead ( on the mound )........ Trow extremely quiet compared to a few days ago - no sign of any Owls and no Stonechats either - most unusual - wrong time of day i guess??

I'll be out & about in Marsden, Cleadon & Whitburn tomorrow so will hopefully have a bit more to post tomorrow night - fingers crossed :))

Good birding everyone :))

Cheers, Dougie.

PS, my Kestrel never lets me down - he loves getting his picture taken Lol!! ;-))

Attachments

• IMG_4105.JPG.jpg
    IMG_4105.JPG.jpg
    210.1 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_4179.JPG.jpg
    IMG_4179.JPG.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 299
hi joanne
well done on the warbler shots...seen the bird a few times here but did not manage a single good shot..don,t know if the bird been seen lately.

The guy my other half goes birding with, it's his local patch. He says he hasn't seen it for a few weeks now which is a shame as it's a fantastic bird, just doesn't keep still!

Off out tomorrow to look for the Firecrest at Boldon. Will this come under this thread?! ;) Although I've been living here 7 years, I'm not from these parts originally, I'll have the ask the hubby which thread to put it on now! Geography was never my strong point.......o:D

Joanne

The guy my other half goes birding with, it's his local patch. He says he hasn't seen it for a few weeks now which is a shame as it's a fantastic bird, just doesn't keep still!

Off out tomorrow to look for the Firecrest at Boldon. Will this come under this thread?! ;) Although I've been living here 7 years, I'm not from these parts originally, I'll have the ask the hubby which thread to put it on now! Geography was never my strong point.......o:D

Joanne
hi joanne
the main theme of this thread is so you can give detailed reports of all the birds you have seen in this area..either common or rare they all count so everyone reading it can enjoy and get a good insite info. wise to whats about.. all reports are very welcome no matter how small... any important birds or something different i will also post on the durham site as others should, .. the durham thread is a important link to the bird club..committee wise and for viewing whats going on further afield than in s.tyneside..
the boundries are strange..old style from river to river really, not like the modern style..

Hi,
bit late but yesterday at the Lea's i saw, 1 SEO, 2 Kestrels, 1 Stonechat, 6 Eiders, 1 Shag, 5 Fulmars,7+ Skylarks. Quite an enjoyable trip out my first time there. The SEO views were amazing! Shame not to have seen the Little Owl.

Cheers

Geordie
hi geordie
me too on the bit late front..its confusing a few people..:-O the two threads..
but your report is what it is about tell us what you see..
on your visit..great stuff glad you enjoyed it:t:
them little owls can be funny at times..either showing out in the open yards away or not even out..:C

Hi folks, back online after suffering from a dodgy computer for the last day or two...... Steve, the new thread is a great idea by the way - nice one mate ! :))

Not too much to report as I could only manage an hour or so in Trow & the Leas late afternoon, I was hoping for a Wheatear as there's one due north any day now ;-)) but had to settle for a pair of Grey Partridge instead ( on the mound )........ Trow extremely quiet compared to a few days ago - no sign of any Owls and no Stonechats either - most unusual - wrong time of day i guess??

I'll be out & about in Marsden, Cleadon & Whitburn tomorrow so will hopefully have a bit more to post tomorrow night - fingers crossed :))

Good birding everyone :))

Cheers, Dougie.

PS, my Kestrel never lets me down - he loves getting his picture taken Lol!! ;-))
glad you got the pc. problem sorted dougie..
look forward to the report tomorrow...not seen the partridges all week..
but the female kes..showed today... have found the stonechats near the old life guard station latterly ..worth a check...
nice. pics.. keep them coming..and reports

Unsuccessful attempt to see the Firecrest, but I'm not giving up yet!

Joanne
thats the spirit!:t:
some people have been here hours waiting...i tend to hang around for a while.. and then move off up the mineral line and come back..its a great spot for wheatear at the right time(horses fields) of year and warblers in the summer

thats the spirit!:t:
some people have been here hours waiting...i tend to hang around for a while.. and then move off up the mineral line and come back..its a great spot for wheatear at the right time(horses fields) of year and warblers in the summer

Mick went there 3 or 4 times before he finally saw it. I'm Monday so might have another wander down!
We're waiting for the Wheatear in the field down the road (from Wardley) it was here around this time last year but possibly a bit early still. Having said that, I think the summer birds are on their way judging by all the Chiff Chaffs we've heard and seen today!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back