• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (3 Viewers)

I decided to do a seawatch this pm at Lizard Point there were plenty of Manxies flying past some were close inshore and a couple of Arctic Skua a light and a dark phase bird flew north.Plenty of the usual seabirds but nothing unusual flying passed.Yesterday a Leach's and Storm Petrels were seen flying past the Whitburn obs also a Pom Skua.Winds are still from the North over the weekend so might be worth doing some seawatching over the weekend.
Nice to see you back on line Martin:t:
And the gremlins have been sorted!with your internet connection.(ive left that provider now:C) theres been some good movement with manxs.,reported over the last week or so,maybe to be expected,good to see all the same.

Nice to see you back on line Martin:t:
And the gremlins have been sorted!with your internet connection.(ive left that provider now:C) theres been some good movement with manxs.,reported over the last week or so,maybe to be expected,good to see all the same.
Hi Steve yes it is good to be back on the forum,hopefully i should 'nt have anymore problems touch wood.Have you had a good spring for birds? It has been a excellent spring for birds in the UK the best for years but not in our South Tyneside area i would say its the worst on record for our area very few common migrants no rarities and just a single Marsh Warbler at Acad Pools and the Rosefinch i found at Marsden Quarry.No Icterine Warblers R B Shrikes etc.The best places have been Teeside and Northumberland.It amazing how our area has missed out on all the birds this spring.Hopefully South Tyneside will do better in the autumn.

Last edited:
While I'm here, has anyone seen stoats or weasels in South Tyneside recently?

A couple of weeks ago I saw one crossing the road at Tilesheds. I'm not entirely sure which it was. It seemed a bit big for a weasel, but a bit small for a stoat, although it seemed to have a darkish tip to it's tail (but not very pronounced).

barmston pond

Spent an hour or so at barmston pond yesterday afternoon, a pair of bullfinches starting the afternoon off nicely. Had a quick look on the main pond 2 little grebes, 1 common tern, 1 heron as well as all the usual birds. Then cycled round to the screen hide to have a look on the smaller pond but its to overgrown now to see anything. Cycling my way round to the marsh area next to the seven houses 1 common whitethroat, 1 male blackcap, chaffinches and goldfinches were seen. The marsh area saw more common whitethroats with at least 4 seen, loads of reed buntings 2 mistle thrushes, more goldfinches, chaffinches and swallows. sedge and grasshopper warblers also heard.

While I'm here, has anyone seen stoats or weasels in South Tyneside recently?

A couple of weeks ago I saw one crossing the road at Tilesheds. I'm not entirely sure which it was. It seemed a bit big for a weasel, but a bit small for a stoat, although it seemed to have a darkish tip to it's tail (but not very pronounced).

Hi, there's a healthy population of Weasels in Trow quarry, i've seen them many times over the years when birding/walking the dog, I find early mornings to be the best although they can be seen at anytime really. They can run accross the path in front of you and you see them or 20 seconds later they do the same thing behind you and you've missed them - so luck plays a big part in it, anyway, here's a couple of photos from last autumn:t:

Cheers, Dougie.

Attachments

• IMG_0638.jpg
    IMG_0638.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0645.jpg
    IMG_0645.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1628.jpg
    IMG_1628.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 49
Around the doors this pm.

Had stroll around Marsden old Quarry first as its been The Great North dog walk on the Leas today and Trow would have been a waste of time probably. Much the usual around here, except 4 Whitethroats in and around the Quarry and a small butterfly-small Copper(i think). And the numpty with plants that i am, spotted these nice clumps scattered around the top of the Quarry area, Ideas???
Went along the cliffs next from Whitburn coastal park to Jackies beach, again nowt to exciting but nice all the same with loads of Linnets in the unspoilt area behind the observitory, the odd Sand and House martins Swifts and Swallows. And first Red Adermirals of the year for me here.
Also 8 Manxies heading north out at sea.
Jackies beach had 7 Turnstones and 2 Ringed Plover.
Stopped at Lizard point for a while to watch the Cormorants busy with young.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_1130.jpg
    tn_IMG_1130.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 36
  • tn_IMG_1147.jpg
    tn_IMG_1147.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 41
  • tn_IMG_1112.jpg
    tn_IMG_1112.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 39
  • tn_IMG_1106.jpg
    tn_IMG_1106.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 37
  • tn_IMG_1235.jpg
    tn_IMG_1235.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 49
A few more from today

Attachments

• tn_IMG_1341.jpg
    tn_IMG_1341.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 47
  • tn_IMG_1251.jpg
    tn_IMG_1251.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 42
  • tn_IMG_1280.jpg
    tn_IMG_1280.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_IMG_1347.jpg
    tn_IMG_1347.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 48
  • tn_IMG_1244.jpg
    tn_IMG_1244.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Had a walk around Marsden old quarry this morning and all of the usual birds were there. Saw a fledgling whitethroat which was good. Also meadow pipit on the wall alongside South Shields golf course. Every other tree seemed to have a whitethroat singing from it!!

Had a walk up on Cleadon Hills this afternoon and below are a few of the photos from there. Anyone any idea what the plant is please? I only had my macro lens but I did get a shot of this very rare bird once it had landed!!! The air ambulance arrived to airlift an injured walker to hospital.

Brian

Attachments

• DPP_1133.JPG
    DPP_1133.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 43
  • DPP_1094.JPG
    DPP_1094.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 42
  • DPP_1095.JPG
    DPP_1095.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 47
  • DPP_1099.JPG
    DPP_1099.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 43
Gaffer and Seggs

Seggs your plant is wild thyme and certainly a small copper, Gaffer yours is bladder campion although white campion is very similar but it looks like the former.

John.

Trow / Whitburn

Hi folks, spent a glorious hour at whitburn early this morning watching the sand martins feeding their young, low tide, calm sea, no wind and the sun belting down against the cliffs - great stuff;) - the Linnet pics are from Trow last night (sat)

Cheers, Dougie.:t:

Attachments

• IMG_1796.jpg
    IMG_1796.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2241.jpg
    IMG_2241.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2247.jpg
    IMG_2247.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 39
Gaffer and Seggs

Seggs your plant is wild thyme and certainly a small copper, Gaffer yours is bladder campion although white campion is very similar but it looks like the former.

John.
Thanks John
I had narrowed the plant down to 1or2.. wild thyme being one of them.
The look of the plant i thought it maybe a alpine?..and not native, lovely to see all the same.
Small clumps of the plant all over here now.

Came back from holidays,quick look around saw the Bee Orchids flowering in Old Marsden Quarry.Always nice to photograph !

Trow

Half an hour in Trow tonight produced, Goldfinch, Linnet, Whitethroat, Wren, House Sparrow, House Martin, Mipit, Kestrel, Magpie, C Crow & Little Owl..

Cheers, Dougie.:t:

Attachments

• IMG_2284.jpg
    IMG_2284.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 49
Walk around Old Marsden Quarry this afternoon,very quiet apart from Whitethroat and Yellowhammer singing.Down to Leas where I saw two Reed Buntings in the hedge and the Stonechats still around also.Down to mound where I saw another two Reed Buntings calling and at long last I saw the Little Owl at Trow!!!....................Laurence.

New level

Well seen a new imput on the forums of late and have been asked to include a day on the east yorksire coast last weekend, not South tyneside i know, but local lads including myself visited a couple of areas.
I took up Micks kind offer of a car share offered earlier in the week.:t:
We stopped just before the headland(Spurn point) and wandered around the small path/waterway ditch, lots of sedgies and good views, Reed warblers also seen and heard, Tree spugs along the way also.
Headed to the point next, a Cuckoo as soon as we got out the car flew over!
We later had another 3...and closer views, Lesser Whitethroat the most showey ive know ever here!, at least 2 males, one ringed.
Loads of the common Whites.
But the Brown tail Moth Catipillar population really outshone our visit here at Spurn point,never seen so many catipillars in my life, they hung from bush/bramble and grass!. And having seen for our selfs the effect on 2 local lads from a week ago comming into contact with the criters((rashes)..we tried to give them a wide bearth!..impossible!!:-O, we brushed each other off on leaving the cracking site.
Headed to Blacktoft next..
The Avocets numbers were down to previous visits, 80+ many imm. birds,
compared to 200-300 a few months ago.
At least 3/4 Marsh harrier pairs hunting over the reed beds
also 20+ black tailed godwits..
A Barn Owl in a nesting box, reed and sedgies busy feeding young.
Great day, nowt rare, but great to visit.
The pic,s ....best i could with the light ..record shots..etc..

Attachments

• tn_IMG_0914.jpg
    tn_IMG_0914.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 46
  • tn_IMG_1060.jpg
    tn_IMG_1060.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 56
  • tn_IMG_1081.jpg
    tn_IMG_1081.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 55
  • tn_IMG_0826.jpg
    tn_IMG_0826.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 38
  • tn_IMG_0986.jpg
    tn_IMG_0986.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Top report Steve, but you neglected to tell everyone that I was the only one whinging like a bairn at all those 3ft catipilars;).
Hope to get some local birding done this weekend so maybe I can contribute a long overdue report or two.

Mick, intrepid monster catipilar slayer;):t: ..............abject coward more like:-O

Top report Steve, but you neglected to tell everyone that I was the only one whinging like a bairn at all those 3ft catipilars;).
Hope to get some local birding done this weekend so maybe I can contribute a long overdue report or two.

Mick, intrepid monster catipilar slayer;):t: ..............abject coward more like:-O
Well i was going to mention that:-O:-O:-O...but thought i better not;)
Hope the nightmares have faded.:-O:t:

Called In at Lamesley today, my first visit - Many thanks to DeggsySAFC, (Derek) for the directioins :t:.
Just a shame very little came near the pond beside the hide.
Plenty of the common birds seen but at a distance, including:
Sparrows, starlings, jackdaw, blackbird, crow, lapwings, turnstone, moorehen, coot, goldfinch, greenfinch, swallow, wood pigeon, collard dove, sand martin, house martin, magpie's and the only bird to come close was a juv, pied wagtail which put on a bit of a display before flying of.
Appart from the lack of birds on the nearest pond, the sun was also a problem as far as photography goes, but still an enjoyable hour or so spent :t:.
I think next visit will be on an afternoon when the sun passes the hide.

Attachments

• _MG_4659.jpg
    _MG_4659.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 44
  • _MG_4675.jpg
    _MG_4675.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 38
  • _MG_4694.jpg
    _MG_4694.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 42
  • _MG_4713.jpg
    _MG_4713.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 38
  • _MG_4720.jpg
    _MG_4720.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 37
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back