• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (3 Viewers)

Then stake out the hot spot in Jarra for the Waxwings, meet a couple of the locals here as Mick and Joanne also Derek did last week:-O, honest its not that bad!;) tour the estate looking for the birds trying to not look too out of place, which i am sure i can do;)

Sheesh!!! Good luck!!:eek!:

Joanne

Me and my brother (pete) spent an hour or so here this lunchtime looking for the waxwings, no joy here. Did you have any luck Steve?
Be down tomorrow Phil, hit and miss affair by all accounts the birds have been dropping into feed at different times, so its a case of where they go to roost and rest up...Don valley, St. Pauls area my best guess.
Will let you,s know;)

Last edited:
80 Waxwings were reported on my pager they were seen this afternoon at the usual place at Jarrow so they are still round.

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

Out and about locally yesterday, popped up to Jarrow for and hour, met up with Colinsev from the Durham thread:t: – stunning views of the Waxwings feeding on the berries, the Mistle Thrushes were very vocal and didn’t seem too happy to be sharing these, but with c80 birds feeding up in the trees they were never going to stop them.

The rest of the day, very briefly – Whitburn cp, plenty Goldcrest, Pheasant (pr) Moorhen (pr), Heron (pr), and a huge flock of Golden Plover/Lapwing at ranges possibly as many as 2000 birds.

Moor lane crossroads: Grey Wagtail, Heron in flooded field, also c200 Lapwing, 1000+ Gulls and Corvids on newly ploughed field in same area.

Boldon area, Male Sparrowhawk, single Grey Partridge, Little Owl, Fieldfare, Brown Rat and Stoat.

Cheers, Dougie.

Attachments

• IMG_5964.jpg
    IMG_5964.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5968.jpg
    IMG_5968.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5947.jpg
    IMG_5947.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6115.jpg
    IMG_6115.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5990.jpg
    IMG_5990.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 32
Waxwings galore!

Saxon way in Jarra was the place to be this morning for Waxwing, i counted over 50 before another flock arrived making the number over 80!! at 9.30am.
Small flock of L.t.tits here also and the usual Mistle thrushes.
No Whooper on Boldon flats and no Teal, 30-40 Wigeon and the usual Greylags. A couple i give directions to here told me i had just missed 2 Bewick swans:-C
Couple of this morning, not got round to editing the rest yet.

Attachments

• tn_IMG_7891.jpg
    tn_IMG_7891.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 58
  • tn_IMG_8091.jpg
    tn_IMG_8091.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 44
Saxon way in Jarra was the place to be this morning for Waxwing, i counted over 50 before another flock arrived making the number over 80!! at 9.30am.
Small flock of L.t.tits here also and the usual Mistle thrushes.
No Whooper on Boldon flats and no Teal, 30-40 Wigeon and the usual Greylags. A couple i give directions to here told me i had just missed 2 Bewick swans:-C
Couple of this morning, not got round to editing the rest yet.

Two great pics there, Steve - love the Robin photo:t:

The Waxwings are superb, but I don't think a lot of the locals appreciate them as much as we do;) having said that, when I was there yesterday an old dear came out for a chat and commented on how much earlier they are compared with last year - she wasn't expecting them till January - she must've kept good tabs on them over the years!

Cheers, Dougie:t:.

A few more pics from over the weekend, nowt to get excited about but just thought i'd post them anyway.

Cheers, Dougie:t:

Attachments

• IMG_5817.jpg
    IMG_5817.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_6251.jpg
    IMG_6251.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_6253.jpg
    IMG_6253.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6291.jpg
    IMG_6291.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6350.jpg
    IMG_6350.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 32
Brambling in residence in the back garden by look of it, just a single bird

Hi John, great news about the Brambling – top bird!...... is it only making brief appearances or a regular throughout the day?

Hi John, great news about the Brambling – top bird!...... is it only making brief appearances or a regular throughout the day?

Hi Doug
It seems to be around for most of the day. It does go off down the bottom of the garden presumably to rest up when not feeding and is a bit skittish. So most of the pics I get are from indoors. Today i had the bird with a male Chaffinch but previously it was with a female so i don't know whats going on there.
Pair of Little Grebe on the Don at Jarrow Slake this pm with a Curlew and Redshank.

Nice photo of the Robin, Doug I see you and Steve have started the Xmas theme early :-O

Attachments

• Dabchick 002-2 (Large).jpg
    Dabchick 002-2 (Large).jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 57
  • Dabchick 013-2 (Large).jpg
    Dabchick 013-2 (Large).jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 54
A few more from today-
The Robin shot is from the Tile sheds, pity i could not include its tail!;)
Off line for a bit so everyone keep up the good work:t:

Attachments

• tn_IMG_8112.jpg
    tn_IMG_8112.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 43
  • tn_IMG_8030.jpg
    tn_IMG_8030.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 47
  • tn_IMG_7884.jpg
    tn_IMG_7884.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 52
  • tn_IMG_7882.jpg
    tn_IMG_7882.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 60
A few more from today-
The Robin shot is from the Tile sheds, pity i could not include its tail!;)
Off line for a bit so everyone keep up the good work:t:

Cracking shots of the Waxwings Steve, but I just can't seem to pick out the Robin let alone its tail;)

Just been down to Trow Quarry by the side of the road towards Mango's, 5 dead Pheasants lying in the long grass. I can only think someone may have tried to sell them to the pub but am open to suggestions.

Attachments

• 17112008016.jpg
    17112008016.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 66
Apparently a couple of Shore Lark were seen down Teesside yesterday. Might be worth keeping our eyes open when we're out. You never know!

Apparently a couple of Shore Lark were seen down Teesside yesterday. Might be worth keeping our eyes open when we're out. You never know!

Thanks for that, Jason:t: - also single Snow Bunting reported on the path leading to Whitburn obs today.

Cheers, Dougie.

The Waxwings at Saxon Way were displaying superbly today - i had an hour away from work and they were present the full time - here are a couple of the many pictures i got...

Last edited:
The Waxwings at Saxon Way were displaying superbly today - i had an hour away from work and they were present the full time - here are a couple of the many pictures i got...

Well done with the flight shot, Derek - it's a difficult one mate:t:

Cheers, Dougie.

Since the Brambling is now a regular visitor to the garden (12 days) the Woodpecker has been sighted at all, don't know wether it feels its beak has been pushed out !. Still got 4 Coalies, 10 House Sparrows and had 7 Collared Doves the other day, normally only get 2 or 3.

Down on the Leas this morning plenty of Oysters 70+ also GB Gull, BH Gulls, Herring Gulls and Jackdaws, Crows all feeding/resting on the stretch of grass by the Bamburgh. Further on 2 pair of Stonechats along the hedgerows.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back