• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (4 Viewers)

Another 2 from today-
Pic 1- Seems the Squirrels(Grey rats) at Thornley have outwitted the obstacles! ive seen a one inside them:-C
Pic 2 - Counld,nt see properly what the Heron caught at Far Pasture, it quickly turned away after capture to feed...looks to me like a chick? it was taken from the grassed area in front of the hide.

Attachments

• tn_Grey rat at Thornley.jpg
    tn_Grey rat at Thornley.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 44
  • tn_Heron food.jpg
    tn_Heron food.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 58
Local Patch

Been in and around Marsden old quarry and Cleadon Hills over the weekend but very quiet.

Found two groups of white bluebells this morning.

Can anyone identify the plant in the second photo please? It seems fairly common as there was planty of it around but I have not noticed it before.

Anyone fancy Friday 29th May for the night out?

Brian

Attachments

• BF1.jpg
    BF1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 33
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 36
  • BF3.jpg
    BF3.jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 23
  • BF4.jpg
    BF4.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 23
Hiya,

Had a trip to Chillingham Castle in Northumberland with my Canon pal Jim today - primarily landscaping. Anyway walked towards the lake through the woodland and came across quite a selection of birds. Typically i had the wide angle lens fitted to the camera so missed what would have been a few good shots.

Anyway saw Treecreeper, Blue Tit, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Carrion Crows, Jackdaws, GS Woodpecker, some Gulls (sorry but they all look the same to me) Goldfinch, Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler, and a first for me Redstarts :t:

Also heard what i also presumed to be woodpecker pecking at a tree - not the typical sound i'm used to as this sounded more 'mechanical' like a petrol chainsaw starting? It wasn't a chainsaw as it was pretty much right above us, but could we see anything - no chance.

Anyway here are a couple of poor grab shots after i rushed to change lenses when i first spotted the Redstarts....

Last edited:
Been in and around Marsden old quarry and Cleadon Hills over the weekend but very quiet.

Found two groups of white bluebells this morning.

Can anyone identify the plant in the second photo please? It seems fairly common as there was planty of it around but I have not noticed it before.

Anyone fancy Friday 29th May for the night out?

Brian
Hello, I think the plant is called Perennial honesty (Lunaria rediviva ) I see it all over the hills every spring in damp places.Hope it's the right answer!.....................Laurence.

Temple Park

Not the usual stomping ground for me'n'the dog but had a walk around the paths here and straight away came across a pair of Whitethroat(common) and a Gropper at the back of the Leisure Centre. Loads of Blackbird, Crow, and Magpies, and a single Pied Wag. Further on I found a pond (didn't know that was there) with a Moorhen in it and a couple of Collared Dove. Further Gropper around this area reeling.
I am sure on a sunny day there will be plenty more as it was early morning and damp and grey when I was over so another visit is called for I reckon.

Had a nose around S/T/side today. No mega rarities, but an interesting day all the same. Started at Marsden Quarry, where we got some cracking views of both the Little Owl and a male Kestrel.
Checked out the car park south of Souter where there were good numbers of everything you’d expect to see there including a Shag on the water.
We then walked along the Leas. The mound was great, with a number of G/H Wobs reeling and offering a couple of fleeting glimpses. The highlight (though it may have had a less than happy ending) was watching a S/E Owl ( I may stand corrected on this but am almost certain of ID) fly in off the sea and be mercilessly mobbed by a group of Herring Gulls. They kept attacking it and were forcing it back out to sea. My worry is that it is now an ex S/E Owl. I spoke to Johnsulli today and he said there had been no records of SEO on the Leas this year. Those blood thirsty gulls may be a perfect explanation as to why.
Not really the type of thing you enjoy witnessing, but it is just mother nature at work, and interesting for that reason.

MICK

Photo added - got the camera out too late so it's pretty poor but you can see the SEO on the left.

Joanne

Last edited:
Hiya,

Had a few hours at Thornley Woodlands today - pretty much the usual suspects except i got this little fella. Photo's not very good as it was partly hidden behind grass, hence the green haze over its rump/tail. Can anyone please tell me what it is, looking at my book i'm guessing Lesser Whitethroat ??

Last edited:
Thats a cracking report Mick and Joanne, first sighted Shortie for the Leas(that i know about) this year/last winter.!:clap:
Gulls often attact like this to any preditor sp. especially comming in off the sea, or not known to thier patch as other birds do.
I hope the bird made land before it became exhaused!...Nice one to find again folks if you have time tomorrow:t:;)
Well done Joanne with the hurried shot:t:

looks like a Chiffchaff - well caught.
Hi Nick - thanks, i thought the Chiffchaff was a bit browner with a yellowy breast - this was predominantly grey on its back and definitely white on its front.
I thought i'd had a second new bird in as many days for me - nevermind, thanks again.... :t::t:

Nick beat me to the ID. Derek, too busy typing the last post...Yep Chiffchaff to me also.
But well caught, I think the Tawny will be back;)

Nick beat me to the ID. Derek, too busy typing the last post...Yep Chiffchaff to me also.
But well caught, I think the Tawny will be back;)
Thanks Steve & Nick - think i'm gonna chuck my book in the bin as i can always rely on the guys on the forum for a much more positive ID than my wild stabs in the dark :-O

I had it between a Garden Warbler & Lesser Whitethroat, wouldn't care i've seen a load of Chiffchaffs & Willow Warblers recently but none as close as this..

Steve, i was hoping the Tawny would be around (another bird i've never seen in the wild) - one of the guys i see there quite regularly saw & photographed it a week gone Saturday - middle of the day as well. Nice photo by the way:t:

Anyway here are a couple of the usual suspects;

Last edited:
Great Redstart before Derek.

great to see there about here now, still none near me, hopefully soon tho.
Thanks Nick - this was a definite new bird for me :t:

Just wish i'd had my tripod and other lens with me as there was about 6 of them flitting in and out of a couple of trees about 40 feet away from where i was stood.

We went to peterborough for the BH. went for a walk with family. We saw gc grebes, red kites, sedge & reed warblers, blackcaps, whitethroats and to top it off a grass snake in the lake and a green woodpecker. I'll have to visit my sister more often ;)

Hi All,

Well i followed in the footsteps of the ST Pathfinder Brigade to Blacktoft today, cracking day spoilt by the weather, poor light really ruined the photograph opportunities.

Nevertheless i made the most of the day and captured a similar bag to what was shown here a couple of weeks ago, less the butterflies & dragonflies because of the weather;

Birds seen, Sedge Warbler, Reed Bunting, Wren, Avocet, Pochard, Gadwall, GC Grebe, Little Grebe, Greylag Geese, Mallards, Crows, Marsh Harriers, Reed Warbler, Blue Tit, BH Gull, Heron, Barn Owl, Water Rail, Ruddy Duck, Bar Tailed Godwits, Spotted Redshank, Teal, Shelduck, Swallows, House Martins, Sand Martins, Swift, Tree Sparrow, Magpie, Coots, Moorhen, Woodpigeon, Stock Dove, Kestrel & Redshank.

Was talking to a lad who reckoned he'd heard a Bearded Tit but didn't see any at the furthest hide to the right if your back is towards the carpark....

Like the rest of the guys the Marsh Harriers stayed a bit too far away for anything decent - although i did take approx 300 of them :-O

Highlight of the day was a male Marsh Harrier transferring prey (looked like some kind of chick) to a female bird - great experience to see :t:

Here is the best of the Marsh Harriers;

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back