• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (1 Viewer)

Has anyone else noticed this thread is nearly at 10,000 posts? Not too shabby.
Certainly miles more than the Northumberland thread it has only 6633.Also i have to say the stynside thread is the best of the Northeast ones we have info on all sorts plants,birds,insects,shooting and gardening tips.

Last edited:
To be honest I wasnt paying attention to his name! Maybe Sir Douglas can confirm?

Decca Wade was indeed the original drummer (c'1977), and the first of many ( they've had 5 or 6 since then, I think)

Happy days!:-O

Cheers, Dougie.

Hello Andy. I'm also a Sunderland lad, and next year I'm planning to explore my hometown a lot more than I have in the past. If I see anything decent I'll let you know!

Jason,
Thanks for that,living where I do in Ashbrooke,I regularly within a 1/2 mile of my cottage currently see the following,
Great,Long,Coal and Blue Tits,Greenfinch,Chaffinch,Mistle and Song Thrush,House and Hedge Sparrow,Starling,GW Woodpecker(every time in Backhouse Park),Pied Wagtail,Tawny Owls(who keep me awake at this time of year with their mating search-incessant!) and Kestrel,Carrion Crow,Rook and Jackdaw,Collared Dove and Wood Pigeon,Wren and Robin,etc.
I also know Long Eared Owl have been seen in Backhouse Park(not that long ago either so I keep looking !),as has a Barn Owl that regularly last summer frequented Sunderland Rugby Club(more commonly known as Ashbrooke Cricket Club on West Lawn).
I also saw a Kingfisher not long ago in Backhouse Park whilst occassional Nuthatches appear too.
Plus all the gulls in Winter together with Redwing,Fieldfare and greater numbers of Woodpigeon,Wrens and Robins etc.
In Summer Chiff Chaff,Willow Warbler,All wagtails (a hotspot is along the beck/burn/rivulet that arrives in Barbara Priestman School,through Thornhill School,Brookside Terrace,under Ashbroke Sports Club ( i.e.Sunderland Rugby Club and into backhouse Park). We live in a city with loads to see close by that I dont know yet but how much is on my doorstep still ?

Had a visit to Tile Shed's this morning,usual duck's,lot's of Sparrow's in bushe's.pair of Reed Bunting,and this rubbish dumped in small car park.:C,I'll send e-mail to see if this rubbish can be taking away.

Attachments

• 100_3904.JPG
    100_3904.JPG
    246.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 100_3909.JPG
    100_3909.JPG
    203.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 100_3910.JPG
    100_3910.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 26
Jason,
Thanks for that,living where I do in Ashbrooke,I regularly within a 1/2 mile of my cottage currently see the following,
Great,Long,Coal and Blue Tits,Greenfinch,Chaffinch,Mistle and Song Thrush,House and Hedge Sparrow,Starling,GW Woodpecker(every time in Backhouse Park),Pied Wagtail,Tawny Owls(who keep me awake at this time of year with their mating search-incessant!) and Kestrel,Carrion Crow,Rook and Jackdaw,Collared Dove and Wood Pigeon,Wren and Robin,etc.
I also know Long Eared Owl have been seen in Backhouse Park(not that long ago either so I keep looking !),as has a Barn Owl that regularly last summer frequented Sunderland Rugby Club(more commonly known as Ashbrooke Cricket Club on West Lawn).
I also saw a Kingfisher not long ago in Backhouse Park whilst occassional Nuthatches appear too.
Plus all the gulls in Winter together with Redwing,Fieldfare and greater numbers of Woodpigeon,Wrens and Robins etc.
In Summer Chiff Chaff,Willow Warbler,All wagtails (a hotspot is along the beck/burn/rivulet that arrives in Barbara Priestman School,through Thornhill School,Brookside Terrace,under Ashbroke Sports Club ( i.e.Sunderland Rugby Club and into backhouse Park). We live in a city with loads to see close by that I dont know yet but how much is on my doorstep still ?

Just a thought !
Whilst I know most ( I think) of us read the Durham,South Tyneside probably Cleveland and Northumberland forums thought best to add it to Durham too,as not looking for the old debate again but we all know(and its not my original area)that Sunderland is in County Durham !

Just a thought should we go for a Sunderland Borough ( Stevie Evans) help me out there please, 2011 year tick list ?

Last edited:
Had a visit to Tile Shed's this morning,usual duck's,lot's of Sparrow's in bushe's.pair of Reed Bunting,and this rubbish dumped in small car park.:C,I'll send e-mail to see if this rubbish can be taking away.

Sid, when I was here this afternoon there was also a massive white bra hanging on the fence next to the patio table and chairs in your photo :eek!:

I thought maybe someone was trying to entice humongous tits into the nature reserve :t:

Just a thought should we go for a Sunderland Borough ( Stevie Evans) help me out there please, 2011 year tick list ?

I've had many debates with a friend (not a birder) about where the county boundaries are. Stevie might be able to put it to rest but I understand that Washington is now Sunderland and so are places like Fence Houses etc. When you exit my village you actually pretty much go into Sunderland. Then go back into Durham if you go certain ways. All very strange. I would love to actually know where the county boundaries are.

As for sending your records into your local county recorder (Mark) anywhere south of the tyne and north of tees is the Durham recording area. :t:

i usually say its scattered all over the road (west pastures) seems to get them out abit quicker.

Sid, when I was here this afternoon there was also a massive white bra hanging on the fence next to the patio table and chairs in your photo :eek!:

I thought maybe someone was trying to entice humongous tits into the nature reserve :t:

cheers rob
ive been looking all over for it
im so careless
ahahaha

Rounded off the year nicely with Arctic Redpoll yesterday.Year list total for 2010 is 243 that's 10 more than last year.Stynside year list 160 missed a few birds in our patch especially seabirds didn't see Pom,LT Skuas,Sabines Gull,Cory Shearwater,Black Guillemot,Little Auk,Puffin.Hasn't been good for fresh water waders because Boldon Flats didn't have any water in the autumn.So no Wood sands,Little Stints,Ruffs,Spotshanks.But the most amazing thing is that it's the first year EVER that i haven't seen a YB Warbler in stynside.Some other birds that i didn't catch up with Glaucous Gull,Iceland Gull,YL Gull,GG Shrike and Water pipit.One of the highlights of the late summer and autumn period for me was the record number of Roseate Terns seen at Shields.

It's been a very good year for butterflies total number of species seen 27.One lifer WL Hairstreak thanks to Dereks info.Good year for Butterflies in stynside 18 species recorded.Highlight of the year were the huge numbers of Small Skippers they have certainly increased in numbers.It's now our commonest Skipper in our patch.Another butterfly seen more than usual was Red Admiral i had 14 in the garden one day.That is my biggest count for the garden.

It was a slow start to the Dragonfly and Damselfly season this year but it was very good in the end.By far the best site in out patch for dragonflies and damselflies is Testo's pool.I recorded 14 species.

Common Blue Damselfly
Azure Damselfly
Emerald Damselfly
BT Damselfly
LR Damselfly
Banded Demoiselle
Emperor Dragonfly
Common Darter
FS Chaser
Southern Hawker
Black-tailed Skimmer
Migrant Hawker
And the last 2 Ruddy Darter and Broad-bodied Chaser are firsts for me at Testo's pool.Other dragonflies seen away from Testo's GR Dragonflies at Hamsterley,Tunstall Res and Black Darters. at Kibblesworth

Last edited:
My total for this year (I only started keeping a list in September) is a lowly 74 and only 4 of them where outside of S Tyneside (Puffin - Farnes, Red Kite - Chopwell, Canada Goose - Herrington Park and Common Buzzard - Wirral).

New Years resolution - must make more of an effort next year :eek!:

Wishing you all a healthy, happy and prosperous New Year and remember, beer goggles can seriously improve your birding :-O

18.gif

You've had a good year Martin, I've finished on 206 which is 32 better than my previous best so well happy with that, had 14 lifers this year (still some way to go to catch Andrew up).
My South Tyneside list I think came to 140 so quite happy with that aswell.

Not many expected birds that i missed out on,the one huge suprise being not seeing a single Merlin must be the first year ever.

The highlight for the county must be the Dotterel for me,slightly dissapointed not to see a GG Shrike(which would be a lifer) or Barred Warbler considering i believe it was a record autumn for both but all in all the best year I've had.

You've had a good year Martin, I've finished on 206 which is 32 better than my previous best so well happy with that, had 14 lifers this year (still some way to go to catch Andrew up).
My South Tyneside list I think came to 140 so quite happy with that aswell.

Not many expected birds that i missed out on,the one huge suprise being not seeing a single Merlin must be the first year ever.

The highlight for the county must be the Dotterel for me,slightly dissapointed not to see a GG Shrike(which would be a lifer) or Barred Warbler considering i believe it was a record autumn for both but all in all the best year I've had.
Hi Adam you have done well this year.Yes Dotterel was one of my highlights as well. Very strange place to see one beside nesting terns.Haven't seen many Merlins none in stynside seen them mostly down at Teeside.Had a good year for county ticks 5 which puts me on 337.Really pleased to catch up with Whiskered Tern after missing the 2 adults last year at Saltholm.Also BT Thrush was a well overdue county tick.Not going far tomorrow having a look round stynside and the next day might go down to Teeside.

Last edited:
colliery woods and fields, loads of goldfinch again down by the school path feeding on thistles in the set a side swamp bit.
2 siskin
10 + l-t tits
10 lapwing
great and blue tits seemed to be everywhere
reed buntings on the table
3 motor bikes making a hell of a racket so i gave up.
oh aye and i left some pork pies for the skinny vixen :)

I forgot about the Whiskered Tern, i dipped that on the only day it wasnt seen during its stay so still remains a lifer,just remembered about the Hoopoe i dipped in the borders aswell.
Dont think I'll be going far over the weekend but I'll try and get a few local ticks.

I forgot about the Whiskered Tern, i dipped that on the only day it wasnt seen during its stay so still remains a lifer,just remembered about the Hoopoe i dipped in the borders aswell.
Dont think I'll be going far over the weekend but I'll try and get a few local ticks.
Be worth keeping your eye on your garden feeding station.You just never know something interesting might appear.There was a Dusky Thrush in garden down south not so long ago.

Last edited:
Been worth keeping your eye on your garden feeding station.U just never know some interesting might appear.There was a Dusky Thrush in garden down south not so long ago.

Yes you just never know, had a Coal Tit yesterday which i very rarely see around the garden.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back