• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (1 Viewer)

Steve I was at Rainton with Paul H when he got the news of the whale. To say he was a touch peeved is one hell of an understatement!!!

Thats understandable the amount of time the bloke spends in the obs.(full respect) and he's left his post today...:eek!:

Martin... Was that joke out of the beano?..

Last edited:
Walked along River Don this afternoon,2 Swan's just along from Robin Hood & 7 Cygnet's near St.Paul's Church.Anyone on this site use a Panasonic fz28 or 38,just to see picture quality.

I have an FZ28, got to go to bed now but when I get the chance will put some photo's up. All the photo's I've taken since February this year have been with an FZ28. Some have been abysmal some have been ok, its very dependant on conditions (after it starts getting dull you can't get decent photo's). FZ38 will be very similar in photo quality and probably other superzooms also. you can get a telephoto lense for about £60-80 second hand (or £150 new) called the olympus 1.7 TCON17. this will double the magnification, I'm thinking of getting one.

http://www.safari-guide.co.uk/panasonic-telephoto-conversion-lens.php

Last edited:
Had a look around the Roker area this morning,the park was very quiet but a decent selection of Waders in between the piers with 2 Purple Sandpipers amongst Ringed Plovers,Dunlin,Sanderling and Turnstones.
2 Mute Swans amongst the boats in the marina and a bit suprised to see a cock Pheasant flying towards me at head hight that someone flushed out from near the Italian.

Got WWT and RSPB memberships for Christmas which should get me out and about more often and hopefully some better photos (hides v stalking).

What should be my next useful purchase to get me closer to the action and more involved in my birding?

Had another trip to Rainton Meadows today which was very productive.I saw a 1stw Arctic Redpoll a different bird to the one i saw after christmas. Also still lots of Mealy Redpolls ,Lesser Redpolls,Siskins and Goldfinches around.Had a flight view of a Bittern flying over pool 2.Year list 65.

What should be my next useful purchase to get me closer to the action and more involved in my birding?

A long lens, but they tend run a bid dearer than the reserve memberships.
Or maybe patience & luck, I've got the first one, but don't seem to carry much of the second :-O.

If you just intend visiting the reserves, there's normally adequate hides, just sit and wait.

Freedom!

Lucky enough to view the Bittern again this morning and it was decided that the bird had made a full enough recovery for release.This was all down to the rescurer and his excellent knowledge and tireless effort with the bird.

A couple of sites had been discussed for the release of the bird over the last few days and for various reasons East Chevington was chosen only this morning on our visit to asses the birds health.

So with the car full and a very special cargo in the boot(safely housed for the journey) off we went.

When we arrived the bird was fully recorded, ringed, weighed and sexed... Female.

After this process we ventured down toward the reed beds on the south pool here. The bird was placed on the ground ...it took a few steps before flying across the water and dropped into the large reed bed....Smiles all round especially on the rescurer's face.:t:

Attachments

• down you go.jpg
    down you go.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 132
  • which way.jpg
    which way.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 112
  • away.jpg
    away.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 123
Or maybe patience & luck, I've got the first one, but don't seem to carry much of the second :-O.

QUOTE]

:eek!::eek!::eek!: !!!!!!!!!!! Ray, you are second only to Derek in the spawny bird sighting stakes! If I go looking for a bird and either of you two are there I know I'm in luck!
Not only do you have the serendipitous touch, you take a canny photo with that Bazooka Joe camera of yours;):t:

Mick

Lucky enough to view the Bittern again this morning and it was decided that the bird had made a full enough recovery for release.This was all down to the rescurer and his excellent knowledge and tireless effort with the bird.

A couple of sites had been discussed for the release of the bird over the last few days and for various reasons East Chevington was chosen only this morning on our visit to asses the birds health.

So with the car full and a very special cargo in the boot(safely housed for the journey) off we went.

When we arrived the bird was fully recorded, ringed, weighed and sexed... Female.

After this process we ventured down toward the reed beds on the south pool here. The bird was placed on the ground ...it took a few steps before flying across the water and dropped into the large reed bed....Smiles all round especially on the rescurer's face.:t:

Fantastic story Steve. Well done to everyone involved especially the mystery rescurer. That's what conservation is all about.

Paul

A long lens, but they tend run a bid dearer than the reserve memberships.

If you just intend visiting the reserves, there's normally adequate hides, just sit and wait.

I have a Sigma 150-500mm lens Ray, but it's a bit of a beast to go stalking with, especially when its always attached to a Manfrotto 055 tripod and 393 gimbal head.

What I'm after is somewhere to sit down with the camera and get good shots without having to crawl around in camo gear (don't mind the cold, but somewhere dry would be preferable :t:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just checking to see if our stories measure up Steve!B :)

Hi Folks,

As late as 9.30am this morning (and due to circumstances beyond our control), we were still unsure as to where and when, the Bittern should finally be released.

However, a bit of good fortune went our way in the final stages of planning (long story), it was decided that, (in the interests of the bird), East Chevington in Northumberland was by far the best option….

We travelled up there, with the Bittern sat in a wicker washing basket:-O:-O, and arrived just after 11 am. The BTO guys immediately began recording the biometrics of the bird, which resulted in it being identified as an adult female. She was ringed and then weighed and found to be well over the recommended weight for release back to the wild – well done to the carer – excellent job mate!:clap:…

Anyway, after everything was done‘n’dusted, so to speak, we made the short walk so we were nearer to the marsh. The Bittern was gently placed on freshly grazed grassland, where she stayed quite still for approximately 30 seconds, before looking around and realising she was free to go.

Then with an almighty push of the legs she lifted off, and flew very strongly for about 500 metres, heading for the security and cover of the nearby reedbeds.

Considering, less than 10 days ago this bird didn’t have a future, it was a wonderful sight to witness, leading to the ultimate ‘feelgood factor’:king:….

Happy New Year!

Cheers, Dougie.

leading to the ultimate ‘feelgood factor’:king:….

Cheers, Dougie.

I am not surpised, it must have been very rewarding releasing the bird knowing if it had not fallen into capable hands it would probably be dead now.

Well done to all concerned:t::t:

I think it must be in contention for the story of 2010. Anyone think of any better?

Brian

I have a Sigma 150-500mm lens Ray, but it's a bit of a beast to go stalking with, especially when its always attached to a Manfrotto 055 tripod and 393 gimbal head.

What I'm after is somewhere to sit down with the camera and get good shots without having to crawl around in camo gear (don't mind the cold, but somewhere dry would be preferable :t:)

There's loads of potential hides as long as you have transport Rob.
Get a key from Thornley Woods - cost £5, gets you into a total of 5 hides around the area, you get a map when you get the key + there's Cresswell, Druridge etc + you mention that you don't mind the cold, there's always the freezer hide at Rainton Meadows and not forgetting that you're off to a good start with your xmas present.
Wherever you go, just ask the locals, It's surprising how helpful most of them are.

I am not surpised, it must have been very rewarding releasing the bird knowing if it had not fallen into capable hands it would probably be dead now.

Well done to all concerned:t::t:

I think it must be in contention for the story of 2010. Anyone think of any better?

Brian

I think for this thread certainly. But if you think about it there is some great work going on which is very important and in the grand scheme of things far better than rescuing 1 Bittern from certain death. Look at the work you lads have done (Coastal Conservation Group) for your area. Planting trees which will no doubt be a great help to migrant birds on there long journeys by providing shelter, food supply, etc. As well as other work you've done to help birds and wildlife in your area.

Also the RSPB who do a great job at Saltholme on managing and creating large reedbed areas in the hope of encouraging Bitterns to breed on the reserve, also all the other management of habitat they do on their reserve. Also important work done by the DBC, TBC, etc all to help birds in the North East bird recording area of Durham.

But this is an excellent story and its great to hear a quite rare breeding bird has been rescued from death:t: Once upon a time they were very common and the Bishop of York ordered 200 Bitterns for 1 feast, that's the entire British breeding population (at present). Just goes to show how common they were before man took away large areas of reedbed to make way for our own benefit and luxury.

Nice photos of it as well seggs:t:

Just checking to see if our stories measure up Steve!B :)

Hi Folks,

As late as 9.30am this morning (and due to circumstances beyond our control), we were still unsure as to where and when, the Bittern should finally be released.

However, a bit of good fortune went our way in the final stages of planning (long story), it was decided that, (in the interests of the bird), East Chevington in Northumberland was by far the best option….

We travelled up there, with the Bittern sat in a wicker washing basket:-O:-O, and arrived just after 11 am. The BTO guys immediately began recording the biometrics of the bird, which resulted in it being identified as an adult female. She was ringed and then weighed and found to be well over the recommended weight for release back to the wild – well done to the carer – excellent job mate!:clap:…

Anyway, after everything was done‘n’dusted, so to speak, we made the short walk so we were nearer to the marsh. The Bittern was gently placed on freshly grazed grassland, where she stayed quite still for approximately 30 seconds, before looking around and realising she was free to go.

Then with an almighty push of the legs she lifted off, and flew very strongly for about 500 metres, heading for the security and cover of the nearby reedbeds.

Considering, less than 10 days ago this bird didn’t have a future, it was a wonderful sight to witness, leading to the ultimate ‘feelgood factor’:king:….

Happy New Year!

Cheers, Dougie.
Far better than my account mate as always..:t:

I read and post messages,as you probably see,if I want to make a 4 hour walk around ST tomorrow,any hints as to how I get the best value bird wise of the walk ?(Just incase you are wondering,I am not entering the bird race !). Thank you.

Last edited:
I read and post messages,as you probably see,if I want to make a 4 hour walk around ST tomorrow,any hints as to how I get the best value bird wise of the walk ?(Just incase you are wondering,I am not entering the bird race !). Thank you.
No probs. Andy about the Bird race each to thier own its not everyones "cup of tea". For various reasons.

For a four hour walk I would sugguest the coastal route from Whitburn to Shields pier this time of year.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back