• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (3 Viewers)

west pastures 30/31 may looking for owls, didn't see or hear a single one :(
l-t tit
chiffchaff
willow warbler
goldfinch, with ybs
wren
jackdaw
house sparrow
collar dove
wood pigeon
crow
rook
dunnock
6 distant geese heading north then turned over wardley heaps and headed west 8.20 pm
kestrel
swallow
100s of swifts
magpie
pheasant
whitethroat
skylark
meadow pipit
lapwing
blackbird
starling
grey heron
house martin
yellowhammer
canada goose 1 alone all by his self at the traveller site
blackcap
partridge with 4 eggs a few yard from the public footpath in a hay field, due to be cut in the next few days...
il try a over night owl watch on wardley heaps next plenty voles and mice there.

Free countryside events

A few countryside events coming up:

http://www.southtyneside.info/applications/2/whatson/default.aspx?series=10&template=countryside

Also a free open day at Gosforth Park Nature Reserve on Saturday 2nd July from 10.30 to 3.30.
This is usually only open to members of the Natural History Society of Northumbria, so is a good chance to see their fantastic woodlands and reedbeds.
http://www.nhsn.ncl.ac.uk/resources-gosforth-nature-reserve.php
http://www.nhsn.ncl.ac.uk/activities-ttea.php

West Pastures 8th/11th
house sparrow
swift
swallow
crow
magpie
lbb gull
common gull herring gull
meadow pipit
canada geese c 80 in 3 groups
skylark
lapwing
blackbird
kestrel and kestrel pellets
curlew
blue tits (family)
house martin
whitethroat feeding
goldfinch
pheasant
partridge 50 plus ybs but lots of failed breeders about
collar dove
wood pigeons
stock dove
yellowhammer
common buzzard
sparrowhawk
linnet
lesser whitethroat
chaffinch
bullfinch
chiffchaff
blackcap
mistle thrush
gs woodpecker
little owl
heron
dunnock
l-t tits
distant views of buzzard male ( i was still on macro then it got distant)
it looks like its got recently damaged flights, one was flapping on the downward beat.

Attachments

• buzz 082.JPG
    buzz 082.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 40
  • buzz 077.JPG
    buzz 077.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 33
Fishing line cygnets at Quadrus Pond Boldon

Someone has told me that today she saw two cygnets with fishing line attached to them at Boldon Quadrus Pond (Testoes).
She said they didn't seem distressed, and a fisherman said he'd try to release them, but if anyone here can help, could you go and have a look in case he didn't manage to sort them out?

If anyone knows anyone who fishes there, could you impress on them how dangerous it is to discard line and weights and hooks.

Someone has told me that today she saw two cygnets with fishing line attached to them at Boldon Quadrus Pond (Testoes).
She said they didn't seem distressed, and a fisherman said he'd try to release them, but if anyone here can help, could you go and have a look in case he didn't manage to sort them out?

If anyone knows anyone who fishes there, could you impress on them how dangerous it is to discard line and weights and hooks.

Would be prudent perhaps to contact the RSPCA before things deteriorate further.

I went to check on the cygnets today and all seems well, so no need for RSPCA.
I had forgotten my binoculars so couldn't get close, but one fisherman said they had all been swimming near him without a problem.
I did however remove 3 very long lengths of line from the bank and boardwalk near the Quadrus. I expect these were what got caught on them (no wonder).
I can't believe fishermen are so irresponsible to leave it!
There is also an awful lot of litter and rubbish both in the lake and around it.

And someone has put the invasive alien pond plant Crassula / Tilea / Australian swamp stonecrop / New Zealand pygmyweed in it and it is really taking over one side and starting to grow out of the water.

PS It isn't council owned any more.

I went to check on the cygnets today and all seems well, so no need for RSPCA.
I had forgotten my binoculars so couldn't get close, but one fisherman said they had all been swimming near him without a problem.
I did however remove 3 very long lengths of line from the bank and boardwalk near the Quadrus. I expect these were what got caught on them (no wonder).
I can't believe fishermen are so irresponsible to leave it!
There is also an awful lot of litter and rubbish both in the lake and around it.

And someone has put the invasive alien pond plant Crassula / Tilea / Australian swamp stonecrop / New Zealand pygmyweed in it and it is really taking over one side and starting to grow out of the water.

PS It isn't council owned any more.

Who owns it now then ?

i also looked this morning couldnt see any line on them. its the line and hooks snagged in the water thats the biggest problem.
some fishing club own it now i believe.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back