• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (2 Viewers)

Saturday 18th June, 10am – 12noon

Limestone Landscapes festival: Birds of The Coast

Join Mike Harris from the RSPB as we enjoy the sights and sounds of South Tyneside’s fabulous coastal birds. We will start at Marsden Bay, teeming with breeding kittiwakes, fulmars, razorbills and gulls. We will then walk the two miles or so down the coast to Whitburn Coastal Park to see if we can spot waders such as oystercatcher, ringed plover, dunlin and turnstone in the rocky pools. The walk will finish at Souter Lighthouse where drinks, snacks and lunches are available to eat in or take away. Mike may also be offering some bird related fun activities in the early afternoon. Binoculars will be available to borrow, but please bring your own if you have them, wear sturdy boots and dress for the weather. Booking is not required

This is a South Tyneside Council and RSPB event .

Venue: Meet by the ice-cream kiosk at the roundabout on the Coast Rd / bottom of Redwell Lane, Marsden, South Shields. NE34 7JS

Contact: Matt Hawking on 4247422 or email: [email protected]

Saturday 18th June, 1.30pm – 3.30pm

Limestone Landscapes festival: Flowers of the coast

Limestone Landscapes is a major new project celebrating our Magnesian limestone landscapes. This gentle 2.5 mile walk will take in Byer’s Hole, Whitburn Point and Rocket Green, looking at the special wildflowers that thrive where the influences of the limestone and the sea overlap. At Jackie’s Beach we will explore the rare vegetated shingle habitats. Throughout we will discuss why the plants are there and how to identify them. Booking is not required.

This is a South Tyneside Council Countryside Team event.

Venue: Meet in the Foghorn Field, Souter Lighthouse, Coast Road, Whitburn. SR6 7NH.

Contact: Matt Hawking on 4247422 or email: [email protected]

At the Boldon Business Park Lake this evening and it was obvious one of the eight cygnets had fishing line tight on its right leg above its foot. Infact it was towing a twig. I phoned the RSPCA and they are going to send someone out.
Reed Warbler still singing in reeds, two Common Tern over north and one south.

I also have heard that, would be good to learn which one...Lakeside one maybe?

Steve,

The pond at Testo's is council owned but the last that I heard there is no fishing club which has the rights to fish there as the council don't want anyone fishing there. I think Lakeside club has been dissolved as the new owner of Lakeside doesn't want anyone fishing the lakes.

Most responsible fishing clubs have rules for members against discarding fishing line. If you sit down to fish and find someone else's line is discarded where you are fishing it now becomes yours. Failure to take it home can result in being expelled from the club.

The other tell tale sign is the rubbish in the pond if a club had the rights to fish there it would be better managed and the rubbish removed to prevent snagging.

Does anyone know if the RSPB have responded? My call to them a couple of years ago to attend to a swan which had fishing gear around its bill and couldn't feed at Watergate lakes didn't get any response. They said they would ring my mobile as they got near the place but it never rang.:-C Needless to say the next time I fished there I couldn't find the swan.

Brian

I visited the Boldon Business Park Lake today to check on the cygnets. It is clear someone, presumably the RSPCA, has removed the line from the cygnet’s leg. However when they came across for bread it was lagging behind and when it caught up it was noticed it was swimming with one leg and the other was on its back. It could clearly be seen where the line had been as it appeared somewhat reddened. When it was feeding with the rest it was noticed it used both legs!
Perhaps when we do find who owns the lake we could organise a good clear up and arrange for them to collect the resulting rubbish pile? Or is this asking too much.

I visited the Boldon Business Park Lake today to check on the cygnets. It is clear someone, presumably the RSPCA, has removed the line from the cygnet’s leg. However when they came across for bread it was lagging behind and when it caught up it was noticed it was swimming with one leg and the other was on its back. It could clearly be seen where the line had been as it appeared somewhat reddened. When it was feeding with the rest it was noticed it used both legs!
Perhaps when we do find who owns the lake we could organise a good clear up and arrange for them to collect the resulting rubbish pile? Or is this asking too much.
When the ownership of this site is established and they have been approached regarding the issues raised it would be a great idea.

they were all ok saturday sitting around a fishermans umbrella where they preen
in front of the quadrus, mouter and myself had a good look at them.
theres that much snagged line in the water that they pick up almost daily, just most doesn't tangle around their feet.
if you email the southtyneside council eservices they eventually come to empty the bins, there quicker if you transfere the rubbish into the bin that visable from the cafe area.

when we do find who owns the lake we could organise a good clear up and arrange for them to collect the resulting rubbish pile? Or is this asking too much.

Excellent idea and hopefully we might be able to arrange some volunteers to help. Anyone got any chest waders?

It could be as well when we do find who the owners they would allow the lake to be managed properly to further encourage wildlife. An enforced ban on fishing wouldn't go amiss either as anyone who leaves fishing line obviously has no respect for wildlife or the environment.

After a few emails and phone calls Ive been told today by someone at the Quadrus centre that Whelans own the pond. ??? But a org. called DTZ manage it. Ive contacted DTZ and details have been passed onto them. Lets see if they get back?

After a few emails and phone calls Ive been told today by someone at the Quadrus centre that Whelans own the pond. ??? But a org. called DTZ manage it. Ive contacted DTZ and details have been passed onto them. Lets see if they get back?

nice one seggs

Good work. Lets hope they you hear from them soon and something can be organised. Surely they have some kind of duty to maintain and keep clean the lake and surrounding land if they manage it?

Hi all

The Souter lighthouse festival takes place this Sunday coming...July the 3rd. Starting at 10am and finishing at 4pm.

Our group The Coastal Conservation Group are holding a stall here on this day which will include nest boxes, books and photographs for sale.
Some of the groups members will be on hand to explain about the work we are involved in and two walks are arranged on this day.(11am & 2pm).

If anyone fancies popping along to the festival we will be pleased to see you's.

Last edited:
Update- regards Testoes pond-
Was in touch with DTZ last week and spoke to a high ranking official who is going to pass on details to the manager of this site within his org.,........ when the person comes back from leave.
No one has the fishing rights to this pond any more with the landlords permission, this agreement has never been renewed and by what ive been told will never be........ so.?

I approached the subject of habitat management and this was greeted with "possibly,maybe etc."

But if Whelans are the land owners there will be doubt thrown over the whole sites future! if they have gone under as i am lead to believe.?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back