• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (1 Viewer)

Lapland bunting along the leas this morning, just south of the point. Also willow warb along the hedge and goldcrest in trow main bowl

Attachments

• lapland bunt.jpg
    lapland bunt.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 70
Half dozen brambling in trow main bowl this morning, also 2 chiff chaff, 2 goldcrest, redwing and my first yellow browed warbler seen:t:. 10 fieldfare flew over

2 males and a female stonechat on the leas hedge at tea time. few record shots

Attachments

• 1st male stonechat.jpg
    1st male stonechat.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 2nd male stonechat.jpg
    2nd male stonechat.jpg
    188.7 KB · Views: 72
  • female stonechat.jpg
    female stonechat.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 31
Gosforth Park Nature Reserve UNDER THREAT

Hi all
Gosforth Park Nature Reserve - a haven for scarce wildlife is under threat from a huge housing development that would destroy large parts of the vital wildlife corridor surrounding this reserve. The site is an SSSI and is home to many different nationally important plant and animal species like coralroot orchid and red squirrel. It is home to breeding reed warblers and common terns, kingfisher and over-wintering bitterns too.

Can I urge anyone on the Forum who has ever visited this wonderful suburban reserve or who is prepared to stand against the Government's agenda of relaxing the planning laws to create an 'open season' for builders, to email the Head of Planning at Newcastle Council to complain. Your reserve could be next !!

Email: planning&[email protected] or write to Harvey Emms, Director of Planning, Newcastle City Council, Civic Centre, NE1 8PD.
DEADLINE is Nov 18th 2011.

A public meeting with planners will be held in Gosforth Civic Hall at 7pm on Tuesday 15th November. Please come and show your support.

For more information on the campaign go to:
http://www.nhsn.ncl.ac.uk/news/help-save-gosforth-wildlife-from-housing-development/

many thanks, Andy

hi all, been to west pastures today, seen pleanty kestrels and sparrow hawks and also 2 buzzards thanks for your help (especially yukonite)!

im no expert on buzzards but to me they seemed to be flying in a different behaviour than normally soaring high in the sky, the 2 where saoring the fields very close to the ground, could they have been rough legged buzzards as in a book i have it says that rough legs have an ability and habbit of flying low and doing slight hovers, i didnt see them through the bino's so i didnt get a good look at them bacause my dad wouldnt let go of them !

any thoughts?

hi all, been to west pastures today, seen pleanty kestrels and sparrow hawks and also 2 buzzards thanks for your help (especially yukonite)!

im no expert on buzzards but to me they seemed to be flying in a different behaviour than normally soaring high in the sky, the 2 where saoring the fields very close to the ground, could they have been rough legged buzzards as in a book i have it says that rough legs have an ability and habbit of flying low and doing slight hovers, i didnt see them through the bino's so i didnt get a good look at them bacause my dad wouldnt let go of them !

any thoughts?

Could you tell me where West Pastures are Steve . I most certainly saw a Rough Legged Buzzard over Cleadon Hills on 3rd November . I have yet to see a Common Buzzard over my home patch i.e. Whitburn Area . I study Buzzards in depth on my sons farm in Cumbria and at Geltsdale . They rank as one of my favourite birds . Rough Legs do hover but I have also see Common Buzzards fly in unusual ways !! There are some really good photographs on the Bird Guides site ... also some good clips on You Tube . There has been an influx of Rough Legs down the East coast over
the last week or so . John Miles at Geltsdale said that there are larger than usual numbers of Rough Legs in Europe this year .

yeah, if you have a search for follingsby lane its a road that runs through a load of pastures they have been spotted there for years apparently, it was my first time today and seen them about 200 yards away from the pet stop over the rough grass but they have also been spotted roosting towards elescope farm which you can view from a little bridge on folllingsby lane

A few very interesting talks taking place at souter lighthouse over the next coming months..

November

17th, All about bats
Clare Rawcliffe (STMBC)

24th, Archaelogy and history of the Leas
Harry Beamish

December

1st- What is a right of way?
Lisa Tracey(STMBC)

8th- Marine mammals in the North sea
Dr.Mike Tetley

15th.-Understanding Amphibians
Clare Rawcliffe(STMBC).

This is the programme of events regarding talks here so far.

Places are strictly limited, so pre-booking is essential; Please contact Anne Cauwood on 0191 5293161 to reserve your place(s). Or the lighthouse/Wardens.

They commence at around 7.30pm. and finish around 9pm. All welcome.

Last edited:
yeah, if you have a search for follingsby lane its a road that runs through a load of pastures they have been spotted there for years apparently, it was my first time today and seen them about 200 yards away from the pet stop over the rough grass but they have also been spotted roosting towards elescope farm which you can view from a little bridge on folllingsby lane

Saw my first buzzard in Tyne and wear today down Follingsbury Lane. That and a weasel made my day.

colliery woods 0900/1130
jay
gs woodpecker
redpoll (no mealies)
sparrowhawk
kestrel
chaffinch
goldfinch
greenfinch
bullfinch
redwing
fieldfare
bluetit
longtailedtit
greattit
dunnock
water rail
heard goldcrest but didn't see
no sign of the long-eared owl i saw yesterday

back at west patures this morning the buzzards are still about, they were in exactly the same spot as last week showing some excellent hovering skills

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back