• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

in and around south tyneside (4 Viewers)

Hi Adam,

Hopefully I can clarify this.

Peter Collins found the first Glaucous Gull at the flats on 23/12/2011. This was colour ringed, and due to a remarkably quick reply from the ringers, we were told it was ringed as a 2nd year bird at the Ugie Estuary , near Peterhead, in Aug 2011. I wrongly put this on the DBC website as a first winter, but it is clearly a 2nd winter bird. Apparantly this is the first Glaucous Gull to be ringed in this country for 9 yrs, and only the 62nd ever. This is its first reported sighting since it was ringed.

Then Peter Collins found another, unringed Glaucous Gull, probably the same age at the flats on Christmas Day. I didn't see that one, as the good lady would have murdered me if i'd even tried to look on Christmas day.

Hope that helps.
Excellent report!:t:

Hi just wanted to ask everyone if any of you are falconers or know of anyone willing to give advice and experience in the field as I'm fascinated by the sport and would like as much hands on experience as I can get before I go about getting my own bird. Any help would be great thanks.

Do you know of the Falconry Days offered in Wark?
http://www.intotheblue.co.uk/adventure-gifts/birds-of-prey/falconry/falconry-northumberland/
http://www.falconrydays.com/pg/about-falconry-days

Another link, further afield:
http://birdonthehand.co.uk/falconry-experience-days.asp

I went to one in Newent and had a super time!

Hi just wanted to ask everyone if any of you are falconers or know of anyone willing to give advice and experience in the field as I'm fascinated by the sport and would like as much hands on experience as I can get before I go about getting my own bird. Any help would be great thanks.

The Kielder bid of prey centre also offers falconry days as I was bought one for a gift but didn't take it up.

Brian

Thanks guys I am aware of these places and I am looking for good rep to which one I go to but even better than that would be to get some proper hands on experience in the field with an experienced falconer, I have heard and read that some of these places that offer courses aren't that experienced and teach bad habits just to make a quick buck but as a beginner how do you know what's right or wrong ! Think I'll just get a budgie lol

Had an encounter with the Eagle Owl last night at BOLDON FLATS. It was perched in bushes and trees calling and made four attacks at me including two with physical contact! I've been visiting under darkness to establish why birds infrequently roost at the Flats this winter and I think i've discovered why!!

Had an encounter with the Eagle Owl last night at BOLDON FLATS. It was perched in bushes and trees calling and made four attacks at me including two with physical contact! I've been visiting under darkness to establish why birds infrequently roost at the Flats this winter and I think i've discovered why!!

The house-owner where the owl has been frequenting the last couple of days is not too happy with it being there either - sending her dogs mad and she's a bit worried about the hedgehogs she looks after. If anyone knows who the Eagle Owl belongs to, or knows who could catch it/remove it to an appropriate BOP centre, please get in touch.

Mark

south tyneside eagle owl, cheers Peter. didnt see any jesses.

Attachments

• eagle owl 10_Bildgröße ändern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
    eagle owl 10_Bildgröße ändern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 74
  • eagle owl 11_Bildgröße ändern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
    eagle owl 11_Bildgröße ändern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 52
  • eagle owl 12_Bildgröße ändern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
    eagle owl 12_Bildgröße ändern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 48
  • eagle owl 13_Bildgröße ändern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
    eagle owl 13_Bildgröße ändern_Bildgröße ändern.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

hi boldon buzzard
i think the physical contact proves the bird is an escaped bird, it wasnt attacking you it just saw you as a source of food. The owl was probably trying to get on your arm to be fed, i know eagle owls can attack humans in the wild but this would only be at breeding sites. I found a red tailed hawk once and i called the rspca and they got in touch with a falconer they use to come and pick it up, hope this info helps.
Cheers
steve

hi boldon buzzard
i think the physical contact proves the bird is an escaped bird, it wasnt attacking you it just saw you as a source of food. The owl was probably trying to get on your arm to be fed, i know eagle owls can attack humans in the wild but this would only be at breeding sites. I found a red tailed hawk once and i called the rspca and they got in touch with a falconer they use to come and pick it up, hope this info helps.
Cheers
steve

It's interesting to note the two attacks which made contact were from behind.Talon punctures im my coat, scratches with the odd tear.The two frontal attacks didn't make contact at all. Story of my life I suppose!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back