• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Indian Birding Locations (1 Viewer)

Went to India for 7 weeks last Jan - Feb, birding well known locations such as Corbett, Mongoli Valley, Sat Tal, Bharatpur and the Thar Desert and saw lots of good birds. I have got 3 weeks this Feb and plan to return to India, I am travelling alone and not through any tour company, like last year. This makes visiting the north-east states difficult? However I would like to see some of the birds I missed out on last year: green / purple cochoa, grandala, cutia, fire-tailed myzonis ! and the trickier pheasants. I reckon I can get some of these in the north-west Himalayas?

Has anyone got any ideas on areas to try for these species that are fairly accessible to the independent birder. Or is reluctantly signing up to a organised trip the only way.

I believe to get those species you need to visit Arunachal Pradesh. You will need some sort of special permit which is near impossible to get unless you are with a group.

You should be able to most of these in the Lava/Singhalila region of West Bengal/Sikkim as well. Can do it independently as well, without spending big bucks.

I am heading there in 2 weeks and a Fire-Tailed Myzornis is *very* high on my list - and I may be back in mid-Feb to do some hiking in the Singhalila region. Feel free to PM me in early Feb for a fresh update on the region.

Vandit

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back