• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Inner Marsh Farm - from the horse's mouth (3 Viewers)

Two Pec Sands were a good find! Lying snoozing in the garden when I got the call. Apparantely a silted-up sluice on the other side of the railway embankment has now been cleared allowing a lower water level to be maintained. IMF has had a good run of waders recently - as well as the Pecs theres been the two Wood & Curlew Sandpipers. All we need now is Anglesey's Baird's to make an appearance. Although with Baird's claimed annually it'll be a brave person who rings Colin & gets him out of bed!!!;)

Attachments

• Pec Sand3 130909.jpg
    Pec Sand3 130909.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 127
  • Pec Sand6 130909.jpg
    Pec Sand6 130909.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 119
2 Pec Sands have put in an appearance today briefly before flying off to the marsh (or did they land on No1?) along with a Curlew Sandpiper.

Spotted Flycatcher seen along path to hide.

Some photos from Friday - also present Hobby, 11+ Greenshank, 2 Green Sand but missed the PC's

Attachments

• aKICX6538.jpg
    aKICX6538.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 77
  • aKICX6855.jpg
    aKICX6855.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 63
  • aKICX6886.jpg
    aKICX6886.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 53
  • aKICX6589.jpg
    aKICX6589.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 60
PS - if ever a hide needed a sign saying "keep your voices down, don't point your hand or long lens out of the hide and shuffle up to make room for newcomers" this is it - great reserve but some really dodgy practices!

Had my first visit on saturday, arrived at neston and went down to parkgate as i was on my bike and travelling light, just bins and camera. High tide didn't produce much, plenty of Little Egrets and a pair of Peregrines, so cycled up through the country park, ended up going down marshlands road and past the Harp inn to Burton Marsh, having no idea where i was, so had a bit of a wander across the marsh where i found more Wheatears than you could shake a very big stick at:king: and some beautifully summer plumaged Stonechats and a couple of marauding Buzzards, excellent place that i will return to for another look, a pity i had to retrace my steps or get shot at;) was just about to give up when i spotted the RSPB sign halfway up the hill so popped in for an hour or so.
Next time i'll bring my scope and stay a little longer, if i can get a seat:-O, nice to hear that big plans are in the offing to improve the place, another reserve to visit along with brockholes and hesketh out marsh, can only be a good thing, keep up the regular reports and thanks for all the info

Frank

With all these complaints about lack of seats I am thinking of suggesting that we make the walk to the hide a little longer....

With all these complaints about lack of seats I am thinking of suggesting that we make the walk to the hide a little longer....

Lateral thinking. Love it!:t:

Maybe a big sign above the door as seen at other reserves along the lines of 'the birds will come closer if you keep quiet and don't wave your arms out the viewing slots'.

Last edited:
It was much more fun when there was no hide and you had to get a car up onto the railway line from behind the headquarters of the rifle range :eek:)

Unfortunately, unlike the Tardis our hide does bend the constrainst of the space-time continuum and of course abides all current laws of physics.

That's the sort of narrow minded thinking that puts people off organised reserves!

JB - Ruff, Curlew Sand, Snipe & B-t Godwit...the Ruff were causing havoc with those looking for Pec Sands - especially the smaller Reeves....

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back