• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insect ID's (1 Viewer)

Not a house fly, which are rarely seen in UK now, and not even that family. Probably an Anthomyiidae fly, females rarely identifiable.

The wasp looks like Vespula germanica.

Hi. I think the wasp is a Vespula vulgaris, the fly looks like one of the flesh flies (Sacrophagidae)?
Having looked at photo on computer now wasp indeed looks more like vulgaris, although black post-genal mark very unclear.
Can you explain why you think Sarcophagidae rather than Anthomyiidae ?

Having looked at photo on computer now wasp indeed looks more like vulgaris, although black post-genal mark very unclear.
Can you explain why you think Sarcophagidae rather than Anthomyiidae ?
Hi. Looking at it again, I agree with you, Anthomyiidae looks like the right family!..... Can't pin down the species though! I think the wasp is OK for a vulgaris though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back