• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Insect shortage? (1 Viewer)

Silvershark

Is it me or does there seem to be a shortage of insects right now? We had a pair of swallows nesting in the shed but it looks as if their nest has now been abandoned and I've seen what I think is one of the pair trying to fly into the woodland bit for food.

There are normally loads of midges around but there are very few of them right now and there just doesn't seem to be many insects at all. The swallows have been flying so close when I'm walking over the field for insects that I kick up.

The swifts have just about completely disappeared and there was only a few of them to start off with and I haven't seen the house martins either. There are only around half a dozen swallows left and watched one almost crash into the ground it was flying so close to the grass (I think it made a grab for something it saw in the grass and nearly ended up going head over heels).

Hi Kat,good to hear from you again!

No problems with insects here as my Martins have almost raised one brood already but butterfly numbers are well down almost non exhistant!!

It's just not been warm enough has it?

Hope things improve for you and the Swallows!

Seems ok in Leeds, maybe the weather is a problem? A couple of times this week there have been swifts and house martins feeding around the large trees at work. The local swallows are shooting around as usual too.

There are plenty of swallows, swifts and house martins around here, Kat, so I guess that there are plenty of insects too. A couple of evenings this week they have been flying very low when the weather is poor and tonight there's no sign at all...but then it is raining!

Seems ok in Leeds, maybe the weather is a problem? A couple of times this week there have been swifts and house martins feeding around the large trees at work. The local swallows are shooting around as usual too.

Weather could be an issue. As Wendy says, low-flying swallows is a fairly sure sign of impending rain. Whether that's an old-wives tale I dunno, but if you think of the science of it, that kind of makes sense.

For you swallows and swifts sake, I hope its not an ongoing shortage.
All the best,

Lots of insects here, especially in the silver birch. Yesterday I counted 19 blue tits zapping all over the branches, feeding.

Definite shortage of Butterflies and Ladybirds here in my garden, strangely not many Garden Spiders either. Swallows and Swifts still around, but not in huge numbers though, so could be a lack of insects 'on high' maybe.

Well the nest has since been partially pulled down. Whether a rat or something got up there I don't know...

It could just be they aren't a good pair, the pair that attempted to nest there last year also ended up getting no where and I have to say the male was far from having nice long streamers (saw a gorgeous male the other day with what have to have been the longest streamers I've ever seen on a swallow lol)

There seems to be more swallows away from the town though so maybe most are choising to nest in better locations elsewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back