• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ireland, South Coast. Jan 2022 (1 Viewer)

Hello,
not a confident answer, but one for me to get help.

I hope for Jane Turner, Grahame Wallbridge and other experienced members to jump in. And maybe for Aeshna, Ev4dawin and Butty to take a closer look at this again. As always no offense, and I would like to learn if this bird can aged as an aduld bird with confidence or better leaved unaged.

My question:
Is this Greenfinch a 1 winter=2 cy bird by
  • quite worn greater coverts
  • and do I see a moult contrast in the greater coverts?
Thanks!

Is this Greenfinch a 1 winter=2 cy bird by . . .
Pass! But I think key point for the OP is that this isn't a juvenile because:
  • Juv has more-contrasting streaks, above and below, and anyway...
  • There aren't any juvs to be seen now because juvs will (I assume) all have moulted months ago (in late summer/autumn) into 1st-year/1st-adult plumage which looks extremely like older-adult plumage.

Greenfinch is one of those relatively few species in the region which are known to be able to breed almost year round?

Meaning that an unusual age of bird entirely possible? (And I completely pass on ageing it lol, although it doesn't quite look like a normal fresh adult to me. Possibly just the photograph/me.)

Last edited:
Hello,
not a confident answer, but one for me to get help.

I hope for Jane Turner, Grahame Wallbridge and other experienced members to jump in. And maybe for Aeshna, Ev4dawin and Butty to take a closer look at this again. As always no offense, and I would like to learn if this bird can aged as an aduld bird with confidence or better leaved unaged.

My question:
Is this Greenfinch a 1 winter=2 cy bird by
  • quite worn greater coverts
  • and do I see a moult contrast in the greater coverts?
Thanks!
Alexander: you can also check the shape of the tail feathers (pointed) that is seen in the photo against http://blascozumeta.com/wp-content/uploads/aves-aragon/passeriformes/430.chlorischloris.pdf description of 2cy (p. 2) (Google translates the paragraph into english quite well, with a minor mistake)

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back