• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a Carolina Wren (1 Viewer)

LifeIsGood2

Show-Me Missouri
I am in East Central Missouri - actually a little bit south - Franklin County to be more exact. New to birding and realized as I was reviewing my photos that I captured a photo of a wren. I have never identified a wren. Is this a Carolina Wren?

Attachments

• Wren.jpg
    Wren.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 66
About 6 weeks ago, I had a Carolina Wren singing at sunrise here in northern Indiana, at a temperature of -12 F! I was astonished, as I thought cold temps were very hard on this species.

They're pretty hardy, for a Wren. They live around here (southern Ontario) all year, and our climate is probably (on average) worse than yours. I think the singing is in response to increased day length, irrespective of the temperature. (Our local Cardinals do that too.)

Hello all,

I saw one, yesterday, in New York's Central Park. It has been hanging around the feeders, in the coldest of weather. It will even approach people and eat out of their hands.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Pretty hardy and also pretty intelligent. A few weeks ago during some particularly cold weather here in Pennsylvania I was out for a hike in the late afternoon. I found myself being scolded by a Carolina Wren and I paused to check it out. When I stopped another wren flushed from the side of the trail, just feet from me. Then another and another. Five wrens in all had flushed from their roosting spot just off the trail. They were all under a spruce branch that had been downed in a previous storm that was now covered in a fresh layer of snow. It was like a tiny igloo with built in perches. I moved on to allow them to regroup for the cold night ahead

I knew that they were quite adept at finding cosy places to spend the night, but I had no idea that they would share a communal roost like this.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back