• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is this a young great tit? Central Scotland. (1 Viewer)

TheFifeFlyer

Scotland
Saw this nashing away at the peanuts just now. I`m not sure if it`s a yellow or a great tit?

Knowing me it`ll be neither :)

I`ve only ever seen blues regularly and a goldfinch just once, so I think this may be a 1st for my garden.

TIA
Andy

Attachments

• DSC_8652.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 114
  • DSC_8653.JPG
    9.8 MB · Views: 34
  • DSC_8657.JPG
    9.4 MB · Views: 29
Thanks guys.

Damn......I thought it was a 1st :)

Hopefully it`s one of the family that fledged a month ago from the box close to that feeder.

Hi Andy

It's a Juvenile Blue Tit.

You can see the blue cap on his head amongst other things.

(What's a Yellow Tit?) ;)
haha just goes to show what I know.

I was sure we had a yellow tit in this country, but further searching says not unless I live in Taiwan :)

Who was it that said "no such thing as a dumb question" :)

haha just goes to show what I know.

I was sure we had a yellow tit in this country, but further searching says not unless I live in Taiwan :)

Who was it that said "no such thing as a dumb question" :)
LOL You'd have had the twitchers queuing up Andy!! Mind you could've raised a fortune for your favourite charity!!!

Can anyone advise if it`s normal for the birds to stop frequenting your garden completely?

I have a couple of feeders and all year have had sometimes 50 starlings at one time plus the usual blue tits, sparrows etc. Even the pigeons don`t come near now.

I can`t understand why. This was in June but seen a lot more.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 25
Much the same here Andy. They go off into the wider countryside just now, as there's plenty of food for them.

They'll be back before too long and will eat you out of house and home all through the winter LOL

And as if by magic, they`re all back again. And some. My missus is struggling to keep them all fed now :)

I`ve had a robin frequent the garden for a few winters now but what appears to be a juvenile has turned up. I`ve seen his/her breast get redder in the last 2 weeks as it was quite pale when I 1st saw it. Unless they lose their colour for the summer of course.

There, told you not to fret, didn't I!:)

Here's a picture of a youngster I took back in the summer, you can see they're quite spotty, with very faded orange around the breast and head. I can't find a younger one at the moment.

Thanks Delia.

Speaking to my wife about this and she tells me she took some shots a few weeks ago when I was at work.

I think it`s definately a young robin but I also think she may have got a young thrush too. (3rd pic) They are quite scarce in my garden for some reason.
4th pic is from last winter.

Attachments

• DSC_8740.JPG
    11.3 MB · Views: 14
  • DSC_8741.JPG
    DSC_8741.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
  • DSC_8735.JPG
    10.5 MB · Views: 19
  • Robin in winter.jpeg.jpg
    Robin in winter.jpeg.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back