• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Isle of Wight - Buzzard or Juv. Sea Eagle (1 Viewer)

alahol2

Hi all
Saw this guy sitting on a post in the Newtown River estuary. We were passing so never saw him fly. We know that White tailed sea eagles have been released on the Island so just wondered if this was maybe a juvenile?

Cheers all.

Attachments

• 2020-07-14-DSC03512.JPG
    2020-07-14-DSC03512.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 188
Oh nice one what a wonderful find for you.

Hi Alahol and welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and moderators. I'm sure you will enjoy it here

Very many thanks folks. We've had tantalising glimpses of, presumably, this bird disappearing over a woodland and off in the distance. It was brilliant to see him(/her?) up close, it was just difficult to believe our luck so thought we'd better check.
Again thanks for the info and the welcome.
Cheers

Yes welcome alahol2....you’ve certainly erne’d it. ;)

I have been doing crossword puzzles for decades, and erne (had sometimes ern) is a common bit of "crosswordese" junk used to fill grids. But I have never seen anyone use the term out of the crossword context. Now I have! Is a legit term across the pond?

Andy

I have been doing crossword puzzles for decades, and erne (had sometimes ern) is a common bit of "crosswordese" junk used to fill grids. But I have never seen anyone use the term out of the crossword context. Now I have! Is a legit term across the pond?

Andy

Definition of erne- eagle especially: a long-winged sea eagle (Haliaetus albicilla) with a short white wedge shaped-tail.

Just to add, it's I believe a 19th Century term that was used at the time and carried into the 20th century), often used in UK crosswords.:t:

Cheers

Last edited:
Definition of erne- eagle especially: a long-winged sea eagle (Haliaetus albicilla) with a short white wedge shaped-tail.

Just to add, it's I believe a 19th Century term that was used at the time and carried into the 20th century), often used in UK crosswords.:t:

Cheers

It’s older than the 19th Century. There’s a place near St Abbs Head in Borders called Ernescleugh which means the “narrow valley of the (sea) Eagle”. It opens out to the North Sea.

David

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back