• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ISRAEL, 19-26 September 2010 (1 Viewer)

Hi Milda, Did you not go to the 'new' flooded area to the north of the main Hula reserve? This area is much more accessible than the reserve itself. Google Earth shows the new area well. I say it's new but I think it was reflooded about 8 years ago.

John.

Hi Milda, Did you not go to the 'new' flooded area to the north of the main Hula reserve? This area is much more accessible than the reserve itself. Google Earth shows the new area well. I say it's new but I think it was reflooded about 8 years ago.

Hi John,

Er... no we didn't... hm actually I didn't know about such... well, we could do it next time ;)

Gamla Nature Reserve (day 8)

In the morning I was sitting for a while outside, no signs of the predawn sounds, just nice two Egyptian Mongooses minced beside. We walked around the area dense with bushes and trees where nice Palestine Sunbirds were hovering and other common birds such as Laughing Dove, Common Bulbul and Greenfinch were seen.

It was the last our day in Israel and on the way back to Tel-Aviv we chose the mountainous road leading along the Syria border. The thick fog was everywhere and sometimes we barely could see the road before our car. No chances for raptors migration. On the way we saw European Bee-eaters on the wires, some Greenfinches and flock of Corn Buntings. An unidentified quite big falcon disappeared in the fog. Our destination was Gamla Nature Reserve which is located in the centre of the Golant Heihts. The reserve is the famous place of the highest waterfall in Israel and the biggest population of breeding raptors. We wandered couple of hours around the reserve admiring deep canyon and steep cliffs rising above it. Some Grifon Vultures were soaring, one Lesser-spotted Eagle glided and Kestrel hovered above. In the bushes Graceful Prinia was chasing Sardinian Warbler and Agama Lizard sunbathed on the wall on the ancient Byzantine Church. We walked along the Dolemen Trail via the rocky field with scarce bushes, trees and scorched remains of different plants. Short-toed Eagle perched on a tree with bright orange eye visible from a distant. At the end of the trail a group of tall trees was full of Goldfinches and Greenfinches. Impressive view overlooking of the Gamla Waterfall.

Next stop was at the Acre city famous for the Templars Tunnels. The first tunnel was discovered by chance after the complaint about some problems of a sewer from a woman living in apartment above the tunnel. Those who came to check found the Templar Quarter’s system of subterranean tunnels. Not many birds we saw there though. Four Turnstones were seen on the rocks on the Mediterranean Sea coast and single Sandwich Tern flew above. After the visit of the bazaar and look at the Arab mosque we departed.

Getting close to Tel Aviv we decided last time to have a swim in the Mediterranean Sea. Better we wouldn’t … We stopped somewhere near Natanya. Didn’t want to waste money for the parking, we chose a roadside where some other cars were parked, left our car and strolled to the sea. After the last swim and romantic sunset we returned to the car.

We were almost leaving when Gintaras from the back seat started to murmur “Where is my backpack? I can’t find my backpack, all my documents and money are there…” After failing to see it inside the car I jumped out to check the boot. Opened it and… oh my God! The sight what I saw stroke me…. DAMN!!!! (that was the kindest word which I said amongst the others…) It was empty!!! We were burgled. Our entire luggage was stolen. I leaned and at the end of the boot I saw my scope, my precious Kowa Prominar lied there untouched. Inexpressible relief came. Moreover, our optics bag with all cameras and lenses and our second small scope was inside the car and untouched as well! We lost all our closes and Gintaras’s backpack with all his documents and credit cards. Actually Gintaras lost everything except binoculars, which were on his neck. Fortunately I am such a person, who stubbornly carries with me everywhere my binoculars and small bag where I keep our passports and small wallet which almost never has any cash but credit cards. I felt exploding inside from the anger that I lost all my clothes. And there was a funny thing – we all were wearing shorts, T-shirts, sandals and Laimis was with cowboy hat. All sweat and little bit dirty after whole day wander in the heat. In Lithuania it wasn’t so warm at that time, just +16 C and rain. But there were no time for mournings. We had a big problem – Gintaras’s all documents were stolen, including passport. Then it was about 6 pm what meant that we had 13 hours till our flight and it was impossible without a passport. And I couldn’t think how we should leave Gintaras in Israel alone. I realized if we won’t operate quickly – no chances to return… actually there were not so many chances anyway… as then it was Sunday evening and of course no hope that Lithuanian embassy will work. And of course it didn’t. I knew that just sanity and good organization would help in such case and started to lead “mission impossible”.

Mission impossible

First of all I almost shouted on Gintaras telling him to contact banks in Vilnius and to bloke all credit cards. After 15 min. it was done. Secondly we needed police to register the crime. It wasn’t so easy as police refused to come to our place because of traffic jam and we had to go to Natanya to look for it and it wasn’t so easy. After some 45 minutes we were in the police station and after some 15 minutes kind policeman registered our event. All this time we were non stop connecting Lithuania and unsuccessfully trying to get any contacts of anybody from Lithuanian embassy. We got some phone numbers but all were wrong and only after we had left the police station the number of one person who might know someone from embassy arrived. After some minutes we received the number of the adviser of ambassador. Gintaras called and spoke with the woman. I had a hope that his name would help us as he is one of the best and famous theatre directors in Lithuania. Unfortunately it didn’t. After some attempts to persuade the woman from embassy to help us he gave up and passed me the phone. I took it and tried to speak politely and kindly as only I could, but actually I was boiling inside. I introduced myself and our situation once more and then conversation followed something like that:

“Could you please assist us in this unpleasant situation and help to get a temporary passport for Gintaras?” I asked humble.
“Yes, please come tomorrow to our office at 8.30 am and we will do whatever we could”- the answer came. It was exactly that what I expected, but I didn’t give up.
“Well I know this, but it is not good for us as our flight is at 7 am and we need passport today.” And I dared to ask such a question: “What obstacles do not let you to make this passport today?”. Pause and the answer came:
“We have to see person who needs passport, 2 his photos and we need another person who could confirm his identity”
“It’s not a problem, you have all necessary. I’ll bring everything within 2 hours to your office. I’ll bring Gintaras and 2 his photos, and I myself will confirm his identity and I have all my documents”.
“You won’t be able to get 2 photos”
“Oh, don’t worry and just believe me, I will. I will bring 2 photos.”
“We need to contact Vilnius, with Migration Department and confirm his identity as well”. As I’m working with it almost every day in my work I know very well how to confirm identity and I offered:
“You could contact with Interpol instead. Interpol works 24 hours per day all over the world.” But the cold answer came:
“We don’t work with Interpol, we work only with Migration Department and to contact it is possible only tomorrow.” But I’m quite stubborn girl and I didn’t give up:
“Ok no problem, I’ll contact Migration Department and arrange all necessary confirmation. Just please, let us came and bring all what you need.” But actually I had no idea how to do it, how I could contact Migration Department. If I would be in Vilnius, it would be possible, but here in Israel… at 10 pm on Sunday… probably no chances. Then the pause prolonged and the answer followed:
“Could you please repeat who are you and where do you work?” I repeated everything once more, pause again and then:
“Ok, wait some minutes. I’ll call to ambassador to consult and get his permission if possible”. My heart jumped and I just managed to murmur:
“Thank you Ma’am, I’ll be waiting” and I hang up. After long 3 minutes I received the call:
“After 2 hours we will be waiting you with Mr. Gintaras and with 2 photos in the office of embassy of the Republic of Lithuania”. I couldn’t believe what I heard and what I did, I just couldn’t believe it! But there was no time for joy. We had to run as crazy. Urgent call to my sister with strict instructions:
“Find a place where we could take 2 photos or find a printer which could print these photos. Find the address of the office of LT embassy. We will come after 20 minutes, please be ready then to run with us”. And we ran to Tel-Aviv, we ran like hell. Picked up my sister, went to the big supermarket, from second attempt found where to make photos and to the embassy. We arrived after 2 hours and the lady with a bodyguard and the office girl were waiting for us. My documents were checked, we were greeted and then everything was smoothly. We filled some forms and after 30 minutes Gintaras had a new temporary passport just for 5 EUR. Many thanks to all staff of embassy, they did great job! And then we all couldn’t believe that we succeeded! It was unbelievable! Mission impossible was performed!

Spent our last evening in Israel in nice restaurant with plenty delicious food where celebrated our trip and the end of it. Then it was 1 am and we had just 3 hours for sleep. At 5 am we went to the airport, some amusement from the airport staff if is it enough for us just one small case and optic’s bag but after explanation they all were sorry about what happened with us. Again flight via Kiev followed and our plane landed in rainy Vilnius, just +16 C there and our company suntanned with shorts, t-shirts and cowboy hat appeared from the aeroplane…

Last edited:
Sorry your trip ended with a sad incident - but wow sounds like you could ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, ANYTIME - awesome.

A very enjoyable report Miilda - great stuff!

Cheers

Mike

Thanks for nice words :) It's my first ever report, quite struggled to write it, as English isn't my native language. So, sorry if there are any mistakes...

I take it they broke the windows?

No, they broke the lock of the boot, luckily not window.

Tomorrow leaving to another adventure, even more further to the South!!! :king:

Yeah incidents like this always put a sad feel to the holiday - but remember there are thieves everywhere.

A great trip report and very impressive photography. Glad it all worked out ok in the end.

Beautiful report and loved the pictures,,sorry about the losr passport..i hope one day i can visit Isreal and do some birding..oh i will be the only turbened Singh in Isreal.:-O:-O:-O...lol..regrds...hope you will uploadsome pictures in the gallery for us to viewThanks for a real good report.:t:B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back