• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

This Small Dusty Wave came into my house on saturday, it's a new species for me, and only the second for VC107

Dean

Attachments

• 026.jpg
    026.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 103
Garden MV trapping (Suffolk) over the weekend produced two charismatic personal firsts: Scarce Silver-lines and Pebble Prominent. A lone Elephant Hawk-moth continues the run of singles of this species over the last month, whilst the second Diamond-back Moth of the year was discovered amongst the increasing horde of grass veneers.
Cheers, Rob

Attachments

• 140706-6338.jpg
    140706-6338.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 92
Very cool last night, thus I dithered as to whether to run the MV, finally decided to switch on. First thing this am I found an August Thorn on the trap rim, however the trap was empty! until I turned over the last piece of egg box...when this amazing emergent male Phoenix (lifer) morphed into view! thought I'd share....Cheers

Attachments

• Phoenix 2. July 9th '14 for the web.jpg
    Phoenix 2. July 9th '14 for the web.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 122
Just popped out to the trap after full-time on the football when a large moth "buzzed" me, landed briefly on the trap and revealed a broad blue band on the hindwing!! Only problem is, looking at the literature, if it was a Clifden Nonpareil it's too early. Hope it returns......

It couldn't have been anything else could it? The only other British moth with blue on the hindwing is the Eyed Hawkmoth and that could never be described as a 'band'.

Much lower down the interest levels, I found my first Agapeta hamana for 4 years at the local country park.

Just popped out to the trap after full-time on the football when a large moth "buzzed" me, landed briefly on the trap and revealed a broad blue band on the hindwing!! Only problem is, looking at the literature, if it was a Clifden Nonpareil it's too early. Hope it returns......

Presumably a month early...is possible?

Cheers

Circa twenty species last night, highlights being my 2nd Phoenix and Suspected! However more remarkable?...three more Diaphania perspectalis, bringing my total for the month so far to 9! Presumably the ''epicentre'' for this intriguing species is relatively close. To date...my current total is double that of last year, am surprised that it hasn't been reported elsewhere, I assume that ''Moth-ers'' in SW Essex are kinda few and far between?

Cheers

Attachments

• DP side on..jpg
    DP side on..jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 42
  • DP rear three quarter..jpg
    DP rear three quarter..jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 58
I think diaphania perspectalis was found last year here in Hampshire for the first time, but nowhere near my trap.
Engrailed, Tinea trinotella and Grapholita janthinana were all new for me last night.

Dave W

Sadly it was a no-show in the morning. I'm sure it must have been a Clifden, but it was such an unsatisfactory view I'm loath to count it.

Stuff that had the decency to stick around included September and Early Thorns, two Dwarf Cream Waves, Miller and Bird's Wing amongst 47 moths of 25 sps.

Just out of interest, I always show combined macro and micro numbers on the basis they are all "moths". I also only count those I've ID'ed - unless I have enough time (usually at the weekend) I sometimes let a few micros go without attempting IDs. Does everyone else do similar, or should I change my approach?

I thinks it's a bit of a mix, but people seem to make that clear - ie 60 macros of 25 spp and 15 micros of 8 spp.

I keep a Macro list, a Micro list and a combined list. I only keep yearlists for Macros though...

I think diaphania perspectalis was found last year here in Hampshire for the first time, but nowhere near my trap.
Engrailed, Tinea trinotella and Grapholita janthinana were all new for me last night.
Dave W

A correction to my previous post regarding diaphania perspectalis, last year I only recorded three! dates being 19th,30th and 31st July. Thus so far a 300% increase before my first occurrence last year. The Hampshire record possibly being the most Westerly? Either way the spread of this "import" via Box tree imports, has become rather interesting, certainly one that I shall follow.

Cheers

It is considered a 'pest' species isn't it? I caught an Oak Processionary in my old house (Bromley) but didn't spread it around too widely in case the council came out and sprayed my Oak tree to death!

A correction to my previous post regarding diaphania perspectalis, last year I only recorded three! dates being 19th,30th and 31st July. Thus so far a 300% increase before my first occurrence last year. The Hampshire record possibly being the most Westerly? Either way the spread of this "import" via Box tree imports, has become rather interesting, certainly one that I shall follow.

Cheers

Hi Ken

I've been following this topic, mainly because I would often get it at work for identification (since retired). I'd be interested to know where in London you are based (PM me if you prefer).
There's a fact sheet for this invasive species which gives details of what one is supposed to do to report sightings: http://www.fera.defra.gov.uk/plants/publications/documents/factsheets/boxTreeCaterpillar.pdf
There do seem to be local hotspots, often based around nurseries (e.g. in Surrey), but invasives often spread quite slowly - unless aided by man.
Best wishes
Martin

Yes, just to expand on my previous post, there was apparently a large infestation of diaphania perspectalis at Longstock Nurseries in central Hampshire and subsequently a number of specimens of unknown provenance found in the wild.

Dave W

At Last! A new garden record, only my 5th new macro this year: a shark, taking my garden macro total to 283 sp. Other new ones this year were pine beauty, mother shipton, burnet companion and chocolate tip.
Cheers,
Jono

Attachments

• DSC_0022.JPG
    DSC_0022.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 31
Three NFY's last night were:
Smoky Wainscot
Rustic
Small Ranunculus (pic)

Also a couple of micros thanks to the ID thread.

Attachments

• Small Ranunculus 20140711.JPG
    Small Ranunculus 20140711.JPG
    357.3 KB · Views: 31
First session for a week last night, not massive numbers but a few lifers thrown in. To add to the task this morning I had invited a neighbour round to witness the catch as he had taken an interest the other day. He seemed to enjoy the experience and maybe back :t:. I decided to not count the majority of the micros on this occasion.

Dot Moth are the most numerous with 19, Swallow-Tail 9, Riband Wave 6, Scalloped Oak 5 and surprisingly for me the Heart & Dart 3 as well as Large Yellow Underwing 3 were very low in numbers.

Gothic and Dun-bar both new for year, with Bird-Cherry Ermine, Small Fan-Footed Wave x3, Water Vaneer and Yponomeuta sp being lifers.

As always a few random images from this mornings catch.

Attachments

• Small-Pheonix.jpg
    Small-Pheonix.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 43
  • Dunbar.jpg
    Dunbar.jpg
    393.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Gothic.jpg
    Gothic.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 24
  • Yponomeuta-sp.jpg
    Yponomeuta-sp.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Argyresthia-goedartella.jpg
    Argyresthia-goedartella.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back