• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

July Moths (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,
Last year was a none starter for me as far a moth trapping went but this year I amm able to trap regularly both at home and at work. It amazes me that after 5 years `i am still getting new ones. I can usually work out what they are with the help of my books but this one I can't seem to find. Does anyone have any idea. It is very small.

Attachments

• sm1.jpg
    sm1.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 46
Hi Sourton. I've been trapping since 2005 and still get stuck frequently. Your moth is a Scoparid sp and therefore amongst the trickiest of micros to ID. Some of the genuine experts on here like David, Martin and Paul might be able to sort it out for you.

Thanks Andy. To be honest I usually ignore the mico's as they are difficult to identify but as I have had a few of these lately I thought I would try to find out what it is. Hopefully one of the guys you mentioned will be able to help.

A bumper catch a few nights ago, not particularly a vast species count but well over 350 individuals.

110 Large Yellow Underwings won hands down, 73 Dark Arches, 29 Riband Wave..... did manage a few lifers too with Acrobasis advenella, 2 x Clouded Border, Lesser Swallow Prominent and a deceased White Satin Moth. First of the year for Silver Y and it was equally nice to get 5 x Poplar Hawk-moth. I have stopped counting Grass Vaneers and Scoparia sp as I would be at it all day.

A few images from the catch including a lovey Ypsolopha dentella and a Spiked Shield Bug (which may be the cause of the Deceased White Satin Moth).

Dave

Attachments

• LSP.jpg
    LSP.jpg
    877 KB · Views: 38
  • Lesser-Broad-Bordered-Yellow-Underwing.jpg
    Lesser-Broad-Bordered-Yellow-Underwing.jpg
    833.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Ypsolopha-dentella.jpg
    Ypsolopha-dentella.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 34
  • Spiked Shield Bug.jpg
    Spiked Shield Bug.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 34
Hi everyone,
Last year was a none starter for me as far a moth trapping went but this year I amm able to trap regularly both at home and at work. It amazes me that after 5 years `i am still getting new ones. I can usually work out what they are with the help of my books but this one I can't seem to find. Does anyone have any idea. It is very small.

I normally avoid the scops but suspect this might be Dipleurina lacustrata (or whatever it's called now!)

David

Eudonia lacustrata, according to Sterling and Parsons, 'Field Guide to the Micro Moths of Great Briatain and Ireland'.

Cheers,

Thomas

A few images from the catch including a lovey Ypsolopha dentella and a Spiked Shield Bug (which may be the cause of the Deceased White Satin Moth).

Dave

Your shieldbug is a forest bug, Pentatoma rufipes. Seems this is also called red-legged shieldbug now. No doubt some clever taxonomist changed that name to make things clearer. Just to be clear, it's a variable species that doesn't always have red legs.
:smoke:

Last edited:
An interesting and productive few nights:

NFG: Dark-Barred Twin-Spot Carpet
Ear Moth

Also 4 lifers :Acleris laterana
Large Tabby
Parornix anglicella
Argyrestria bonnetella + 3rd garden record of Blastobasis rebeli

Dave W

Really enjoying my recently revived interest in Moths - had 65 species (macro and micro - many thanks to those on the ID forum!) coming to the bathroom light over the last month. Not a great total but without a MV trap and within 2 miles of the City centre, I'm pretty pleased! Some shots of my favourites from the last few nights:

1. The Herald
2. The Phoenix
3. Clouded Border

Attachments

• IMG_1485.JPG
    IMG_1485.JPG
    176.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1469.JPG
    IMG_1469.JPG
    353.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1442.JPG
    IMG_1442.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 30
Really enjoying having a new garden to trap in. I dont trap in it every night, but 10 nights since late June have got 130 (100 macro, not brilliant on the micros), or so species to the 15W actinic I run. Personal highlights have been Wood Carpet (my second), Dark Spinach (2nd again), & Devon Carpet, which I'd never seen before.
A trip out into the FoD on Thursday night with some other moffers gave us approx. 200 species to 6 traps, and we're still working our way through them. Highlights were, Double line, Small Rufous & Marbled Green. Others new for the year I can remenber were BB Carpet, DM Carpet, Bordered Beauty.

Attachments

• Small Rufous.jpg
    Small Rufous.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Marbled Green.jpg
    Marbled Green.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Double Line.jpg
    Double Line.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 50
Dartford Moths

Some good moths in the garden during the last few days including Dartford's first Grass Emerald for 19 years followed by the 2nd a mile away 3 days later (thanks JH for the info).

Webb's Wainscot last night was our 2nd following one caught last year and was once again excitedly found, potted and identified by my 9 yr old son.

Yarrow Pug was another goodie caught two nights ago.

Iron Prominent is a common enough moth but this was our first.

Cheers,

Andy.

Attachments

• Webb's Wainscot.JPG
    Webb's Wainscot.JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 30
  • Grass Emerald 19-7-14.JPG
    Grass Emerald 19-7-14.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Yarrow Pug 21-7-14.JPG
    Yarrow Pug 21-7-14.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Iron Prominent.JPG
    Iron Prominent.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 30
Not much of interest for me so far this week. A few NFGs and another Small Ranunculus were about the best I have managed. Heading to Dorset for most of August and will be able to run through a trap down there, so hopefully some different moths to look at!

Andy - Are you submitting your records anywhere at the moment? If so, can you let me know Ian Ferguson's current email address please?

Cheers,

Andy M.

Not much of interest for me so far this week. A few NFGs and another Small Ranunculus were about the best I have managed. Heading to Dorset for most of August and will be able to run through a trap down there, so hopefully some different moths to look at!

Andy - Are you submitting your records anywhere at the moment? If so, can you let me know Ian Ferguson's current email address please?

Cheers,

Andy M.

Hi Andy - I think I've got it. I'll have a look.

I'm down in Dorset for part of August - PM me and we'll meet up.

Cheers,

Andy.

Edit: after recording 100+ species for two nights running, there was barely anything in the trap this morning!

Garden Tiger is supposed to be common in Jersey, but I trapped my first last night... well worth the wait.

Very warm and humid last night made for a decent catch - around the 95 species mark.

Attachments

• 038a.JPG
    038a.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 22
Almost got the year-list together with July’s updates but a few things left over from National Moth Night(s) that still need some attention and may add one or two.

A few steps back in July with re-identifications - a Coleophora lutipennella proving to be a Coleophora lusciniaepennella, a Eudonia mercurella proving to be a dark female Eudonia lacustrata and a Valerian Pug proving to be a small plain Grey Pug pegging me back to 579.

But then a few more steps forward with some gendet & other determination results of earlier captures adding Neofaculta ericetella, Dichrorampha plumbana, Pammene argyrana, Pammene albuginana, Pseudoswammerdamia combinella, Coleophora alticolella, Ectodemia albifasciella, Bucculatrix ulmella & Gypsonoma oppressana.

The best haul of the year on Thursday 3rd July on calcareous grassland and adjacent woodland added Coptotriche marginea, Yponomeuta plumbella, Monochroa cytisella, Sophronia semicostella, Archips crataegana, Ptycholomoides aeriferana, Agapeta zoegana, Zeiraphera isertana, Eucosma campoliliana, Gold Triangle, Hypsopygia glaucinalis, Catoptria margaritella, Lilac Beauty, September Thorn, Small Emerald, White Satin, Marbled Green, Slender Brindle, Brown-line Bright Eye, Clay, Lesser Yellow Underwing, Nemapogon clematella, Swammerdamia pyrella, Argyresthia spinosella, Argyresthia bonnetella, Elachista atricomella, Mompha miscella, Acleris ferrugana (presumed), Gypsonoma sociana, Rhodophaea formosa, Acrobasis advenella, Acrobasis suavella, Acrobasis consociella, Agriphila inquinatella, Catoptria pinella, Silky Wainscot and Small Dotted Buff from over 215 species.

Then on Saturday 5th July, Tyntesfield NT added Bird-cherry Ermine, Ypsolopha parenthesella, Agriphila straminella, Assara terebrella, Pyrausta purpuralis and Rivulet amongst about 120 species and some battery-operated actinics the same night in damp grassland and adjacent bird woodland added Helcystogramma rufescens, Pterophorus pentadactyla, Beautiful China-mark, Scallop Shell and Anania crocealis amongst about 60 species.

A pre-work morning trip on 8th July was rewarded with a female Lunar Hornet and Batchedra praeangustana in central Bristol and a Bristol Agonopterix scopariella bred by a friend.

The following weekend was spent at Trent Bridge where the crowd entertained themselves as a result of a dead pitch. But during this period and since, the gardens and a trap in habitat close-by have added a few things with Yponomeuta malinellus (presumed), Limnaecua phragmitella, Broom Moth, Rhyacionia buoliana, Shaded Broad-bar, Dingy Footman, Gothic, Bordered Pug, Slender Pug, Aethes rubigana, Round-winged Muslin, Elachista maculiserella, Northern Spinach, Gatekeeper, Pammene fasciana, Phalonidia affinitana, Lesser Cream Wave, Canary-shouldered Thorn, Lesser Broad-bordered Yellow Underwing, True Lover’s Knot, Old Lady & Dusky Thorn.

A spontaneous decision to give Charmouth a crack with 5 MV’s overnight on Saturday 19th July resulted in a whole host of yearticks from over 150 species including White-point, Chalk Carpet, Dark-barred Twin-spot Carpet, Cloaked Carpet, Sharp-angled Carpet, Pebble Hook-tip, Acleris forskaleeana, Acleris variegana, Chevron, Brussels Lace, Crescent Dart, Ypsolopha dentella, Ypsolopha scabrella, Dark Spinach, Ear Moth, Saltern Ear, Least Yellow Underwing, Plain Golden Y, Bordered Straw, Roeslerstammia erxlebella, Schreksteinella festiniella, Brachmia blandella, Digitivalva pulicariae, Ypsolopha nemorella, Epermania aequidatellus, Elegia similella, Eudonia mercurella, Rusty-dot Pearl, Anarsia spartiella, Argolamprotes micella, Scoparia subpropinquella, Annulet, Dark Spectacle, Pediasia contaminella & Apotomis semifasciana.

With a Southern Grass Emerald having been caught the day before on Portland, after a breakfast roll and a coffee in Weymouth to wake up a touch, the decision was made to take advantage of Martin Cade’s kind hospitality at the observatory and this proved a remarkably good decision for the yearlist with Southern Grass Emerald, Dark Crimson Underwing, Splendid Brocade, Wormwood, Pammene trauniana, Subangled Wave, Helycostogramma lutatella, Pediasia aridella, Eudomis profundana, Monochroa palustrellus, Wall Brown, Metzneria lappella, Kent Black Arches, Oak Eggar, Dusky Sallow, Rosy Rustic, Anerastis lotella, Acrobasis repandana, Clepsis spectrana, Cydia amplana, Four-spotted & Bactra robustana.

Some friends popping into the observatory from Holt Heath overnight added Birch Mocha, Beautiful Brocade, Small Chocolate-tip, Horse Chestnut, Dingy Mocha, Dotted-border Wave, Marsh Oblique-barred, Four-dotted Footman, Aristocelana ericinella, Ancylis apicella, Epinotia brunnichana, Small Grass Emerald and Anacampsis blattariella. Pottering around whilst heading off Portland then added Chalkhill Blue, Cochylis roseana, Aethes tesserana, Chamomile Shark (caterpillar) and Eucosma pupillana - all in a real 12 hour shot in the arm for the totals!

Finally, a mid-week trip to take advantage of some kind hospitality to see an Oak Yellow Underwing in Bexhill-on-sea, Sussex yesterday led also to popping across to a see a friend at Dungeness and a deluge of additions from recent local activity and the remnants from one of his traps – Bedstraw Hawk-moth, Angle-striped Sallow, Jersey Tiger, Langmaid’s Yellow Underwing, Yarrow Pug, Grass Eggar, Sussex Emerald, Depressaria badiella, Agonopterix nervosa, Borkjausenia fuscescens, Cynaeda dentalis, Pediasia fascelinella, Bryotropha senectella, Neofriseria singula, Batia lambdella, Coleophora galbulipennella & Epinotia caprana.

So as at now, the leps year-list stands at 757 – 24 butterflies, 402 macros & 331 micros and the patch leps year-list stands at 519 – 19 butterflies, 296 macros & 204 micros. Four macro ticks in the year so far with Banded Pine Carpet, Aedia funesta, Southern Grass Emerald & Oak Yellow Underwing.

All the best

Last edited:
A good catch last night with a few stand out individuals. Least Yellow Underwing, Chinese Character, Hoary Footman and Purple Thorn are all new to me.

My shifts no dictate that I will have one more session over the weekend and nowt next week.

Dave

Edit: Scarce Footman NOT Hoary

Attachments

• Chinese-Character.jpg
    Chinese-Character.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Purple-Thorn.jpg
    Purple-Thorn.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Least-Yellow-underwing.jpg
    Least-Yellow-underwing.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Hoary-Footman.jpg
    Hoary-Footman.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Last two nights have produced steady interest - 200+ Water Veneer night before last, Canary-shouldered Thorn, "Ling" (Wormwood) Pug, Narrow-winged Pug, Yellow-tail, Birch Mocha etc, plus this rather nice Cloaked Carpet last night (also some unidentifieds, posted on ID thread).

Attachments

• IMG_8511crop.jpg
    IMG_8511crop.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 29
Last night wasn't too bad. 31 species, with one NFG and another couple of NFYs:

Oak Nycteoline - NFG. Interesting that I've haven't caught one in the new garden yet as I don't have any Oak Trees, but I did take a delivery a week or so back of a load of chopped Oak for the wood-burning stove. It was rough and I have spent every evening chopping it up, so perhaps the moth came in on the wood?

NFYs were Sqaure-spot Rustic and Yellow-barred Brindle.

Andy M.

Edit: In fact, I think having a big Oak Tree brought in a lot more species in the old garden. Those with Oak names alone included; Oak Processionary, Oak Tree Pug, Great Oak Beauty and the Oak Nycteoline (now caught in the new garden).

Last edited:
Isn't a mature Oak tree supposed to be the most species-diverse habitat in the UK? Or did I just make that up?

Saturday night in the rain......

Wasn't too bad at all with some very nice moths and a few newbies for my garden. The sun even came out as I went through the catch.

Ruby Tiger, Lempkes Gold Spot, 2 x Gold Spangle, Light Arches, Iron Prominent, Sallow (I think!) Kitten, Herald, September and Purple Thorns were the best of the Macros, also another Copper Underwing agg and a possible Water Carpet that will need IDing.

Agapeta harmana was a lovely new Micro for me.

Will post some pics later

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back