• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Juvenile Redstart...or? Buckingham July 2001 (1 Viewer)

antbird53

redstart ed.jpg
Going through some old photos I came across this which I had identified as a juvenile Common Redstart, based on the red tail. However apart from the reddish looking tail, it does look rather like a juvenile European Robin in shape and stance as well as plumage, plus it was in the middle of the lawn, which seems a bit atypical for Common Redstart. So I began to wonder whether it could in fact be a European Robin with an unusually rufous-looking tail?
Common Redstarts do not nest locally, but I believe juveniles can move quite a distance from where they were raised, once fledged.

No, you are right with a 1cy Commin Redstart.
Please note: extensive clear-cut pale fringes to tertials, lack of an distinct white/pale eye-ring
if juvenile

Again too late: agree with Andrew!
Last sentence is: if juvenile Eurpean Robins have a clear orange tone to the breast, like your bird, it is a pale orange, your bird has a buffish orange tinge.
More, in such ER, there is a distinct boarder between orange breast and whitish belly. Your bird has quite uniform coloured underparts, good for 1 cy Common Redstart

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back