• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Köyceğiz & Mugla area - SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

09/10/23

Yesterday a trip to Yuvarlakçay gave good views of a Krupers Nuthatch , Goshawk and Sombre Tit. Also a Coal Tit a couple of metres away as I ate lunch.

Today a superb Black Kite wheeled (and is still wheeling) across the sky from the hills behind town. Focussing on it also brought a huge number of Alpine Swifts, with smaller swifts, flying above it.

Late news- At least one Otter is frequenting the lake front, now having been seen by myself, wife and a local restauranteur friend over the last 6 weeks. Also a couple in Dalyan on the river.

21/10/23
Badly in need of a catch up but before I forget todays birds so far - all seen from the comfort of Davut cafe. A wildfowl frenzy!

3 Pintail flushed from reedbed by a wading fisherman along with 3 Ruddy Shelduck & 7 Garganey. Still need to find a viewpoint for this hidden bay.
9 Pygmy Cormorants spread along the reedbed front from the beach
1 Green Sandpiper
Distant tern- presumed Whiskered
2 Tufted Ducks
1 Great Crested Grebe

21/10/23
Badly in need of a catch up but before I forget todays birds so far - all seen from the comfort of Davut cafe. A wildfowl frenzy!

3 Pintail flushed from reedbed by a wading fisherman along with 3 Ruddy Shelduck & 7 Garganey. Still need to find a viewpoint for this hidden bay.
9 Pygmy Cormorants spread along the reedbed front from the beach
1 Green Sandpiper
Distant tern- presumed Whiskered
2 Tufted Ducks
1 Great Crested Grebe
Where was that fisherman yesterday 😩

Bit of a catch up.

Fellow Birdforum member - Dave, visited, stayed at the cottage at the end of the grove, and we went birding.
Not a bad day, picking up lots of the local birds, explored a couple of new areas for me and had cracking views of an Otter a few metres away. Aside from Pygmy Cormorants, Red backed Shrikes, Warblers, heard Penduline Tits , several raptor species, Snipe, Green Sandpipers, and a few I’ve forgotten it was nice to see 6 Lapwing flying over flooded farmland at Eskikoy. Oddly reminiscent of my Lancashire childhood.

Since then there’s been a tailing off in migrants though still Alpine Swifts & Red Rumped Swallows passing through. Lots of ChiffChaffs, Lesser Whitethroat, Stonechat, Robins and Spotted Flycatchers around. Also a nice crisp Willow Warbler from the balcony.

28/10/23

Birding on the bike this morning though mammals are taking a lot of my attention these days. Wild Boars and Long eared Hedgehog making lots of noise in the crisp fallen leaves early this morning plus Bats are making the most of the midge flocks , I just need a reliable guide for the detector.
Up to 10 Little Grebes on the lakefront ride, Great Crested Grebes further out and 1 Black necked Grebe off the forest edge same place as last year. Pygmy Cormorants all easily visible wing drying in the reeds that start by the beach. Also here a Ferruginous Duck, hanging on the edge of the reedbeds with a couple of Coots.
Several Common Kingfishers as is usual along the lake and pretty much everywhere else throughout the day.

Next to the river and dump, Green Sandpiper flushed from beneath the bridge with a Little Egret, Purple Heron unusually tolerating a nearby angler and 3 Grey Herons lifting from the marsh behind.
A female Marsh Harrier headed inland along the river, thankfully as then I heard White throated Kingfisher somewhere back over the marsh. Picked it up in the trees that grow on some swampy island out there and then watched it joined by a second bird. Great views of a stunning local speciality. Even got a crap photo.

Meanwhile around me a flock of Spanish Sparrows fed along with ChiffChaff, Reed Warbler, Lesser Whitethroats, a lone Penduline Tit, 3 Siskins , Linnets, lots of Cetti’s Warblers, Stonechats, Crested Larks, a single Meadow Pipit, Grey & White Wagtails, and a flyover Lesser Spotted Woodpecker which are easy to watch here, investigating the reeds for food.
Water Rails were noisy from here and all through the morning along the lake and in the bigger ditches.

Next stop was the now completely flooded meadow behind the dump, no rain recently so presumably a combination of high tide and more flow allowed from the uphill streams. It was heaving with Dragonflies, frogs, midges and Dice Snakes plus a Grass Snake passing by my feet at just over a metre away. On the wetland at the back were 3 Cattle Egret, a Great White Egret, several Grey Herons & Little Egrets, 3 Green Sandpipers and a Ruff.
In the woods behind a Syrian Woodpecker came into view for a few minutes and a Green Woodpecker called further back. Jays by the way are everywhere.

I finished off outside Hamitkoy. More of the same birds , lots of Stonechats, 1 Corn Bunting, 1 Woodlark , a Wood Sandpiper on the small pond, and a Long legged Buzzard over the orange groves. Sparrowhawk and Common Kestrel (not common here really) circling over too.
Again , after some patient waiting and Terrapin false alarms an Otter calmly swam up the same channel as last week.

Two final birds- Goshawk mobbed by 2 Hooded Crows across the fields from the flat, and a dusk Little Owl on the power line out front. Last mammal- Brown rat high in a tree from our friends balcony.

Last edited:
29/10/23

Bike ride via Zaferler road.
Highlights- Wryneck, 1 Slender billed Gull, Common Redstart

A call from Alp at Flora hotel enabled us to meet Çağan Şekercioğlu, world birder, Prof of Ornithology and presenter on Turkish Tv. Lovely chap, and found out some interesting stuff about some of the local mammal life.

Roadkill additions this week- Fox, Lesser Whitethroat, Water Rail (3rd or 4th), Spanish Sparrow (pair)

Chatting with a member of a local bat group and apparently a couple of Egyptian Fruit bats have been feeding on dates from the Kordon trees. A few witnesses have seen them now so hopefully this week I’ll have time to be there at dusk.
The film crew yesterday were able to confirm Caracal presence surprisingly close to my area which is great to know. Also interesting news on Bears, Wolves and Lynx too.

That's a great selection of mammals. I wonder if there could be leopard in the mountains.. 🤔
I’d have liked to have asked them but they were understandably cagey about the Caracal location though Lynx I believe is well known to be local to here. Bear is a wanderer on occasion in this direction and towards Marmaris region and I remember Wolves being cited as being an issue for shepherds somewhere above Fethiye.
Between the mangling of Google translate and my own limited Turkish I saw the University of Muğla had leopard images on a camera trap but I suppose that could be further east rather than Muğla region.

Between the mangling of Google translate and my own limited Turkish I saw the University of Muğla had leopard images on a camera trap but I suppose that could be further east rather than Muğla region.
IUCN map suggests it's extinct in most of Turkey except for the Mardin area and ESE into Iraq, though wary wanderers are always a possibility. It once, relatively recently, extended as far west as İzmir and Canakkale, east along the southern Sea of Marmara coast to Bezirci then inland as far as the mountains surrounding what is now the Sarıyar Dam.
MJB

IUCN map suggests it's extinct in most of Turkey except for the Mardin area and ESE into Iraq, though wary wanderers are always a possibility. It once, relatively recently, extended as far west as İzmir and Canakkale, east along the southern Sea of Marmara coast to Bezirci then inland as far as the mountains surrounding what is now the Sarıyar Dam.
MJB
This year there’s been a few news reports and social media posts (from nature conservancy sources) suggesting the Leopard is much more widespread than previously thought. I don’t know if it’s the translation or not but it comes across that individuals have been filmed much further west than previously considered.
I’ll share any of the links that come up on here next time I see them. Maybe a native Turkish speaker that knows more about the situation would give more clarity?

Highlight of todays ride to Hamitkoy was a Spotted Crake - both as surprised as each other as I skidded off the road (bicycle) to scan a promising area of flood meadow and flushed it from a metre or so. A brief scuttle from behind a large tussock then a quick short flight into the sedge. Another 30 second view after a long wait as it braved the shorter vegetation and disappeared into deeper cover. Late record according to Birds of Turkey.

Otherwise- Lots of Stonechats, Black Redstarts, Grey & White wagtails , House & Spanish Sparrows, ChiffChaffs, finches, several Meadow Pipits , a few Common Starlings, a hunched silhouetted raptor I’ll venture was a Buzzard Sp, Peregrine , 2 Penduline Tits, Green Sandpipers, 3 Egret Sp, Corn Bunting, big flock of Alpine Swifts , Black headed Gull, Pygmy Cormorants, Common Kingfisher, 2 Ravens, Little Grebes, distant duck flock, returning Coots, Syrian & Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and still a Spotted Flycatcher in the garden.

MJB

Not emphatic proof of existence but an interesting development.

02/11/23
Alp from Flora hotel thoughtfully persuaded a couple of visiting carp anglers to generously take me on their hired boat for the day. This meant a 7am start and the opportunity to bird the reedbeds, islands and forest edge from the Eski Köyceğiz side of the lake with a view from the water looking inland.

Highlights only:
Lots of Common Kingfishers throughout the day as expected and 2 White throated Kingfishers just beyond the bow of the boat as we sat moored. WTK were heard throughout the day at both places we moored and going off Dalyanbirders ebird reports this is probably the best area around the lake to find them.

Numbers of Pygmy Cormorants were good throughout the day, beginning with 17 roosting on the forest edge and a later count of 33 around the two islands (Greek chapel ).
A Black necked Grebe in the island bay seemed to be interested in the bleeping of the anglers alarms as it moved ever closer to the boat in alert pose, rarely diving to feed.
2 Whiskered Terns seem late, rising from marker buoys off the town.
1 Ferruginous Duck in the reedbed off Yangı, possibly the same bird as last week relocating to a quieter spot. 4 Coots close by also, a local (illegal) delicacy .
1 Slender billed Gull was seen throughout the day across the more central areas of the lake, plus 14 Black headed gulls.
Singles of Blue Rock Thrush, Great Reed Warbler, Red backed Shrike were on the chapel island.
Water Rails called all around the lake, waders though were restricted to 3 Green Sandpipers and something larger at distance flying towards Hamitkoy.
Great White, Little and 1 Cattle Egret plus several Grey Herons.
Raptors were seen throughout the day, Long legged Buzzard, Sparrowhawks, Marsh Harrier, a Peregrine female and a suspected Merlin along the tree line. A Tawny Owl was visible on the forest edge off Yangı.
Ravens flew regularly towards Eskikoy and back.
A flock of Siskin entertained me at one of the quieter periods and a Water Pipit couldn’t quite settle and popped up regularly at the chapel island. Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers hunted the cane beds at both stops, a rare sighting of Green Woodpecker (commonly heard mind) off the Sweetgum forest was welcome and the other 3 Woodpeckers were seen/heard at distance.
A flock of 12 ducks flew into the light (not in the supernatural sense)towards Eskikoy, ducks being notable here.
Alpine Swifts (20 or so) descended after heavy rain , Crag Martins appeared occasionally and 5 Swifts/Pallid Swifts screamed over head at one point.
Also seen - 1 Otter, several Nile Turtles, Dice Snake, Grass Snake and something with a more Viper like head. Some heavy crashing in the forest reedbed was probably Wild Boar, where apparently they spend the day.
Brief view of what did look like Egyptian Fruit bat on the Kordon. Light was poor and I was still on the boat but size and flight looked right. More work to be done!

Last edited:
08/11/3
Sunset.
Finally saw Barn Owl at Hamitköy,hunting along a field edge just before the village. One was recently disturbed and released from a local farmhouse loft so it was a relief to find.
Also 3 Harriers (1 Marsh , 2 silhouetted ) heading into the reedbed.

09/11/23
Started the day with a flock of 60 winter plumage Common Starlings. I don’t see many here so it was a pleasure to be reminded what handsome birds they are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back