• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

KiaOra all y'all... Here to learn about Texas (1 Viewer)

SMNZ

New Zealand
Hi,
I'm Sarah. l'm in NZ trying to set up a bird feeder for someone who has just moved to Groesbeck in Texas.

Looking to establish a bird enticing garden, and also attract birds with a feeder so he & his indoor cat can watch from the window.

But l don't know where to start! I've read all about Texas birds, but l guess l need to find some Groesbeck birding friends.

If anyone wants to talk NZ birds i'm happy to share what l know. I'm not a hard core birder, but l've loved them since l was a wee girl, l have had feeders wherever l have lived, and have lived all over the country.

I've also lived in England, Northern Ireland & France; and l spent a month in South America - half of which was on the Galapagos islands. My favourite place on earth.

That's me.

Hope you're all safe + vaccinated + well. It's a scary world right now.

SM x

This is Harvey the Tui in mid angry shriek. He lives in the bush around my house. Harvey comes when l do my bad tui call impression, except, unlike the other tui who just show up or not; Harvey shows up and does mating display behaviour. Every time.
He used to be called Pervy Tui, but then we got a new cat who is a scaredy cat and rarely leaves the house. Wilfred the cat is my shadow. And Harvey hates him. As soon as he spots him he yells an angry call and dive bombs him.
He calls his friends to join in.
Very rarely can Wilfy + l sit outside on the deck for more than 10 minutes without Harvey showing up and ruining it.
Harvey (Weinstein) Tui is why we can't have nice things.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220227-015531_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220227-015531_Gallery.jpg
    452.5 KB · Views: 3
Hola Sarah! A warm welcome to Birdforum from all the staff and moderators (y)

Believe you will find more information how to attract birds to your garden in our "Garden Birds, Bird Feeding & Nestboxes"-section of Birdforum here:

Hi Sarah and a warm welcome from me too.

Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see some more of your pictures in the Gallery, and hear more Harvey Tales (Tui's are among my favourite birds, though I've never seen one sadly)

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Hi Sarah and a warm welcome from me too.

Maybe we'll be lucky enough to see some more of your pictures in the Gallery, and hear more Harvey Tales (Tui's are among my favourite birds, though I've never seen one sadly)

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.
Thanks Delia.
Tui's galore here. Any other birds from here you're particularly interested in?
I must admit, I look at birds in the States - animals too - and think we're kinda boring here.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group.

Thanks Delia.
Tui's galore here. Any other birds from here you're particularly interested in?
I must admit, I look at birds in the States - animals too - and think we're kinda boring here.
Hi again Sarah

Oh I'm interested in all birds, but have a real soft spot for black and white ones! I think we all feel the same about our own birds, but treasure them, you never know if they will suddenly become rare and endangered!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back