• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kids telescope (1 Viewer)

not dave

My kids always pick up those toy telescopes whenever we are walking through a gift shop. I’ve held back from buying them as they don’t seem to provide any magnification whatsoever!

Is there any compact , rugged telescope that would be suitable for children?
I don’t need quality optics are high magnification. 4x would be sufficient, but look for something cheap and rugged.

John Lewis binoculars £10.

Actually an operaglass/Galilean binocular.

About 4x30.

The dangers with optics for kids is that they may look at the Sun with disastrous results.

Old Soviet Turist 10x30 drawtube scope is tough.
Maybe £20? secondhand.

Regards,
B.

Last edited:
Opticron monoculars would be suitable.

For instance the 6x16 or 4x12 Oregon at about £35.
There are others.

In binoculars, the Libra 4x22 is good. 16 plus degree field.

Also the Bushnell 4x21 or 4x30 Xxtrawide. This may be large for small children but kids love the 18 degree wide field.

There is also the Bushnell 5x25 Xtrawide, actually 4.4x.

Regards,
B.

This £19 Apexel 6x20 monocular could be had for £10 a week ago, and is surprisingly good for the price. It can also be used as a stand-off loupe for watching bugs or fish in an aquarium. Solid metal construction, if mechanically a bit crude (no dampening and very short throw).

The smartphone clip is mostly useless, however.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back