• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (14 Viewers)

It's been pretty quiet on the Kingfisher front so it was good to see one at the River Rea, Wychall and then one at Stirchley/Selly Park. The latter one we were lucky to see it fishing for 20 minutes. In that time we saw it catch 4 fish, dive 5 times and do some hovering. Great!
Also of interest was the other spotters whom I just met thought they had once seen a Dipper on the River Rea some 7 years ago. I've not been looking on the River Rea that long so I might have missed it. Something to look out for next winter.
(On my Essex patch I've now seen a Marsh Harrier and the Barn Owl again. I finally saw a Cetti's Warbler after hearing them many a time. Great!)

Last edited:
Early morning Kingfisher at the lower Bourn Brook. I heard it fly past not calling that loud and thought I had missed it. It then flew back towards the big pipes. I was then on the bridge and it flew straight in my direction and flew straight over my head. It flew across the QE roundabout dodging a double decker bus and off down the A38. Probably rejoining the brook further down. I guess it was looking for a partner. I've seen this type of activity in the same spot before. Great!

I thought I was going to struggle to find the River Rea Stirchley/Selly Park Kingfisher as it's all been too quiet recently. It was good to have seen it Friday so I checked out that stretch first but nothing. Then I checked out the good old regular spot and was surprised to see a Kingfisher fly from up high in a bush. They're normally lower down I thought. It flew high to another tree over the river before flying low like I was used to. Great colours in the sunlight.
I couldn't find the Bourn or Bourn Brook Kingfisher. The Bourn Brook is surprisingly quiet.
There was though a surprise Sparrowhawk fly through. Never seen one there before.

I checked out the Bourn and Bourn Brook just as the snow started.
When I was at the Bourn Brook I heard a voice behind me 'you looking for a Kingfisher'? It was another Kingfisher spotter lol.
She'd seen it on Wednesday which was good news.
I then went around the corner and there it was, a Kingfisher!
Sat at the side of the brook it's dull colours blending in with the background.
It's almost one year ago on the same day I saw a Kingfisher in this exact same spot.
Great!

It amazes me that Kings can get through a frozen winter....

Hi Keith, yes and I think this winter has been the harshest for a few years so it was good to find the Bourn Brook Kingfisher. It has been pretty quiet.
Last year there was a few along the Bourn Brook over winter.
The one that was on the Bourn at Valley Parkway has moved on. It fished over an inlet pipe and I saw the Bourn Brook one doing that and a River Rea one before so that's how they survive.

Early morning run to the upper Bourn Brook, I waited and then the Kingfisher flew in calling.
Not sure if it was 2 calling, I didn't want to look to disturb them.
Also 2 Fieldfare, 2 Grey Wagtails & a Goldcrest feeding really close to me.
Great!

Last edited:
Where was the Firecrest? Worth a look tomorrow to see if that's still around.

Apologies Rob, I'll correct that. It was a Goldcrest today by the lower Bourn Brook.
I bumped into some birders on the River Rea a week ago and they said there was a Firecrest up from Dogpool Lane by the bridge over the Rea but I didn't see it myself.

There were a pair of Kingfisher today on the River Rea, sat together, calling to each other with the 2 tone call and then chirping at each other. This went on for 20 minutes. One of them likes to fish from real high up in the trees. Then they flew past and I found the male as I walked back. It was in the zone and caught 2 fish real quick, making a plop noise as it hit the water. I managed to get a couple rubbish photo's as the rain started to come down. Great!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/40671402432/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/88816303@N08/25842754997/in/dateposted-public/

The water levels were high yesterday on the Bourn, Bourn Brook and Rea so I couldn't find a Kingfisher.
I checked out the River Cole and the water level was even higher. In places it was level or up and over the bank. I'd never seen it that high.
The water level had not gone down that much on the River Rea today.
The Bourn Brook levels were not too bad today. I thought I heard a Kingfisher calling in the distance, a really faint call as it was some way down the river.
I was right as a few minutes later a Kingfisher came flying along calling.
I was at the edge of the bank so saw the Kingfisher go past quite closely which was good.
Further up there was a Little Egret, which is still a surprise to see a big white wingspan as it flew off.
The Kingfisher then flew back down and this time I was on a bridge and it flew up and over the bridge and to my side so I saw it closely again.
Great!
(In my back garden I had a Wren fly stop by at my pond which is always good to see. In the pond the frogs are hanging around. I saw a fish dart past so good to see one has survived winter)

Last edited:
Water levels high again on the River Rea and River Cole.
The Kingfisher must give up on the River Cole, levels so high.
First thing on the upper Bourn Brook it was freezing cold.
I just saw the Kingfisher in the distance fly along the brook. Great!

Last edited:
I walked along the path to the Bourn Brook and straight away heard a Kingfisher calling in the distance. I took a closer look and there were two Kingfisher sat together calling to each other. They flew up and down, stopping on branches over the brook. One of them, the male I assume had a fish to offer. Great!

Kingfisher again on the Bourn Brook today. Great!
A quick look on the River Rea & too much water from the rain for a Kingfisher.

I've lost the Kingfisher along the Bourn Brook after all the rain.
I was therefore surprised first to find a Kingfisher on the River Rea at one of last year's nest locations and then another near the good old nest one location. Due to the river water levels and flow it sat in a bush over the side of the river, hid away where the water was calmer. Great!
(A surprise Heron in the trees at the back of the house also today)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back