• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (20 Viewers)

After last weekend when the River Rea Kingfisher went past calling, I thought today I would wait for it to pass and after a few minutes it went past loudly calling.
That's seven times back on the Rea.
On Twitter a Kingfisher is back at Meercroft Pool.

Last edited:
The Kingfisher return continues;
1) Kingfisher first thing on the Bourn Brook.
2) Kingfisher at Merecroft Pool flew across a few times calling.
3) Kingfisher on the River Rea down from Lifford Res. Very vocal.
4) Kingfisher on the River Rea where it goes under the Worc & Birmingham canal. I've looked down there many a time. Today I did not look but heard it calling. A quick look & it flew to some railing calling
Great!

Amazed I could find any Kingfisher this weekend with all the rain.
Saturday was not so bad and I went out running.
After a short while the Kingfisher appeared on the Bourn Brook, the same place for the third time running in the Valley on the same tree branch. The light and visibility was poor and I could just see it.
There was a Heron in the new flood channel/the old res, which made me laugh. It was hunkered down, sat in the rain.
I then continued running to the River Rea.
The Kingfisher was on the flood defence by Dog Pool Lane and gave a good call which was great to hear.
A Little Egret flew over.

Today/Sunday the rain was heavier and I got even wetter on my run lol.
The Bourn Brook was flowing fast and dark and I thought I would never find the Kingfisher.
But I knew there was a chance as the brook was not as bad as when I first found this Kingfisher.
By the round about there were 2 Grey Wagtails.
Then on my run back, the Kingfisher was sat by the weir by the first grey bridge on the walkway.
The brook flow was less and the water more visible than further down where the Stonehouse Brook joins.

Mid day I thought I would check the River Rea at Wychall but as soon as I saw the fast brown water I thought forget it.
So I went to Merecroft. It was quiet and wet lol.
So I gave a few calls and the Kingfisher called back loudly from somewhere off the lake, maybe the outflow stream.
I went to have a look but could not find it.
I gave another call and this time it called from the inlet area. This is a loud and vocal Kingfisher.
It then flew low across the choppy pool and around the island.
It was great!

The Kingfisher on the Bourn Brook by the New Fosse Way roundabout.
Then a Kingfisher on the River Rea flying towards Canon Hill Park.
I must have just missed a Kingfisher on the Bourn at Bournville Valley parkway boating pond. Trevor Jones saw it.
Later the River Cole Kingfisher at the Dingles.

The Bourn Brook Kingfisher was down near the New Fosse Way roundabout this afternoon, next to the footpath by the concrete inlet. It was sat on a branch over the brook. It seems to like deep sections of the brook.

Kingfisher on Olton Mere this morning. First time I've spotted it after several visits during the past 4 months. I regularly saw it this time last year, so pleased it has re-appeared !

Kingfisher on Olton Mere this morning. First time I've spotted it after several visits during the past 4 months. I regularly saw it this time last year, so pleased it has re-appeared !

Hi Old Silhillian, good to hear from you.
I am glad the Kingfisher is back. I noted from BTO there were no Kingfisher reports from Olton Mere.
I saw one there once.
I lost several Kingfisher this year.
After the beast from the east the usual 2 pairs went missing on the River Rea as did the 2 pairs on the Bourn & Bourn Brook and a pair at the River Cole at Stetchford.
Thankfully there were a pair on the River Cole at Trittiford.
The Kingfisher have slowly returned on the River Rea, Bourn & Bourn Brook. Though it was dead quiet for ages.
Today the Kingfisher was along the Bourn Brook again.

On Friday the Bourn Brook Kingfisher was flying up the valley past the blue bridge. It now seems to like the section where the brook splits into two. I had a look and there are pools formed by the brook with obviously fish in them. About 20 to 30 fish.
Yesterday it appeared in the valley again from the same area.

Pair of Kingfisher calling each other on Grand Union Canal, Acocks Green this afternoon. First time I've seen more than one and first spot since last December on this stretch.

A Kingfisher flew across Priory Mill/Bamptons Pool, Yardley Wood at 1643 this evening whilst I was recording the Little Egret roost.

Nice one James!

A Kingfisher this morning on the Bourn Brook walkway then one this afternoon on the River Rea at Stirchley. Good to find one further up the Rea, there used to be one on this section.

On my run first thing along the Bourn Brook walkway, the Kingfisher was by the blue bridge. Right next to it over the brook.
I was not going to bother with the River Rea but glad I did.
On the footpath adjacent to where the Bourn meets the Rea I heard loud repetitive Kingfisher calls. So I walked along the path next to the Rea and saw 2 Kingfisher fly off from the river bank.
I was quite surprised and carried on along the Rea.
I was not going to bother taking a look on my usual hidden section but I did and was even more surprised another Kingfisher in a hedge over the water.
It then flew up and over the hedge.
Good to have found a few Kingfisher and this explains where the 2 from the Bourn might have disappeared to.
They might have been the same 2 as I found on the Rea a few weeks back.
Also more obvious for fish they would end up on the Rea.

The River Rea Kingfisher today was at the same spot as last Saturday.
I didn't check there were anymore.
I did a full run of the Bourn Brook walkway. I heard the Kingfisher down by the concrete inlet near the big pipes.
Back at the blue bridge it flew along the valley under me.
And flew back downstream through the trees and stopped just down from me.
It checked out a few trees and then flew on.

On my run the Bourn Brook Kingfisher was sat by the blue bridge, the River Rea Kingfisher was by nest 1.
At Kings Norton playing fields there was a surprise Kingfisher along the brook parallel to the canal.
At Northfield manor another Kingfisher on the River Rea.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back