• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kingfishers (17 Viewers)

Start of November there was the first light River Rea CH Kingfisher. Then I didn't hear it so tried KN & there was a first light Kingfisher. It liked to fly in & call. Then with all the rain it would fly up the clearer drainage channel. Then I'd continue my bike ride to Lifford & time it right for a Kingfisher calling there. Saw it very early in the dark & it had already caught a fish. Then one morning there were 2 calling. Next on my bike ride was a TA Kingfisher, then I'd sometimes find the PM, CH or DH Kingfisher.
One morning early, bad light I saw the DH Kingfisher catch 2 fish from 4 dives.

December I think 4 Kingfisher max along the River Rea Lifford to CH, Bourn Brook had 3 with an adult female turning up. Probably dropped down from the canal.
End of year, new year no Bourn Brook Kingfisher seems to have disappeared with all the rain. New year River Rea CH & TA Kingfisher.

Over the holidays, I saw a Kingfisher on Lifford Reservoir. If first flew in next to me before stopping on the opposite side.
I got a long distance photo.
Then seen it along the adjacent River Rea.
Then a few Kingfisher along the Rea; TA, PM & CH.
Early morning they head up the Bourn Brook if there's rain, I assume to Edgbaston pool.
I saw an Edgbaston Kestrel heading the same way.
Seen less of the Kingfishers along the Bourn Brook, again due to the rain.
They reappeared this week. I note on birdtrack one along the above canal.
Today a surprise Kingfisher on the Bourn, Bournville.

Regular Kingfishers along the River Rea this month at Lifford, Stirchley/TA, PM & CH.
They disappeared with all the rain & then reappeared when the river levels were back to usual.
On the PM/CH stretch there are 2 younger birds & now an older adult female has appeared.
It might be an adult female from Lifford or Stirchley/TA or another?
That could be 4 or 5 Kingfisher from Lifford onwards.
There was a report of 2 Kingfisher at Wychall. I checked & saw one along the usual stretch.
Not checked much to see any KN Kingfisher.
The Bourn Brook Kingfisher are getting less frequent. And I wonder if the Woodgate KF is the same bird further along.
Seen the odd Kingfisher at the uni & that might have been a River Rea bird.
Never saw the adult female again but that might be another Rea bird.

I have just been scrolling down Instagram and I've just viewed a post from 'sheldoncountryparkofficial' from yesterday with a photograph of a Kingfisher perched on a branch. It looks like the lower part of the beak is pinky so it could be a female. The post doesn't say which part of Sheldon Country Park it was, or if it was perched above a water course, which one it was.

I have just been scrolling down Instagram and I've just viewed a post from 'sheldoncountryparkofficial' from yesterday with a photograph of a Kingfisher perched on a branch. It looks like the lower part of the beak is pinky so it could be a female. The post doesn't say which part of Sheldon Country Park it was, or if it was perched above a water course, which one it was.
Hi, yes I've seen Kingfisher further along that brook before it joins the River Cole.

In Feb 3 or 4 Kingfisher along the River Rea from Lifford onwards.
Then less frequent in March as I think 2 then held the territory.
I saw 3 female Kingfishers all at previous nesting sites.
The 2 also moved the CH Kingfisher up the Bourn Brook as far as the Uni.
A good surprise was an early morning Kestrel. Now seen it a few times.
I then saw the 2 Peregrine flying around the hospital & Uni.
First 2 singing Chiffchaff was 17th March.

I had a close encounter with a Kingfisher yesterday at Brueton / Malvern Park in Solihull (13/4/2023). It flew along the Blythe from under the Warwick Road bridge across the footpath around the lake in front of me and onto the island on Brueton Park lake.

I had a close encounter with a Kingfisher yesterday at Brueton / Malvern Park in Solihull (13/4/2023). It flew along the Blythe from under the Warwick Road bridge across the footpath around the lake in front of me and onto the island on Brueton Park lake.
Nice one CC! Given the time of year it might be nesting nearby.

3 pairs of Kingfisher along the River Rea.
Juvenile Kingfisher from one nest.
(There was a 4th nest but I think too close to the next nest & territorial dispute so it failed/Kingfishers gone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back