• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kite Flying in Tregaron (1 Viewer)

ralph

Old Hand
Quite by chance, I ended up in Tregaron (near Lampeter) this afternoon. I'd been to Lampeter plenty of times before, and had always marvelled at the occasional Red Kite in the skies as I travelled to and from there.

Today was a different matter. As we approached Tregaron in the car, the sky ahead appeared to have lots and lots of swirling birds. Red Kites. Lots of Red Kites. We didn't have time to stop and pull over, but a quick count (birds in the air, birds on the ground, birds on telegraph poles) revealed between 35 and 50 of these great birds. And no feeding station in site!

A fabulous spectacle. Get over here and witness it for yourself!

:t:

Worth the trip Andrew, believe me. Give 'us a shout if you're ever in this neck of the woods and we'll find you some.

Ralph

I hate to burst the bubble but there is a feeding station at Tregarron. It is based at a farm but I can't remember the name of it. I have been by the side of it and watched them from a road that bisects the land between the farm and a nature reserve (which if my memory serves me right is called Cors Caron).

It is a lovely area to birdwatch but may I recommend one route to use, both for the birds you may see and the absolute fantastic scenery.

If you pinpoint Tregarron on the map then look due east towards Builth Wells you will see a small town called Beulah. There is a small road that connects Beulah with Tregarron. That is my recommended drive.

Andrew

Where abouts in Staffs are you looking at to drive to Tregarron? I ask because you might find that Rhayder is probably a lot closer to there than Tregarron.

It's just that I sometimes visit my bruv in Featherstone and thought it might be close enough to some Welsh Kites.

Sounds like you happened on a marvellous sight Ralph. I'd love to get over there one day as well.

Andrew,

AutoRoute tells me that Featherstone is 111 miles from Tregaron. Through Shrewsbury down to Newtown, down the A483 to Tregaron.

JohnJ,

Thanks for letting me know about the feeding station. At the time I did wonder whether I was anywhere near the 'infamous' Gigrin Farm, but I wasn't sure. I wasn't aware there was more than one feeding station.

Peter,

I'm sure you'll get round to it one day! Even though it was an awesome sight, I still think that seeing just one or two in the air just up the road from my house is more awe-inspiring than seeing the sky filled with them. But we aren't getting into that argument again chaps, are we?!

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back