• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Large orange-billed tern - Walvis Bay, Namibia (1 Viewer)

Keanumrc

Hi all

A friend of mine recently photographed a large orange-billed tern in Walvis Bay, Namibia. It was subsequently identified as a Lesser Crested Tern by a local expert. However, surely the bill is too heavy and the bird too big in comparison to the surrounding Common Terns, for it to be Lesser Crested? What about Royal Tern instead? Perhaps international birders with experience with these two species could help out?

Thank you!

Keanu

Attachments

• IMG-20170704-WA0002[1].jpg
    IMG-20170704-WA0002[1].jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 265
The extensively white head fits winter plumage Royal better; L-c retains a bit more black.

Whether African Royal or American Royal . . . . dunno!

The photo quality is not great. I am looking at the two birds behind the Orange-billed tern, and it seems that every shadow has deepened to pitch black. As such, I would not trust the tone on the back of the bird in question to reflect what it really looked like.

Niels

It's not royal for me. As well as the dark back feathers, I'd expect more of a gonydeal angle mid-way along the bill if it were royal (although my experience is with American royal, not African)

Thanks for the quick replies!

The bird was apparently preening and ruffling its feathers so maybe that's the cause of the dark blotches on its mantle?

A quick Google of the possibilities will show that the mantle of this bird is significantly darker than expected for royal. You might think this is some kind of artefact as Niels suggests. Personally, I don't see the colours of the other birds pictured as especially distorted and so don't think this applies. I'm also happy to understand the darker blotches as either darker individual feathers or as shadows underneath raised feathers. The point about the bill is that it appears to taper smoothly to a point : for royal expect more of a "step" part way along.

A quick Google of the possibilities will show that the mantle of this bird is significantly darker than expected for royal. You might think this is some kind of artefact as Niels suggests. Personally, I don't see the colours of the other birds pictured as especially distorted and so don't think this applies. I'm also happy to understand the darker blotches as either darker individual feathers or as shadows underneath raised feathers. The point about the bill is that it appears to taper smoothly to a point : for royal expect more of a "step" part way along.

The problem is... what else? Bill looks very big, not like Lesser Crested. Swift / Great Crested ? That would explain long, curved bill and dark mantle...

I have never seen a Crested Tern with an orange bill, they are always yellowy or greeny, so the possible hybrid is intriguing. West African Royal Terns do indeed look very white, so the Nambian bird that was the original query is a real puzzle, and the bill does look heavy for Lesser Crested.

I have never seen a Crested Tern with an orange bill, they are always yellowy or greeny, so the possible hybrid is intriguing. West African Royal Terns do indeed look very white, so the Nambian bird that was the original query is a real puzzle, and the bill does look heavy for Lesser Crested.

I've seen some in UAE and Oman, I'll check if I've a photo to share.

Interesting thread. For me, I'd be very wary of being sure that what we can see on this single low res pic is actually what the bird looks like. I wouldn't trust the size, mantle colour, amount of white on the head, and true bill colour and shape. In this case notes of what was actually observed in the field would be far more useful than a dodgy pic.

I'm also with Alino Vegano on the possibility of Greater Crested Tern looking alarmingly orange-billed. I remember encountering this in Southern Africa. It was certainly far from the clear-cut "orange versus green" as field guides may suggest. I remember the impression given in the field varied depending on light and angle, don't know how this could potentially translate in a pic of this nature.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back